• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

You may well be right, but I feel like this thinking is asking for disappointment. There is not a lot of precedent of a first team all conference (major conference) player (guard especially) with a legitimate shot at an NBA roster coming back to school. Tyler Kolek, maybe?

Probably it’s just the wake fan in me, but to me the most likely scenario is that Hunter tests the process, decides to leave late, handcuffing us for getting a replacement. Then we all fight over how much of that is Forbes’ fault as we have another interesting but disappointing season.
my recollection is that the timing on the draft and portal windows are pretty tough on coaches with regard to guys that may or may not return to school

This is the kinda shit we need to hear. Love it.
I mean the number mentioned would certianly be feasible - but at the end of the day, Hunter will decide whether he wants to go to the draft or stay at Wake. Is there a number that helps him decide? Maybe. What is it? Nobody outside of the Sallis family knows right now. It could be too high. The number mentioned in thismesage board post though would certainly be feasible.

Around the time of the Duke game, it was understood it would probably be a stretch to get him back. Have things changed since? Maybe.

Wake Forest is always going to be more [major] donor reliant than others. That said, if RTQ can string together 200 Wake Basketball fans to give $50 per month ($600/year), that = $120,000 which is enough for a starting caliber player in the ACC. RTQ isn'tasking every fan to fund the entire roster.

If that is the way they plan to fundraise to keep a basketball program going they will never be a top competitive program again. That is peanuts. But that is the dilema for all the smaller private schools. Not sure the NIL system can ever be viable for the wake forest, Villanova type schools And not sure the lack of success the last 20 years has really drawn in or graduated many big donors

Villanova spent $3 million in NIL on the 2024 roster. Villanova has money and no football. They will spend on NIL. They brought in high-priced transfers from Washington State, Maryland and Richmond.

The problem for NOVA is not talent acquisition via cash, but coaching after Jay Wright left.

I can't remember if this was the thread talking about schedule for next year or if that was somewhere else, I can't keep up - but regardless, do the SEC-ACC challenge matchups come down to final standings from this year? i.e. will we play the 5th place SEC regular season finisher from this year (Bama I think?)? Or is it not as set in stone as that? I seem to recall the ACC-B1G challenge having elements of that but don't know about the new setup. Just thinking if it's possible to predict if we'll have a Q1 opportunity here (I assume yes since we'll be on the road)...

If that is the way they plan to fundraise to keep a basketball program going they will never be a top competitive program again. That is peanuts. But that is the dilema for all the smaller private schools. Not sure the NIL system can ever be viable for the wake forest, Villanova type schools And not sure the lack of success the last 20 years has really drawn in or graduated many big donors
I think you overesitmate other schools' NIL Collectives.

The company RTQ operates under works with 53 of them. Wake Forest is in a very competitive space relative to their P5 peers right now (granted, mostly on the backs of a dozen individuals). Every contribition from every fan matters.

@RollTheQuadNIL a colleague of mine who is a Louisville alum said a ‘suggested’ NIL donation is included as a line item on his season ticket invoice. Is this accurate? Possible for Wake?

Villanova spent $3 million in NIL on the 2024 roster. Villanova has money and no football. They will spend on NIL. They brought in high-priced transfers from Washington State, Maryland and Richmond.

The problem for NOVA is not talent acquisition via cash, but coaching after Jay Wright left.
It would be nice if we could avoid the same posters who bring up Jessie Bates as a 2 star recruit to disparage recruiting rankings finding this post and quoting Villanova's season this year as a way of saying that NIL isn't an important part of winning in college sports.

I do think the programs that are most successful with NIL will be primarily using it to retain talent as opposed to having a team primarily composed of NIL mercenaries. I imagine the total NIL spend ends up being much less with a retention focus as opposed to an acquisition focus

@RollTheQuadNIL a colleague of mine who is a Louisville alum said a ‘suggested’ NIL donation is included as a line item on his season ticket invoice. Is this accurate? Possible for Wake?
If you can get compliance on board with this, then yes. Unfortunate the school takes the most conservative route possible on items like this right now

I mean the number mentioned would certianly be feasible - but at the end of the day, Hunter will decide whether he wants to go to the draft or stay at Wake. Is there a number that helps him decide? Maybe. What is it? Nobody outside of the Sallis family knows right now. It could be too high. The number mentioned in thismesage board post though would certainly be feasible.

Around the time of the Duke game, it was understood it would probably be a stretch to get him back. Have things changed since? Maybe.

Wake Forest is always going to be more [major] donor reliant than others. That said, if RTQ can string together 200 Wake Basketball fans to give $50 per month ($600/year), that = $120,000 which is enough for a starting caliber player in the ACC. RTQ isn'tasking every fan to fund the entire roster.
Could you post the info as to how to do this. Thanks. Go Deacs!!

We've been through this before: it's not just the one year NIL bump that RTQ will offer versus his rookie NBA salary that Sallis and his 'advisors' will consider. There are so many factors at play. Most are slanted into heading to the NBA, but not all. Given previous experiences and knowledge of how this all works, Forbes will keep the door open and hope Hunter returns, but will plan as if Sallis is leaving. This going to play out for a couple of months.
You’re right of course - but the bold is like walking along a razor’s edge as each gets in the way of the other.

Anyone who wants to be the guy and filling in our hole at Sallis position may be dissuaded by Sallis potentially being back.

If we hold back whatever amount of NIL that could go to Sallis, that’s likely a large chunk of our potential pool not going to someone else.

And of course the scholarship. At present, we’d have space for 1 guy in the portal if assuming Sallis comes back (yes I assume we will hear about additional transfers soon and that number will grow). It’s limiting.

Good overview of last year's second-round picks that were 40 or higher. Only eight of these 28 picks got guaranteed deals.

40. Los Angeles Lakers: Maxwell Lewis, F, Pepperdine: Signed
- Four-year, minimum-salary contract. First two years guaranteed. Third year partially guaranteed. Fourth-year team option.
41. Charlotte Hornets: Amari Bailey, G, UCLA: Signed
- Two-way contract.
42. Washington Wizards: Tristan Vukcevic, F, Partizan Belgrade: Signed
- Two-year, $4,849,784 contract. First year guaranteed. Second-year team option.
43. Portland Trail Blazers: Rayan Rupert, G, New Zealand Breakers: Signed
- Three-year, minimum-salary contract. First two years guaranteed. Third-year team option.
44. San Antonio Spurs: Sidy Cissoko, G, G League Ignite: Signed
- Three-year, minimum-salary contract. First two years guaranteed. Third year non-guaranteed.
45. Memphis Grizzlies: GG Jackson, F, South Carolina: Signed
- Two-way contract.
46. Atlanta Hawks: Seth Lundy, G, Penn State: Signed
- Two-way contract.
47. Indiana Pacers: Mojave King, G, G League Ignite: Will play in G League
48. Los Angeles Clippers: Jordan Miller, F, Miami: Signed
- Two-way contract.
49. Cleveland Cavaliers: Emoni Bates, G/F, Eastern Michigan: Signed
Two-way contract.
50. Oklahoma City Thunder: Keyontae Johnson, F, Kansas State: Signed
- Two-way contract.
50. Brooklyn Nets: Jalen Wilson, F, Kansas: Signed
- Two-way contract.
51. Phoenix Suns: Toumani Camara, F, Dayton: Signed
- Four-year, minimum-salary contract. First year guaranteed. Fourth-year team option.
52. Minnesota Timberwolves: Jaylen Clark, G, UCLA: Signed
- Two-way contract.
53. Sacramento Kings: Jalen Slawson, F, Furman: Signed
- Two-way contract.
54. Indiana Pacers: Isaiah Wong, G, Miami: Signed
- Two-way contract.
55. Memphis Grizzlies: Tarik Biberovic, G/F, Fenerbahce: Will play overseas
56. Golden State Warriors: Trayce Jackson-Davis, F, Indiana: Signed
- Four-year, minimum-salary contract. First two years guaranteed. Fourth-year team option.
57. Milwaukee Bucks: Chris Livingston, F, Kentucky: Signed
- Four-year, minimum-salary contract. First two years guaranteed. Fourth-year team option.
I looked up a similar list a week or two ago but including a few prior years.

Not only did very few players get legit contracts at that spot, but you also can't just say "he signed a 2 way contract" and rubber stamp it as a $500k+ payday. A bunch of those guys only got a portion of that due to prorated contracts or getting cut shortly after playing a few NBA games since they're not guaranteed deals.

Sallis loves Wake, his family loves Wake, we've got legit NIL money now, he rose from complete obscurity to an early 2nd rounder under Forbes, and next year he'll be the focal point of what should be an ACC contender and NCAA tournament lock. He can be more aggressive showing off his athleticism all year, expand his shooting range a bit, get a late 1st round pick and win the 6th man award as a rookie in the NBA. Done and dusted.

I nominate KD Johnson from Auburn as the "underperforming portal guard Forbes turns into an All ACC player", if Sallis leaves.

I saw efton having a really in depth conversation with one of the Georgia players after the handshake line. They were both covering their mouth and leaning in to talk
I honestly think you see the end of the handshake line eventually with the portal.

Back