• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

I'd take Tyree over Boopie every day of the week... BUT we just saw Boopie's 2nd year of college hoops. We saw Appleby's 5th.
Wasn't it really his 6th since he had to miss a year when he transferred to Florida?

I think it was kinda overlooked that when Tyree was here he was 24 years old. Some guys are having their best statistical seasons in the NBA at that age.

After being involved in it from 1987-2004 on the floor, a full gym was a real rarity. Back then too you only had Tennessee, State, UNC plus a couple other SEC schools that had great crowds. UConn with Geno was just starting to heat up once he left UVa as an assistant to Debbie Ryan. For the longest time it was just him vs Pat Summit.

That was 20 years ago. Every major conference hoops game is on TV or streaming now.

Boopie was a good sophomore PG. People are working hard to not be worried about replacing him.

That was 20 years ago. Every major conference hoops game is on TV or streaming now.

Boopie was a good sophomore PG. People are working hard to not be worried about replacing him.
I like him for the fact you can’t press him. I don’t like a lot of what he does going up amongst the trees with nowhere to go. Dribbles far too much and can make some mindless turnovers. But when he gets it going line against Appy, watch out.

Boopie isn't a PG. He is a scorer. When the ball hits his hands that his his first thought, put the ball in the hoop. He's good at it and can achieve that objective in a variety of ways. Forbes made the same mistake that Odom made with O'Kelly. Just because they are the shortest of the guards doesn't mean they are PG's. Boopie might become a PG some day if he works at it, but I would not be surprised if he chooses a team that already has a PG. Part time PG and full time SG is more to his liking.

Boopie isn't a PG. He is a scorer. When the ball hits his hands that his his first thought, put the ball in the hoop. He's good at it and can achieve that objective in a variety of ways. Forbes made the same mistake that Odom made with O'Kelly. Just because they are the shortest of the guards doesn't mean they are PG's. Boopie might become a PG some day if he works at it, but I would not be surprised if he chooses a team that already has a PG. Part time PG and full time SG is more to his liking.
I don’t have any inside knowledge of exactly what happened, but I recollect Odom knew full well that O’Kelly was not a PG. I recollect that O’Kelly demanded he be moved to point guard , as that was the only possible way he was going to get NBA interest.

disagree. like the previous poster said, if you had a checklist of characteristics you wanted in a point guard, boopie has pretty much none of them. his lack of height is what makes him a “PG” but that doesn’t mean he should be playing there.

Wasn't it really his 6th since he had to miss a year when he transferred to Florida?

I think it was kinda overlooked that when Tyree was here he was 24 years old. Some guys are having their best statistical seasons in the NBA at that age.

Tyree is actually older than Alondes Williams. He’s turning 26 in September.

Wake is losing its top 2 scorers and 42% of its total offensive production given Boopie’s departure and if Sallis goes to the NBA, which I still think is the most likely outcome. Also need to basically completely overhaul the bench. Some big holes to fill to make next years team upper echelon in the ACC.

Boopie is a solid player and has room to grow. I was really excited to have him here, and what I thought going forward. I am really disappointed but I understand he is just trying to get his…can’t fault him. I can see him going back to Chicago, or near there.

As a player, he is not a true PG, more of a combo lead guard. He really likes to shoot and doesn’t get players involved much, they just sort of stand around knowing they will not get the ball when he is going downhill. He has a really nice mid-range game and once his 3pt shot is more consistent he will be tough to guard.

I wish I was as optimistic as some here are (or at least somewhere in the middle). But there's a "'tis but a scratch" vibe that just doesn't align with my experience with WFU sports in general or WFU basketball in particular. That experience tells me we live in the great mediocre, with brief movements up (to get our hopes up because we want it so bad) and then back down (to crush us again).

My guess (and I hope I get dragged for being wrong) is that we'll cobble together a decent-looking roster. Then we'll under-perform, end up on the bubble, maybe sneak into the tournament. But is there any part of me that believes we'll ever go on a NC State (or any other non-elite team that gets hot, finds consistency and goes deep into the tournament) sort of run? I hate it, but nope.

I wish I didn't feel that way.

apologies in advance for this rant

i think the reason players like boopie are generally overrated is closely related to why every piece of evidence suggests european basketball is more efficient than nba / american basketball (tons of yt videos about this): points per game is by far the most overrated stat in basketball.

logically, scoring the basketball (which is more than ppg, since efficiency is a factor too) is only 10% of the game:

50% of basketball is offense, 50% is defense.

on offense, 1/5 is what you do with the ball, the other 4/5 is making it easier for your teammates (passing, spacing, not turning it over, setting picks, cutting, offensive rebounding, etc.).

that 80% of offense without the ball (plus the entire half of basketball that is playing defense) is usually gets unfortunately overshadowed

I wish I was as optimistic as some here are (or at least somewhere in the middle). But there's a "'tis but a scratch" vibe that just doesn't align with my experience with WFU sports in general or WFU basketball in particular. That experience tells me we live in the great mediocre, with brief movements up (to get our hopes up because we want it so bad) and then back down (to crush us again).

My guess (and I hope I get dragged for being wrong) is that we'll cobble together a decent-looking roster. Then we'll under-perform, end up on the bubble, maybe sneak into the tournament. But is there any part of me that believes we'll ever go on a NC State (or any other non-elite team that gets hot, finds consistency and goes deep into the tournament) sort of run? I hate it, but nope.

I wish I didn't feel that way.
TITCR. Witness this year's baseball team.

Back