• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Scholarships are granted on a year by year basis. Would not be surprised if Forbes told Marsh, Keller, or Clark that if you want a basketball scholarship start portaling cuz its not going to be from here. Forbes is coaching for his job, cant afford to have guys hog scholarships that are not making the team better.

I really have to go back to some of the earlier departures. Marsh has been here for 3 years, fellow Brit to Cam, and and fellow big man to Carr. What was that conversation like between Marsh and Forbes? The guy was one year away from graduating from Wake. Did Forbes ask him to leave b/c he thought he could upgrade? If so, could have driven a huge hole in the team. When your teammates just start disappearing, much less incentive for you to stick around.
Prior to Reid becoming eligible, Matt Marsh was a starter in the ACC, and then he suddenly became a healthy scratch in a large number of games. I don't think Forbes had to force him into the portal. No matter who they are, basketball players want to get on the court, and there was no path for Marsh to do that in significant minutes next year at Wake.

My take (based on zero inside info) is that Marsh does not like playing basketball. He was only on the team for a free education and was trying to do just enough to not get cut. Finally Forbes had enough and told him the free ride is over this offseason. He would have happily rode the bench on his way to a free Wake degree.

My take (based on zero inside info) is that Marsh does not like playing basketball. He was only on the team for a free education and was trying to do just enough to not get cut. Finally Forbes had enough and told him the free ride is over this offseason. He would have happily rode the bench on his way to a free Wake degree.
If you don’t mind, can you keep baseless speculation that is highly insulting to current and/or former Wake athletes to yourself?

Just say you think he was bad at basketball man, you don’t gotta throw in this extra stuff.

Did Forbes even ask him (marsh to leave) or was it --- you've been here 3 years and you're at this level. We can give you x dollars, but i'm going to be looking for a big that will take your minutes and I expect you to work on x, y, z over the summer. It could be that it was Marsh that decided to portal..

Yeah that is a wild story. Coach wouldn't take his scholly, and even if Marsh isn't a starter etc, he's useful to practice against and have a big body.

Love looking to see how Duke wastes talent.

5 star TJ Power was the #17 player in the HS Class of 2023. This season, Power had 10 "DNP coach's decision". In 13 other games, he played 5 or less minutes. He scored a total of 52 points in 36 Duke games. Almost all of them were in garbage time. WF offered Power, and he would have a big role for WF, had he head to WF. Power is not even listed as a possible late round pick on any NBA draft boards

Sean Stewart was the #22 player in the HS Class of 2023. He played more than 10 minutes in a game twice. Both blowouts. Stewart got no meaningful minutes. NBA is a pipe dream right now for him.

Those guys are now fucked as even if most of the current Devil starters go the NBA (not clear), as Duke has recruited over them with the incoming recruiting class. In addition, Duke may try to grab a nugget out of the portal given the projected youth on the 2024-5 roster. Also, the draft stock for Filipowski has dropped. At one time, he was considered a lottery lock; now, he's generally thought to be late first round. Same story with Mark Mitchell, who came to Duke as the #13 player in his class; now is not on most draft boads and even Tyrese Proctor, who is not a first round lock.

No program wastes talent and ruins NBA futures like Duke.
I'd just like to thank the current students for rushing the court against duke, tanking filipowski's draft stock, and starting wake's downward spiral.

Did Forbes even ask him (marsh to leave) or was it --- you've been here 3 years and you're at this level. We can give you x dollars, but i'm going to be looking for a big that will take your minutes and I expect you to work on x, y, z over the summer. It could be that it was Marsh that decided to portal..

If only the green super users still existed, they would have the details on this convo but looks like that perk is now reserved only for premium ogboards.com subscribers

I assume if Carr leaves, it is for professional opportunities. If he transfers... dagger.

If Cam or Carr are serious threats to go, then I am not sure what WF can do next.

If we can't outspend other programs and we can't sell a winning culture, then what we can sell is we play a style that showcases your talent to make money somewhere else. Which doesn't actually translate into meaningful wins for our program, but can get some talent in the door.

College sports, yay!
Why can't WF find equal or better options through the portal?

Carr came to WF through the portal, and WF has excelled finding talent via the portal. Want both back, but if they leave, the staff has the track record of bringing really good, and sometimes great talent (as in ACC POYs and NBA 1st round picks) through the portal. Plus, WF has the NIL money to be competitive with almost anyone in college basketball. If WF has to rebuild its roster each year, the staff has shown it can do that. Whether this is good for college basketball (its not) or whether its makes it hard for the fans (it does) is a different question, but I believe this staff will find good players through the portal. It has every year.

Last edited:
Did anyone else think it was pretty weird that Carr made it clear that he thought he was going to get a job from Forbes after he finished playing in his wake forest story?

I assume if Carr leaves, it is for professional opportunities. If he transfers... dagger.
That's BS. Carr came to WF via the portal. Why would anyone be shocked if left via the portal, given the circumstances?

Carr grew up outside of Philly (West Chester, PA). Villanova was the marquee program for him his entire life; they won two Natty's while Carr was in HS. While at Delaware, he played against Nova in the NCAAT, and that Nova team went to the Final 4.

Carr followed his dad to Delaware (his Dad and uncle both played at UD). Even so, he left Delaware to play at WF because it was a better opportunity. Villanova because of many circumstances may be too hard to pass up. It's not like he's putting himself out to the highest bidder. It was stated that this was not a money grab (although Nova does offer nice NIL payouts to its players).

Carr has one year of eligibility left. Understand why he might want to spend it a half hour drive from his home to play for a program that he always dreamed to play for. This isn't a dagger. This is college basketball with unrestricted free agency.

That's BS. Carr grew up outside of Philly. Villanova was the marquee program for him his entire life; they won two Natty's while Carr was in HS. While at Delaware, he played against Nova in the NCAAT, and that Nova team went to the Final 4.

Carr followed his dad to Delaware (his Dad and uncle both played at UD). Even so, he left Delaware to play at WF because it was a better opportunity. Villanova because of many circumstances may be too hard to pass up. It's not like he's putting himself out to the highest bidder. It was stated that this was not a money grab (although Nova does offer nice NIL payouts to its players).

Carr has one year of eligibility left. Understand why he might want to spend it a half hour drive from his home to play for a program that he always dreamed to play for. This isn't a dagger. This is college basketball with unrestricted free agency.
Why can't it be a dagger to Wake? It will hurt to see him playing for another college team. I'm not mad at him for doing whatever he wants to do.

I’m not saying it doesn’t have legs, but the only place that is saying anything about Carr is the crazy other board. I believe nothing posted over there.

Why can't it be a dagger to Wake? It will hurt to see him playing for another college team. I'm not mad at him for doing whatever he wants to do.
Because WF will have a ship and the money to find another transfer that is as good or better. That's college basketball these days. You take the circumstances as they are and you find the best options. Our staff has excelled at that. People have to stop thinking of college basketball rosters as anyting other than one year teams. Once the season is over, you build your next team. Sometimes from scratch or close to from scratch.

I’m not saying it doesn’t have legs, but the only place that is saying anything about Carr is the crazy other board. I believe nothing posted over there.
It has legs. The other board identified the source and he's legit. He does not work for 247. He covers college hoop and has been accurate with other info about the WF program.

i am sorry, i am just not going to buy this without some sort of reference on april fools day.

NOPE!

Back