• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

So suggesting there should be a plan in place is a straw man argument?
Yes, it’s a straw man. No one is arguing for a refusal to plan. If a coach has missed the tournament 4 straight years how do you not have a plan? Requiring the AD to have a replacement ready in-order to make a change is what I disagree with. Summarizing that disagreement as “plan” or “no plan” is fucking stupid.

I mean, the AD purportedly had a plan. The plan was to extend Coach Forbes after 2-3 years of basketball with no NCAA bids. And as has been said around here (I haven't seen it officially reported, although I haven't looked very hard), the AD executed that plan.

I know this has been hashed out on these boards ad nauseum. but the acc has earned 5 bids each of the last 3 seasons into the ncaat. 9 different programs have received bids. WF winning % in acc games is 57% which is 5th over that span. we are literally so so close. a single win here or there, would have made a big difference. this discussion of burning it down because the grass is greener is ridiculous and extremely premature. forbes is a victim of his own success in some ways. had he won 2 fewer games in '21-22, and 2 more in '23-24 these boards are a whole different discussion.

I know this has been hashed out on these boards ad nauseum. but the acc has earned 5 bids each of the last 3 seasons into the ncaat. 9 different programs have received bids. WF winning % in acc games is 57% which is 5th over that span. we are literally so so close. a single win here or there, would have made a big difference. this discussion of burning it down because the grass is greener is ridiculous and extremely premature. forbes is a victim of his own success in some ways. had he won 2 fewer games in '21-22, and 2 more in '23-24 these boards are a whole different discussion.
Obviously it didn't work out (and Forbes should be criticized for that too) but I feel like it's important to note that we lost seven games in '22-'23 by a basket. Literally anything goes on our way on one or two more shots in at least half of those games and that team is in the tournament imo

Reactions: GaK
Obviously it didn't work out (and Forbes should be criticized for that too) but I feel like it's important to note that we lost seven games in '22-'23 by a basket. Literally anything goes on our way on one or two more shots in at least half of those games and that team is in the tournament imo

I think our fans are already looking back on the season and justifying the outcome as being "pretty close" to where we want to be

The reality (to me) is that this season was defined by:
  • 7 games below that were winnable with blown leads:
@ Georgia - 8 pt lead mid 1st half
Utah - 12 pt lead in the 2nd half
@ NC State - 12 pt lead just before halftime
@ Pitt - 12 pt lead early in the 2nd half
@ ND - 9 pt lead early in the 2nd half
@ VT - 15 point lead end of 1st half
Ga Tech - no lead until 18 seconds left, we went up one... and still lost
  • After beating Duke to get to 18-9, cusp of being ranked in the top 25, rumblings of a darkhorse NCCAT no one wants to play... we completely fell apart and limped to an early NIT exit

If we're going to have 80% roster turnover every offseason, then this kind of season isn't building towards anything in the future. It's just a colossal disappointment with a team that has maybe 1-3 guys that have NBA potential. We already missed the NCAAT with 2 nba players. So it's not talent holding these teams back.... ???

I think our fans are already looking back on the season and justifying the outcome as being "pretty close" to where we want to be

The reality (to me) is that this season was defined by:
  • 7 games below that were winnable with blown leads:
@ Georgia - 8 pt lead mid 1st half
Utah - 12 pt lead in the 2nd half
@ NC State - 12 pt lead just before halftime
@ Pitt - 12 pt lead early in the 2nd half
@ ND - 9 pt lead early in the 2nd half
@ VT - 15 point lead end of 1st half
Ga Tech - no lead until 18 seconds left, we went up one... and still lost
  • After beating Duke to get to 18-9, cusp of being ranked in the top 25, rumblings of a darkhorse NCCAT no one wants to play... we completely fell apart and limped to an early NIT exit

If we're going to have 80% roster turnover every offseason, then this kind of season isn't building towards anything in the future. It's just a colossal disappointment with a team that has maybe 1-3 guys that have NBA potential. We already missed the NCAAT with 2 nba players. So it's not talent holding these teams back.... ???
Would Alondes, Jake, or Hunter (not sure who the 1-2 others are here) have ever seen the NBA if it wasn't for Steve Forbes? Maybe, but I doubt it based on their prior performance. Maybe Jake would have found himself in a similar situation and shined, but I don't think Alondes or Hunter would have.

Basically, what I'm saying is that you can't not give Forbes credit for finding, developing, and scheming for that level of talent. I'm on record many times saying Forbes is a below-average in-game coach, which has to change somehow for us to achieve our goals. We also need some semblance of depth, which Forbes has proven he can obtain at prior stops, but has yet to materialize at Wake due to a combination of bad luck and recruiting misses.

Would Alondes, Jake, or Hunter (not sure who the 1-2 others are here) have ever seen the NBA if it wasn't for Steve Forbes? Maybe, but I doubt it based on their prior performance. Maybe Jake would have found himself in a similar situation and shined, but I don't think Alondes or Hunter would have.

Basically, what I'm saying is that you can't not give Forbes credit for finding, developing, and scheming for that level of talent. I'm on record many times saying Forbes is a below-average in-game coach, which has to change somehow for us to achieve our goals. We also need some semblance of depth, which Forbes has proven he can obtain at prior stops, but has yet to materialize at Wake due to a combination of bad luck and recruiting misses.

Look... Alondes winning ACC POY was awesome. Watching Sallis tap into his potential was really cool too. But it doesn't really matter if we never ever achieve anything meaningful as a team. With the NIL and portal, each year is make or break. I'm not sure how much better of a roster Wake can put together in the current environment than 2022 and 2024 - and that wasn't enough.

I think Efton and Carr may get some NBA looks eventually. Bobi as well, but I won't hold that one against coaching.

Haven't followed this thread much, but what are the chances Sallis returns? ESPN has a late 2nd grade on him, which I would see as discouraging for going pro.

I don't have any inside information but I'd be shocked to see Hunter playing for Wake next year. I expect him to "test the waters" and ultimately go pro

Haven't followed this thread much, but what are the chances Sallis returns? ESPN has a late 2nd grade on him, which I would see as discouraging for going pro.

I wouldn’t hold my breath, but he is looking for a guaranteed deal. So minimum of a 2-way deal.

It’s likely going to be a long time before we know for sure, so we have to recruit like he’s gone either way. But if his workouts or combine don’t lead to a guarantee there’s a decent chance he’d return.

I'm hella #nervous that one year we won't have a portal hit a la Alondes, Tyree, Hunter, Jake, etc. Like most of those guys outside of maybe Sallis were not viewed as potential POY/NBA first rounders when signed here. Maybe Forbes is truly gifted in that way and can find these guys but it's asking a lot to bring over some bench player or not highly regarded starter and have them blow up like these guys have.

Look... Alondes winning ACC POY was awesome. Watching Sallis tap into his potential was really cool too. But it doesn't really matter if we never ever achieve anything meaningful as a team. With the NIL and portal, each year is make or break. I'm not sure how much better of a roster Wake can put together in the current environment than 2022 and 2024 - and that wasn't enough.

I think Efton and Carr may get some NBA looks eventually. Bobi as well, but I won't hold that one against coaching.
Agree with this 100%.

we were the worst big conference program from 2011-2021, right?

being a disappointing bubble team the past three years isn't ideal but feels like a good step forward to me. ticket sales have been up, shah just put $5m into the program, our NIL has allegedly caught up to be average, our ass is no longer unwiped. especially since we aren't a very rich program despite some generous donors, plus we just had to pull forward a ton of money to pay danny manning's $15m buyout.

Back