• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

that's why the timing on this is all fucked up. you have the portal open and close during the tournament, reopen right after, and it's all well before the NBA workouts and draft declaration deadline. and it's stupid as hell for teams in the tournament to even have to begin to think about the portal and/or players to declare while their team is still in it, potentially causing a distraction. but teams can start to load up while other teams like Wake are left waiting if our best player is in or out.

Aden Holloway just entered the portal. 6'0 freshman PG at Auburn. From Matthews, NC. I'm not sure how aggressively, but it looks like we were one of the teams in on him before he committed to Auburn. Want.
Per 247, he took official visits to Wake, Auburn, Tennessee, and Miami.

Mark Mitchell to the portal.

Wait are there people actually doing this? Don't do this, this is dumb.

Forbes should attack this offseason as though he's not coming back and then figure out how to make it work if he does for whatever reason return. I'd rather have Sallis coming back and have Dell'orso pissed off about his minutes than have neither and I sure hope Forbes feels the same way.
I’m sure Forbes is trying to proceed in that way — but the tough situation goes beyond the roster spot/scholarship. It’s the NIL budget.

Say we are holding back $600k for Sallis (out of a $1.8 million total budget, give or take). That’s $600k we aren’t giving to an incoming player or players.

Or alternatively, we spend it upfront as if he’s gone — and then what? Hope Mit or someone would write an additional $600k check in the off chance he comes back? Actually, yes. Now that I’ve written it out, we should do this.

I mean everyone should enter the portal I guess, see your options, and then return if that's the best for you.

Say we are holding back $600k for Sallis (out of a $1.8 million total budget, give or take). That’s $600k we aren’t giving to an incoming player or players.
I've noted this too. It's insane. There is one person on our roster who's either going to command the biggest amount of our NIL budget, or none of it. And we know it's probably going to be "none," but we still can't commit that money elsewhere until that's certain. That isn't a sustainable model in which to operate.

I know the NCAA is a clusterfuck but why can't they coordinate their timing with the NBA better?

The real problem isn’t Sallis. The problem is a program in limbo. Forbes can’t guarantee a starting spot, sure. But he also can’t say this team will win a ton of games and make the tourney. Thankfully he can claim he helps guys get to the league.

I’m sure Forbes is trying to proceed in that way — but the tough situation goes beyond the roster spot/scholarship. It’s the NIL budget.

Or alternatively, we spend it upfront as if he’s gone — and then what? Hope Mit or someone would write an additional $600k check in the off chance he comes back? Actually, yes. Now that I’ve written it out, we should do this.
I would hope RTQ would light up the "Bring Hunter back" bat signal here and in-network if that became a real possibility. You can probably cue up a snide post from Angus right about now, but it seems like they could get an immediate spike in small-donor donations in that scenario and then hopefully Uncle Mit would cover the rest.

If we get Dell'Orso maybe we actually do get a big ten invite. We would fit right with all our white boys trying to play basketball.

I would hope RTQ would light up the "Bring Hunter back" bat signal here and in-network if that became a real possibility. You can probably cue up a snide post from Angus right about now, but it seems like they could get an immediate spike in small-donor donations in that scenario and then hopefully Uncle Mit would cover the rest.
Pretty wild that college basketball is at a point where a feasible situation is a program saying:

"We might be really good next year, but we need everyone to give us $100 to make it happen! Will you help bring our player back to the team, or are you going to let him go to the NBA draft instead?"

The real problem isn’t Sallis. The problem is a program in limbo. Forbes can’t guarantee a starting spot, sure. But he also can’t say this team will win a ton of games and make the tourney. Thankfully he can claim he helps guys get to the league.
Well as Haros laid out in his post about NIL, uncertainty around Sallis is a very significant problem. Either RTQ/Forbes has to make NIL promises to transfers that they won't keep if Sallis returns, they have to set aside Sallis' money until his decision, or they have to give Sallis' NIL money to other players and give up on him returning.

There isn't exactly a good option of those three.

Well as Haros laid out in his post about NIL, uncertainty around Sallis is a very significant problem. Either RTQ/Forbes has to make NIL promises to transfers that they won't keep if Sallis returns, they have to set aside Sallis' money until his decision, or they have to give Sallis' NIL money to other players and give up on him returning.

There isn't exactly a good option of those three.
This is the answer because we are Wake Forest and good things do not happen.

Stated another way, what is the most "Wake Foresty" outcome here? That is what will happen.

While I am sure there is a budget for the hoops roster for next season, I'm also sure that discussions are had between the staff, RTQ, and major donors. Have to believe that the budget without Hunter is a little different (lower) than the budget if Hunter returns.

I'd be surprised if there is a hard number... Probably more of a range with a lot of discussion of specific players and roles.

Back