• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Cam Lemons is the biggest fucking loser to ever cover WFU. You are a reporter, if you have a scoop fucking saying it out loud you chump.

I understand it's difficult for Cam & Les because they have good sources, but can't burn them just to break some news that is gonna be out there soon anyway.

Trilly (and others) don't have that issue.

I understand it's difficult for Cam & Les because they have good sources, but can't burn them just to break some news that is gonna be out there soon anyway.

but then you're just gatekeeping. "I know something, but I can't say." Then don't say anything. Report what you know, or be quiet. You also risk someone scooping you because if they see you're holding back they might go digging themselves and then report it.

but then you're just gatekeeping. "I know something, but I can't say." Then don't say anything. Report what you know, or be quiet. You also risk someone scooping you because if they see you're holding back they might go digging themselves and then report it.

That feels exactly like what happened. Cam posted something negative and cryptic and people asked Trilly about it on Discord and he got an answer.

What do we need them for if they won't break news and won't ask any questions during the season. Sick they do twitter updates of a game I'm watching anyways.

Unless and until the NIL thing is reined in, this is going to be the new normal. It's a shame that this didn't become the norm when we were a perennial top 20 team. But we aren't, and until we go on a little consecutive NCAATs run, the kids are going to have less attraction to us-- and that includes kids that are already here and would like to see the NCAAT during their tenure (whether that's the case with whoever has decided to leave this time, I don't know). In the meantime, expect a new team every year and zero consistency. Temper your expectations every year because we won't know where we may be headed until we actually play some games. Best we can hope for is to just make the tourney with a good season or catch lightning in a bottle like NCSU did this year. The latter is highly unlikely for any team, but especially Wake since we are cursed by Satanic voodoo forces beyond our control.
If Carr isn't leaving for money, then I agree, but Boopie, Sallis and basically every other player in the country are $$$ driven. There are no restraints on transferring. No obligations to finish a contract, just purely market driven and if someone will give a kid an extra $100,000 next year they will take it. There may be about 5-10 players in the country that are doing it for titles, but honestly titles don't mean anything. You are either positioning yourself for the draft or grabbing the money.

If this existed back in the 90's we would have been depleted by NIL money from bigger schools. Guys like Rutland would have left for some SEC school after a nice freshman year.

If you don't want to actually break news like this, then just write up your story to drop the second the news does break and be prepared to provide as much inside information as possible the second that the news is public.

Hedging by saying that you know something is happening but that you are unwilling to break the news is useless to both fans and to them as reporters.

If Carr isn't leaving for money, then I agree, but Boopie, Sallis and basically every other player in the country are $$$ driven. There are no restraints on transferring. No obligations to finish a contract, just purely market driven and if someone will give a kid an extra $100,000 next year they will take it. There may be about 5-10 players in the country that are doing it for titles, but honestly titles don't mean anything. You are either positioning yourself for the draft or grabbing the money.

If this existed back in the 90's we would have been depleted by NIL money from bigger schools. Guys like Rutland would have left for some SEC school after a nice freshman year.
Back then, the ACC was the biggest stage, and Wake was at the top of the league. Maybe Rutland would have gone somewhere else for money, like Georgetown, but Wake likely would have landed a really good player in his place.

Feels like now that players are out making visits, the portal action is gonna be fast and furious the next 2 weeks. Already a ton of commitments over the weekend.

The cryptic hedging is such a pussy move that drives me insane. Fucking toddler behavior of I know something you don't know!
It’s trying to show how well connected you are but at the same time these relationships seem wafer thin if there’s a threat they will be severed if a reporter reports something from a source

To be clear, nobody has publicly said what Carr is doing. No idea if he is just going pro overseas or transferring (Villanova?). Commentary suggests this is NOT NIL related.

As always, it'll be interesting to see where our departing players end up (and how they ultimately do).

I'd suspect Boopie gets his bag somewhere, but no idea what his role will be at that destination. Also have to think someone will take a flier on Monsanto, given he has an elite skill (shooting). After that, I have no idea and not much would surprise me.
I've been trying to wrap my head around the NIL impacts. While this may not be NIL related in the sense that someone else is paying Carr more than we are willing to, it's all inextricably linked.

My hunch is that Carr's news (potentially) dropping soon after Sallis news is not a coincidence. It seemed like we were struggling with him before (a week or two ago), and the collective came in and made a monetary offer they thought would get it done, but Carr likely was also considering whether he'd be coming back to a team that could actually win something meaningful (ACC title, deep NCAAT run) and play in big games. If Sallis is gone that's much less likely. And while Forbes will likely find more diamonds in the rough types and off-the-radar transfers so others don't poach them, that's not possible with the real cream of the crop that would make it more certain we'd be good next year. We are listed by almost none of the top 100 ranked recruits at this point and the reason is we aren't getting into bidding wars we can't win for those guys. Thus another year of pretty much complete unknown (could be good, but we will find out in November), and with one shot left to play for something, Carr may see a better opportunity elsewhere.

Last edited:
So we have 5 open scholarships (if Sallis stays)

Here's what I think our needs are (from most pressing to least):
PG
another big (WAK3?)
Another shooter (especially if Sallis leaves)
Another ball handler
3/4 that can stretch the floor a little (doesn't have to be a huge threat from 3, but at least consistent 15-18')

Do we have any chance with Cam Scott from Lexington, SC (we've offered)?

Come on….he may have gotten the news from carr’s camp who asked him not to report it. Then he is just trying to prepare the subscribers for some bad news before some good news since everyone is focused/excited about who we may get rather than who we may lose. It is not that big of a deal.

I feel like if he was going back home to Nova we'd have heard about it already, no? I think he's just done with college in general

i'm on team say-it-or-don't

the cryptic half statements are the worst of both worlds
And yeah. I can get what Cam said on the basis of let the player announce it, but at that point it's just better to not say anything at all.

I've been trying to wrap my head around the NIL impacts. While this may not be NIL related in the sense that someone else is paying Carr more than we are willing to, it's all inextricably linked.

My hunch is that Carr's news (potentially) dropping soon after Sallis news is not a coincidence. It seemed like we were struggling with him before (a week or two ago), and the collective came in and made a monetary offer they thought would get it done, but Carr likely was also considering whether he'd be coming back to a team that could actually win something meaningful (ACC title, deep NCAAT run) and play in big games. If Sallis is gone that's much less likely. And while Forbes will likely find more diamonds in the rough types and off-the-radar transfers so others don't poach them, that's not possible with the real cream of the crop that would make it more certain we'd be good next year. We are listed by almost none of the top 100 ranked recruits at this point and the reason is we aren't getting into bidding wars we can't win for those guys. Thus another year of pretty much complete unknown (could be good, but we will find out in November), and with one shot left to play for something, Carr may see a better opportunity elsewhere.
I don’t think the Sallis announcement would impact AC. There was a 0% chance of Sallis not declaring for the draft. Unless there’s some behind the scenes expectation that he is very likely to get the feedback/guarantees he’s looking for from the NBA, I don’t see why it would impact AC’s decision. I’m hoping he’s off to play pro ball somewhere but don’t expect that to be the case tbh

Back