• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

This one feels different, I feel like Carr has grown with WF and really enjoyed it here and playing for Forbes etc. For him to think it is best to move on somewhere new gives me a lot of doubt on the direction and hopes for the 2024-25 season. Would love to be very wrong, but just the way it feels with this news.

we are never going to win, financially, for enough talent for an NCAA-tournament competitive roster. At some point we need returning players to give us a home-team or loyalty "discount"; it seems like we are decidedly not getting this. Which is disappointing, because one of my perceived strengths for Forbes is his people skills.

I think this departure is the most alarming as I can't think of a reason that Carr would leave that isn't an indictment on the program (eta: He could be leaving for one of myriad personal/familial reasons - thanks birdman). He's starting in a system that maximized this strengths. He wasn't recruited over/in danger of losing the starting position. He's probably not leaving over playing time, system, or his utilization.

Maybe he just wants a change of scenery, but the only non personal reasons he's leaving that I can think of are:
  • He's getting more $ elsewhere (an indictment of our NIL capabilities)
  • He doesn't think Wake can compete his last year
  • He doesn't like Wake/Forbes/something about the program
  • He thinks he'll get more exposure somewhere else.

Last edited:
I based my optimism about Carr staying on comments he made before the season imploded after the Duke game. That was a mistake.

Carr entering the portal is rough. On one hand it’s hard to blame a coach for what a guy chooses to do with his COVID 5th year. But it’s a bad look to lose two starters to the portal like this.

Honestly, fuck him. We took him out of Delaware when us and St Louis were the only schools seriously interested (IIRC). We develop him for two years, pay him, and now he leaves now that he has some other offers. Whatever. Prior to this I would have remembered him for dominating Mark Mitchell in the 2nd Half vs Dook.

Some news:

While it was initially thought that RTQ would have sufficient resources in the to make upcoming NIL deals, recent developments suggest otherwise. Firstly, the market seems to be more inflated than anticipated. Secondly, the squad is optimistic about recruiting high-level talent. Thirdly, there's hope that Hunter Sallis might return for another season.

It's emphasized that every capable individual's contribution is crucial. By closing NIL deals with key players (both at WF and not at WF presently) there is a feeling that this team next year could win the ACC. The need for additional funds for RTQ indicates confidence in attracting top-notch players. There's no feelings of "concern," but there's a chance to have a really special team in Winston-Salem in 2024-2025 should things fall in the right place.

Appreciate everyone that has made a contribution. If you haven't yet, there's never been a better chance than right now.

www.RollTheQuad.com
72 hour update: The good news is our budget availability just increased. The bad news is I don't think we're winning the ACC next year.

Yeah, I understand Boopie and Sallis. Boopie was being recruited over a bit (not necessarily to start, but would see a reduction in minutes and competition) and was probably at his ceiling and wanted to maximize his NIL. Sallis was obviously always going to declare and see what may happen. Didn't really expect Carr to go.

Honestly, fuck him. We took him out of Delaware when us and St Louis were the only schools seriously interested (IIRC). We develop him for two years, pay him, and now he leaves now that he has some other offers. Whatever. Prior to this I would have remembered him for dominating Mark Mitchell in the 2nd Half vs Dook.
This is a bit presumptuous and premature

Well I guess this is where you say, if they don't want to be here then go, don't care the reason at this point, looks like 6 or 7 new players again, coach better get going signing some more folks

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Confused? We've been to the NCAAT once in 14 years. Players want to play in that tournament. We are essentially a zombie basketball program currently.

Broadly speaking, this is true. But we were a zombie program when we nabbed him from Delaware. And Carr seemed like the kind of guy who would stick around. He just represented us at some event recently. And Cam is not leaving the transfer portal so far (knock on wood).

So because of all of that, yes, this is a bit confusing. Sadly, I think the only clear aspect of it is that there seems to be a waning belief in Forbes’s abilities. Not to assemble a team, but to take the teams he assembles to the tournament. As others are saying, it is not good that Carr seems to be recognizing this and acting on it.

Back