• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

On the bright side, we don't have to worry about Spillers playing at the 3 anymore!

Broadly speaking, this is true. But we were a zombie program when we nabbed him from Delaware. And Carr seemed like the kind of guy who would stick around. He just represented us at some event recently. And Cam is not leaving the transfer portal so far (knock on wood).

So because of all of that, yes, this is a bit confusing. Sadly, I think the only clear aspect of it is that there seems to be a waning belief in Forbes’s abilities. Not to assemble a team, but to take the teams he assembles to the tournament. As others are saying, it is not good that Carr seems to be recognizing this and acting on it.
Waning? It has been obvious for two years that he is not a good coach. His entire strategy is to try to annually coble together a fantasy team that can somehow catch lightning in a bottle and back its way into the tournament despite his subpar coaching. And he has continued to fail miserably at his strategy. Ideally he should have been canned after last season, he definitely should have been fired after this season if we had any sort of competent leadership, and now we're headed into the extended "why are we still fucking around with someone who isn't going to work out" shitshow territory like we did with Bzz and Manning. And the Lost Decades roll on, and you people act surprised when those closest to the program continue to flee like rats from a sinking ship.

To be honest I don't care if we lose all five starters if we bring in good replacements. I just feel we have consistently been able to get 1-2 really good and 1-2 decent pieces from the portal every year. I don't really have faith that we'll be able to bring in the 4-5 very good pieces we need to become a more consistent team.

I based my optimism about Carr staying on comments he made before the season imploded after the Duke game. That was a mistake.

Carr entering the portal is rough. On one hand it’s hard to blame a coach for what a guy chooses to do with his COVID 5th year. But it’s a bad look to lose two starters to the portal like this.
I especially think about the exit game for the season, when he and efton were being interviewed, and AC specifically stated he was excited for the team and what they had returning, and was looking forward to what he and the team could do in the next season . . . .

had me really optimistic in the feels. . . I should've known, been a wake fan for 40 years.

we are never going to win, financially, for enough talent for an NCAA-tournament competitive roster. At some point we need returning players to give us a home-team or loyalty "discount"; it seems like we are decidedly not getting this. Which is disappointing, because one of my perceived strengths for Forbes is his people skills.
From everything that I have heard, money is not an issue at all. Not speaking towards Carr specifically (absolutely no insight there), but just in general.

That's why this one is fairly concerning to me. Boopie makes sense to me as a mutual departure.

From everything that I have heard, money is not an issue at all.
It depends what that means. It's probably enough to keep guys like Carr and add a few good but slightly under the radar portal pieces. But it's definitely not been enough to compete for the top 100 guys that are looking for a bag. So we do have to rely on out evaluating others and hoping we get lucky each year.

Basically we're trying the Shaka/Marquette model of don't mention money upfront and don't get in bidding wars as we find the right fits - but without the roster retention piece.

I think this departure is the most alarming as I can't think of a reason that Carr would leave that isn't an indictment on the program. He's starting in a system that maximized this strengths. He wasn't recruited over/in danger of losing the starting position. He's probably not leaving over playing time, system, or his utilization.

Maybe he just wants a change of scenery, but the only reasons he's leaving that I can think of are:
  • He's getting more $ elsewhere (an indictment of our NIL capabilities)
  • He doesn't think Wake can compete his last year
  • He doesn't like Wake/Forbes/something about the program
  • He thinks he'll get more exposure somewhere else.
There is a pile of potential personal reasons too. Carr will be successful in life regardless of where he plays his super senior season so personal reasons could very easily be driving the bus on this decision.

I find it EXTREMELY difficult to believe in this era of hoops that money is not an issue in our roster building ability. Maybe it's not the only issue, but seems very unlikely that we are offering top level deals and being turned down left and right. Winning I'm sure is also a concern, but mostly seems secondary to $$$$ these days.

The solution is simple. All our players just need to suck so nobody will poach them. Then after going 0-27, they need to play balls out for about 10 straight games at the end of the year.

But then I guess other schools will want to poach them if we win 10 straight, so I guess we just need to go 0-28 every year so we can build roster continuity.

I honestly don't think money is the issue.

I think it's Wake. Despite Forbes being the definition of a player's coach and how loved he seemingly is by his player we still see a lot of players leave.

It's happened across different sports and with different coaches so much that I feel like it's just Wake itself.

I'm assuming Carr ends up at Nova. He grew up like thirty minutes from there, and I recall someone saying it was the team he followed when he was young. He probably just wants to play in front of family and friends at a school near his house, with a team that made the tourney every year from 2005-2022. I also assume the NIL dollars that would be paid at Wake and Nova are very similar, perhaps exactly the same.

Sorry to see AC and Boopie depart. Always knew Sallis would be one and done. Todays's environment they all go to the highest bidder. Only hope Forbes performs in the NIL market. If not. look for a cold and dismal Winter.

Last edited:
What a bunch of babies here.

Over the past three years, WF has been a net positive gainer from the portal. Forbes how has more work in front of him, but that's the world of college basketball. Massive roster churn each year. Think WF is better positioned to handle it than most. We shall see if that holds true.

Everyone needs to get their head around that there is unfettered free agency each year. That means good players, who like WF, and who we become attached to, will leave sometimes. Why is that so hard to understand?

Don't want to sound like Rick Pitino in Boston, but Tim Duncan is not walking through that door. Just accept that there is essentially no loyalty in college basketball anymore. Getting a good player to stay two years is an achievement. WF has lost a lot, but there are a ton of power conference teams that have lost more. As mentioned above, NC State won the ACC and went to the Elite 8 with a top 7 that were all transfers.

Also, hilarious to me that people are now upset over the loss of Boopie after so many were advocating for Forbes to recruit over him in the portal. So, its OK for WF to find better players in the portal, but its not OK for WF players to find better school fits in the portal?

Both AC and Boopie came here as transfers; why would anyone be surprised that they might leave as transfers? Didn't see anyone here feeling sorry for Delaware and C. Michigan when WF scooped up those two? Who feels bad for App State, Spillers committed here after Dustin Kearns developed him last year?

Before bitching about how the system sucks, and how WF will never be able to build an NCAAT roster, lets just how this whole thing plays out...

Back