• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

I honestly don't think money is the issue.

I think it's Wake. Despite Forbes being the definition of a player's coach and how loved he seemingly is by his player we still see a lot of players leave.

It's happened across different sports and with different coaches so much that I feel like it's just Wake itself.

Not being a factor in the postseason that matters for 12+ years is not attractive to players.

Feels like I’ve already seen how this plays out. We field a team that struggles to gel early and by the time our new guy breaks out and we are looking good, we’re already in ‘must win’ territory with several weeks remaining. I was hoping we’d keep some guys and not go through this again.

It's a tough sell to get people to pony up even more money when the current war chest can't retain anyone.
If the RTQ donations don't lead to a good team this year or next, I see the well drying up really fast. What are we paying for if we can't get into the tourney.

Also want to say this is nothing against RTQ at all, very happy to have the collective and love what they are trying to do for us. It's just the nature of the beast, if our money can't get it done then it will not continue coming.

Both AC and Boopie came here as transfers; why would anyone be surprised that they might leave as transfers? Didn't see anyone here feeling sorry for Delaware and C. Michigan when WF scooped up those two? Who feels bad for App State, Spillers committed here after Dustin Kearns developed him last year?
Wake fans want to view their school on a level higher than App, Central Michigan, and Delaware but not on a level lower than other power conference schools. From that perspective, it's logically consistent for Wake fans to rationalize the transfers in but not out.

Also, Wake absolutely has not lost players as important as this to the portal in previous years, so your condescending post doesn't really hit the way you intend. Wake is losing 3 starters to the portal/NBA, which has not happened before and is concerning.

If the RTQ donations don't lead to a good team this year or next, I see the well drying up really fast. What are we paying for if we can't get into the tourney.

Also want to say this is nothing against RTQ at all, very happy to have the collective and love what they are trying to do for us. It's just the nature of the beast, if our money can't get it done then it will not continue coming.

Exactly. We are finding out what being competitive costs, and it's no fault of the collective if it's higher than antiicpated.

Waning? It has been obvious for two years that he is not a good coach. His entire strategy is to try to annually coble together a fantasy team that can somehow catch lightning in a bottle and back its way into the tournament despite his subpar coaching. And he has continued to fail miserably at his strategy. Ideally he should have been canned after last season, he definitely should have been fired after this season if we had any sort of competent leadership, and now we're headed into the extended "why are we still fucking around with someone who isn't going to work out" shitshow territory like we did with Bzz and Manning. And the Lost Decades roll on, and you people act surprised when those closest to the program continue to flee like rats from a sinking ship.

I wasn’t even referring to fans’ belief in Forbes. I was citing the apparently increasingly waning belief in him from his current and now formerly current players.

(And as a sidenote, yes, I did just use the phrases “increasingly waning” and “formerly current.” I live dangerously.)

It’s already an extremely stupid investment. Do you like getting your hopes up but then failing miserably at even the most basic level of success, making the tournament. Then I have the investment opportunity of a lifetime. Your small donation packaged with other suckers can buy a team that continues the decade long tradition of falling just short before leaving after a year. Yes, great question, next year we will ask you to do this all over again while promising this time it will be different. No, this time we mean it if you just give a little bit more this year will definitely be different than the other 10 years.

It's a tough sell to get people to pony up even more money when the current war chest can't retain anyone.
and i'm not gonna keep giving money if the people in charge of that money can't retain the players i'm paying them to retain

@RTQ - what happened here, my man? And how are we supposed to trust that our donations are gonna get the job done?

I'm seeing folks compare Carr leaving to Hartman leaving - beyond the extra COVID year, it's not remotely the same. Sam was at Wake for 5 years. He graduated from Wake. He was and is a Deac.

Carr came to Wake as a mediocre mid-major player who none of us had ever heard of and, in two years, playing in our program elevated his stock to a point where he's probably got some professional prospects. Going somewhere else after those two years is a slap in the face to the program. I don't give a fuck what his reasons are. If he went pro, then I wouldn't care one bit.

If our program is gonna get used as a stepping stone and we're just gonna collectively accept that, then fuck it - I'm out.

Have an ounce of self-respect as fans, people

Last edited:
Back