• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

It's not the schools where they came from as much as it the transfer environment that essentially college sports has become, particularly men's college basketball. Feels like there is an expectation of loyalty here that just doesn't exist any more.

At the end of the season, every college basketball player with eligibility is a candidate to play for any of the other 362 D1 programs. Carr wasn't in the portal until today, but he (or his agent) was talking to reps from other schools; apparently, someone made an offer that was too good to pass up. Literally every college basketball player capable of contributing is fielding similar interest.

Don't know AC or Boopie, but they came to WF as transfers and WF paid them to play. Now, the 2024 season is over, and they can transfer again and get paid. That's how it is now.

AC is a solid power conference player, but don't think its an impossibility WF could use the funds that it had set-aside for Carr for another player that could be as good if not better. Understand those that are sad that college baketball is different and that the rules that previously kept players from transferring as many as four times are now gone, but that's just where we are. I thought everyone understood that.
I don't think anyone is pissed about a lack of loyalty dude. You're writing a lot of words assuming that, but I haven't seen anyone complain about loyalty.

We are pissed about the fact that Wake isn't doing what it takes to retain these players. In what was thought to be the most promising offseason in terms of player retention in years (a decade?), Wake is losing over half the guys that we were excited about for next year. Even though RTQNIL has said repeatedly that we have plenty of money (but should still give more!).

You don't have to be a good coach to win in college basketball. You just need a competent coach and lots of money. Forbes isn't "the" problem. If you had enough cash to keep this team together, like UNC money, we would be a tournament team next year. A better coach would have got this team in the tournament, but that coach may not have been able to identify the portal players Forbes has. Have enough cash and you don't need the Billy Bean of college basketball to assemble a team. We're asking for a coach to do more with less money, we can't afford that coach, let alone the players.

It's not the schools where they came from as much as it the transfer environment that essentially college sports has become, particularly men's college basketball. Feels like there is an expectation of loyalty here that just doesn't exist any more.

At the end of the season, every college basketball player with eligibility is a candidate to play for any of the other 362 D1 programs. Carr wasn't in the portal until today, but he (or his agent) was talking to reps from other schools; apparently, someone made an offer that was too good to pass up. Literally every college basketball player capable of contributing is fielding similar interest.

Don't know AC or Boopie, but they came to WF as transfers and WF paid them to play. Now, the 2024 season is over, and they can transfer again and get paid. That's how it is now.

AC is a solid power conference player, but don't think its an impossibility WF could use the funds that it had set-aside for Carr for another player that could be as good if not better. Understand those that are sad that college baketball is different and that the rules that previously kept players from transferring as many as four times are now gone, but that's just where we are. I thought everyone understood that.
This is absolutely correct. The fans and the players view college basketball extremely differently. Fans think about loyalty, consistency, repping your school, etc. Players look at where they can showcase their ability best to make the NBA and where they can get paid the most. I can't blame them. But I also think college baskeball is a system/product that is really moving in the wrong direction.

This is a bummer. I really liked Carr and looked forward to seeing him play at Wake one more year. But, as others have said, this should have been considered a very likely outcome given that he had a senior day ceremony a month ago and we are recruiting several power forwards.

Kenpom is the most accurate college basketball prediction tool. Under Forbes we have gone from #175 to #35 to #86 to #28 (ahead of 10+ NCAA tourney at-large teams). Forbes now has a lot of money to work with, and I think we'll continue his current trend of improving again this year.

You don't have to be a good coach to win in college basketball. You just need a competent coach and lots of money. Forbes isn't "the" problem. If you had enough cash to keep this team together, like UNC money, we would be a tournament team next year. A better coach would have got this team in the tournament, but that coach may not have been able to identify the portal players Forbes has. Have enough cash and you don't need the Billy Bean of college basketball to assemble a team. We're asking for a coach to do more with less money, we can't afford that coach, let alone the players.
So we aren't top 30 in NIL money as some have claimed? If so then disagree with above statement. You should have at least a top 30 team if not better if you could also find underutilized talent as Forbes has or get some top HS talent which we apparently get none. So lots of issues with statement above and does point to a coach issue. We don't need a 2 or 3 portal studs but 5-6 if we don't want depth to be an excuse again.

And you have to think Efton and Cam are evaluating their opportunities elsewhere as guessing they don't want to bet on Forbes reeling in 3-5 All ACC players from the portal to be competitive next year. What an absolute disaster college sports has become and just complete apathy from fans to increase as players just rotate for the $/opportunities.

Just to be clear, the results of our current recruiting strategy are:
1. Teams that show a lot of potential but underperform
2. Talented players that don’t stay in the program for very long.

Why does this feel so familiar to me…

Wake is a good transfer destination if you don't like to play defense.

It's a funny joke (ok, no it isn't), but Reid and Sallis came in last year with strong defensive reputations, Spillers was the JUCO leader in blocks as a SO (and a good defender this year), and Kyle was the Summit League DPOY.

One would think if Efton and Cam were firmly in they'd blast out a "I got you, Coach!" tweet to generate some semblance of excitement and portray a sense of stability.

I mean, I'm sure a lot of the portal guys want to know that we at least have a couple capable ACC Players coming back if they're going to join us.

It's a funny joke (ok, no it isn't), but Reid and Sallis came in last year with strong defensive reputations, Spillers was the JUCO leader in blocks as a SO (and a good defender this year), and Kyle was the Summit League DPOY.
We REALLY need to get Kyle. That'll help cool the sting a little bit. Then get Duke Miles from high point + another big name. Need to reel some folks in, if for no other reason to lower the collective blood pressure of Ogboards.

Make no mistake that losing Carr is really going to hurt us...i will try to hide my hurt feelings and wish him well at his next location.

I think this also feels like it is solidifying a possible end to Forbes tenure as the Wake Coach. With everyone leaving I just don't see any way we will reach the NCAAs in his 5th season. Heck, finishing in the top half of the ACC is in huge jeopardy! This is also very telling of the status of Wake Forest Basketball that a player we have taken in, and beloved, still decides this is not where he wants to play. I thought he would leave to go play professionally somewhere...this is more of a rejection!

I honestly don't know how we will be able to compete (for players) moving forward...

Feel bad for Forbes and Co. He would have killed it here 10 years ago! This is the end of Wake Basketball for years to come until something is done with the current policies. Get out while you can Forbes…you guys deserve better than this!

I kind of disagree with this. Forbes is exactly the guy I want for this portal environment. He's connected, he plays a style that players enjoy, and he improves your earning potential (even if that means going back into the portal).

The on-the-court results are certainly worthy of debate... I mean, it's frustrating that we fell apart to end this season (and the one before that, and the one before that).

We REALLY need to get Kyle. That'll help cool the sting a little bit. Then get Duke Miles from high point + another big name. Need to reel some folks in, if for no other reason to lower the collective blood pressure of Ogboards.
At this point there is no blood pressure as just so sad where we are and no longer about the team.

What do we need them for if they won't break news and won't ask any questions during the season. Sick they do twitter updates of a game I'm watching anyways.
I don’t know who needs them at all. They are water carriers not journalists. They just portray themselves that way. The fact that Wake gives them a credential is the real travesty

Back