• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

I'm seeing folks compare Carr leaving to Hartman leaving - beyond the extra COVID year, it's not remotely the same. Sam was at Wake for 5 years. He graduated from Wake. He was and is a Deac.

Carr came to Wake as a mediocre mid-major player who none of us had ever heard of and, in two years, playing in our program elevated his stock to a point where he's probably got some professional prospects. Going somewhere else after those two years is a slap in the face to the program. I don't give a fuck what his reasons are. If he went pro, then I wouldn't care one bit.

If our program is gonna get used as a stepping stone and we're just gonna collectively accept that, then fuck it - I'm out.

Have an ounce of self-respect as fans, people
He would have stayed if you would have gotten on the Carr Fundamentals Choo Choo train when I invited you.

Need to build the infrastructure for the 2030s. This decade has always been a waste. Will we make the 2030s a losing one too?

Need capital campaign for men’s hoops. Proper stadium. Proper NIL pot. Y’all just wasting more and more years trying the same old plan of hiring an old guy, not giving him the tools to win, then blaming him—if he doesn’t die first.

Same ole same ole for 3 decades now. Will be 6 decades soon if our alums don’t come around.

Stadium has fuckall to do with this.

Y'all are just mad because Lunardi was right.

View attachment 8983
enffrb4xt3by.png

Maybe it will be a virtual banner?

In terms of objective data (not feelings), I'm glad we're trending in the right direction.
How are we trending towards anything with a completely different team every season?
Also, how is 35-86-28 a trend?

Not trying to be a smartass but HOW do you propose we become a "more consistent team" when the entire team leaves on annual basis?
I'm just saying more consistent relative to how our teams have been the last couple years. I think the last 3 teams, at their best, are very good, the problem was their consistency. I think you become more consistent by building more depth (easier to do with retention) and by having a variety of scoring options on any given night. I thought this years team was improved upon the last two in terms of scoring options, but was terribly lacking in depth. The '21-22 team, in my eyes, had a bit more depth but was lacking in true scoring options outside of Alondes and Laravia.

In other words, our entire starting 5 could put up points at least fairly consistently this season, but we really didn't have any reliable options off the bench outside of, arguably, Parker. In 2021-22, we had guys I would consider good depth pieces in Mucius, Sy, Walton, and Daivien, along with a Freshman Hildreth. But outside of Jake and Alondes there wasn't anybody else you could count on for scoring any given night.

I get what you're saying, but I guess I'm more talking about consistency on a game to game basis than building team chemistry/consistency on a year to year basis. It's definitely near impossible to build quality depth and find good scoring options to fill so many holes in the portal, while also fitting them into a cohesive system.

So...guys that have listed us at some point and not cut their lists down (Consensus/ON3 ranks):

53 (34) William Kyle - visit next weekend?
61 (79) Jason Edwards - really quiet
85 (119) Aden Holloway - we might not have interest?
89 (129) Alston Mason (Arizona St visit this past weekend, from Phoenix)
117 (60) Duke Miles ???
153 (58) Tre'Von Spillers Woot Woot!
187 (118) Jhamir Brickus (VCU visit last weekend, but he mentioned us in update today)
238 (236) Drew Thelwell (One of 5 he plans to visit?)

Strangely, Iowa is pursuing pretty much all the same PG we are (Edwards, Mason, Brickus, Thelwell)

Stepping away from Wake Forest for a moment... Duke is thought of as the leader for 2 pretty good players from the portal, yet they are still well over over the roster limit (even when you assume Roach is gone).

How do they convince quality portal guys to come into a situation where they're likely to get zero minutes?

I mean these past 3 seasons are better than 9 of the previous 10 or some wild stat like that. So it's a fact that we are trending in a positive direction.

Under the only measure that matters, postseason participation and success, we are flatlined.

How are we trending towards anything with a completely different team every season?
Also, how is 35-86-28 a trend?
Why did you remove #175? Should we remove #35.

Include all the data and draw a line of best fit. That's how you graph a trend.

Back