• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Up 140, down 51, up 58... So down 30-ish would continue the pattern? Doesn't really matter without on court results at this point.

This is all too much. I just want to watch the students from my school play the students from UNC or NCSU in a game. I relate to the kids who go to my alma mater and am entertained.

Expand the G-league, let every player who wants to make money instead of get a scholarship go do that. The fact that a 19-year old will transfer, play one year wearing my school's jersey, and then transfer again because they want to make twice as much as an anesthesiologist for playing that game isn't fun for me. Not least because it cost me money to go to WFU and take classes and get a degree; what of that experience makes me feel like part of the same tribe as Boopie compared to, say, Timmy or Justin Gray? (Not specifically trying to shit on Boops, just for example.)

I'll still watch the deacs when they're on because what the hell else am I gonna do but I can't get worked up about this anymore.

End sad exposition.

It’s already an extremely stupid investment. Do you like getting your hopes up but then failing miserably at even the most basic level of success, making the tournament. Then I have the investment opportunity of a lifetime. Your small donation packaged with other suckers can buy a team that continues the decade long tradition of falling just short before leaving after a year. Yes, great question, next year we will ask you to do this all over again while promising this time it will be different. No, this time we mean it if you just give a little bit more this year will definitely be different than the other 10 years.
To be fair, this "tradition" has only been going on at Wake for 3 years. We we weren't even close in 11 of the 12 prior seasons. And before that we pretty regularly met that "basic level of success" threshold.

It is better than not paying the players at all but this new system is just nonsensical. It's year to year contracts and then a wild period of free agency every March/April.

Makes completely no sense to do it this way.

To be fair, this "tradition" has only been going on at Wake for 3 years. We we weren't even close in 11 of the 12 prior seasons. And before that we pretty regularly met that "basic level of success" threshold.
How bad was it? Bz and Manning weren't even close to making the NIT. ACC finishes: Bz 12, 9, 9, 13 and Manning 12, 13, 10, 14, 13, 13. (For comparison, Forbes is 14, 5, 8, 5)

It is better than not paying the players at all but this new system is just nonsensical. It's year to year contracts and then a wild period of free agency every March/April.

Makes completely no sense to do it this way.
Players should be paid out of school TV revenues, not continuous fan donations.

I am very often asked to overlook that Covid season when I’m evaluating Forbes tenure.

I think you have to...Forbes came into a really difficult situation after Manning was selling off our best players to blue-chippers. He left Forbes very little.

Players should be paid out of school TV revenues, not continuous fan donations.

Yes. It's essentially a version of pro ball at this point. I don't expect to share a bond with Julio Rodriguez simply because we both live in Seattle but I also don't expect to donate to the Mariners to help buy players.

ETA: Nothing against RTQ at all, just frustrated with the larger evolution of college sports.

how about carr
Carr is indeed a factor yeah. Not sure what you’re getting at here. The 3 non factors I were talking about were Marsh, Keller and Ituka. None of them did a lot to contribute to our season, really. Sad to see them go of course and hate it didn’t work out but I’m not devastated at them leaving.

Losing Carr is gonna sting. Losing Damari and Boope is gonna sting. The other three though? I dunno

The one major element that no one is talking about and assigning their share of the blame to for this portal fiasco are the AGENTS.

When I saw RTQ asking for money here recently, I knew we were in trouble.
"For just 10 cents a day, you can prevent your beloved Wake Forest student-athletes from entering the transfer portal."

You mean the statements that there wasn't cause for concern weren't accurate?
I mean, "Top 30 NIL" just means 29 teams can poach your players.

Did Sallis enter the portal or just declare for the draft while maintaining his eligibility?

Deywilk Tavarez of Delaware St into the portal. 6'2 freshman guard that had 9 pts, 5 reb, 6 assists, and 5 TO against us. Got better as the year went on -- scoring 20+ in 8 of their last 11 games.

Seems likely someone reached out to coax him in, and we were the only major conference school he played a lot against (Texas and Penn St were in their first 3 games before his PT went higher).

Back