• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

I don't think we would be as worked up about Carr leaving if Boopie wasn't also leaving. He's graduating from Wake and deciding to move on. Plenty of reasons to argue that he should stay, but hard to make too strong of a case when he's getting his degree.

At least we already landed a solid replacement for him with Spillers. The problem is that we thought Spillers was great depth, and now we are back to having no depth.

Yeah, so this makes the portal entrance extra surprising to me.
Yeah I think overall the RTQ team only goes off of what the staff tells them. Obviously something changed from that post a week and a half ago, and when he made his decision. Not sure whether that's money, something internal, or something external (wants to be closer to home for example).

Don't think it's really fair to be critical of the RTQ info that's coming in. They're not blowing smoke from what I can tell - they're communicating the best information they have at the time. Obviously the information is situational and timely and can change quickly given the nature of the beast that is the portal.

Perversely, there can be some long-term good. If we are able to get an equivalent player with more eligibility, it helps. We were going to lose a ton next year due to eligibility, so finding someone who theoretically might stay through the end of 2025 helps.

i mean, those posts (Carr's) are pfft these day. feels so disingenuous as you are keeping all of your options open to get the fuck out of Winston-Salem.

Perversely, there can be some long-term good. If we are able to get an equivalent player with more eligibility, it helps. We were going to lose a ton next year due to eligibility, so finding someone who theoretically might stay through the end of 2025 helps.
I don't know how you have found the optimism in the midst of transfer portal season to think about Wake's basketball roster in the 2025-26 season, but good for you

Bless your heart

Recruiting for anything beyond the immediate next year is dumb, and especially dumb for Forbes because if he doesn't make the tourney this year then there's probably a good chance he's not going to be the coach (at least in my mind) in '25-'26.

Let’s just get Clark, McCray, Taylor, and Marsh to come back! See what happens.

Let’s just get Clark, McCray, Taylor, and Marsh to come back! See what happens.
686f6578-dc44-40d6-93b1-ac861e15f99a_text.gif

We REALLY need to get Kyle. That'll help cool the sting a little bit. Then get Duke Miles from high point + another big name. Need to reel some folks in, if for no other reason to lower the collective blood pressure of Ogboards.
Haha! Good luck on that blood pressure thingy.

Wasn’t Carr featured in an ad on social media for the RTQ collective? Or Boopie? I might be wrong. But it’s going to be ironic because they will become the poster children for why giving to the collective has its drawbacks. Of course I realize we still need gifts so we can go out and get the next guy.

One way that I think Forbes is directly responsible for the mess he’s in is not pushing through and getting into the tournament the last two years. Some of the postseason excitement could have stemmed the tide of departures. Beyond just the obvious ones, this is probably another reason he’s really regretting that we haven’t broken through.

Making postseason tournaments doesn’t replace cold hard cash, but it can’t hurt. If players are wanting exposure, the postseason is often where you get it.

Back