• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU @ Louisville – Sat 10/29 – 3:30 ACCN

I keep X-ing out of the window to the boards. But then come back. It’s like looking at a really really bad wound that’s infected and probably gonna lead to sepsis and death.
How in the actual fuck did that just happen?

Today was embarrassing. But it also happens in college football

OK St got blanked 48-0 by KSt today. They were ranked 1 ahead of us

Next few games will be more telling to me than today. Is this the same run out of gas in November team that seems to always exist under Clawson? Or is this a team that no showed today and run the table rest of the way?

My honest opinion: because our coaching, scheme, and development is still ahead of our talent and 3/4 of the way through the season, after surviving some close games, we've been banged up and opposing coaches have enough tape to come up with a gamelan to beat us.

That suggest a total team collapse. This wasn’t that.

Random note, but the RB pass blocking seemed crazy bad today after some good games leading up to this.

That suggest a total team collapse. This wasn’t that.
I'm no football genius so I could certainly be wrong. But I don't think it has to be a total collapse for my hypothesis to make sense.

Clemson figured out the way to beat the RPO was to set up to make us run it every time and then overpower us at the line with superior talent.

Louisville watched that game and figured out the way to beat us was to make us throw it and then beat our blindside coverage to get to Sam. You can see they were clearly coached to go for the fumble rather than the sack. And it worked.

Both of these were based on taking advantage of how our RPO dictates our actions and exploiting observable weaknesses in our blocking personnel

That third quarter and Hartman will be discussed for a while.

That's hard to believe what happened and our lack of reliable checkdowns to backs and WR is telling.

Everyone will talk about the 3rd Q, and deservedly so, but I’m still pissed about the drive with 3 minutes left in the first half.

Today was embarrassing. But it also happens in college football

OK St got blanked 48-0 by KSt today. They were ranked 1 ahead of us

Next few games will be more telling to me than today. Is this the same run out of gas in November team that seems to always exist under Clawson? Or is this a team that no showed today and run the table rest of the way?
So our third qtr collapse happens in college?? How bout finding equivalents Has to be very very rare.

So you think we would have won if we pulled Hartman after the first two turnovers?

Louisville clearly had a gameplan and executed it perfectly. And we could not stop it.

Maybe it's on Clawson for not figuring out it. Or maybe this just wasn't our day.

That gameplan could have just resulted in incompletions and sacks not pick sixes and fumbles. The pick sixes and fumbles are on Hartman.
Correct.

Honestly, if we can regroup, we'll be fine. If we vomit out an entire year's worth of mistakes and bad football in 1+ quarters and dispense with it, I'll take that every year. Learn and come back ready to exorcise the demons against the wolfpack.

I will also continue to wonder why we couldn’t roll Sam away from pressure or run some quick hitters. When your line is getting straight abused, you don’t keep up the same plan. Something has to change. It was rather clear early on that our O line wasn't going to hold them back.

Two things in reaction to a few of the posts above:

1) the time for late season excuses because of injuries is past. Clawson has been here 9 years. Recruit and develop better backups. Oh, and we don’t really have injuries this year so that’s not it.

2) I love Sam but as PH said, the two QBs before him were also good. It’s a system. Remember when Hawaii had record setting QBs every year? We shouldn’t miss much when he leaves as long as we keep developing the WR’s.

I'm no football genius so I could certainly be wrong. But I don't think it has to be a total collapse for my hypothesis to make sense.

Clemson figured out the way to beat the RPO was to set up to make us run it every time and then overpower us at the line with superior talent.

Louisville watched that game and figured out the way to beat us was to make us throw it and then beat our blindside coverage to get to Sam. You can see they were clearly coached to go for the fumble rather than the sack. And it worked.

Both of these were based on taking advantage of how our RPO dictates our actions and exploiting observable weaknesses in our blocking personnel
Louisville won their last two games by pressuring the QB and causing turnovers. The plan was not unique to the WF game. WF coaches can also watch tape and see how opponents win games.

I will also continue to wonder why we couldn’t roll Sam away from pressure or run some quick hitters. When your line is getting straight abused, you don’t keep up the same plan. Something has to change. It was rather clear early on that our O line wasn't going to hold them back.
The question is why did the Oline perform so badly? They did a good job against Clemson and FSU, can’t imagine Louisville’s defense is better. We are visiting our daughter at South Carolina and we were at that game, so I didn’t see the game. Kept up with it via live stats and couldn’t believe what I was seeing!🤢 :sick:

Running I formation with Cooley and Jaegar Bull at FB the entire 3rd quarter with a few play action passes, would have been far more effective than that nonsense.

Louisville won their last two games by pressuring the QB and causing turnovers. The plan was not unique to the WF game. WF coaches can also watch tape and see how opponents win games.
Good point. Wasn't necessarily suggesting that absolves anybody of blame. But it was clearly a game plan that worked over and over again. Idk if it's stubbornness from coaches but I always suspect there's a lot of evidence behind decisions that eludes us as fans.

The question is why did the Oline perform so badly? They did a good job against Clemson and FSU, can’t imagine Louisville’s defense is better. We are visiting our daughter at South Carolina and we were at that game, so I didn’t see the game. Kept up with it via live stats and couldn’t believe what I was seeing! :sick:

Well yeah. O Line play was the bigger issue. But. I assume sometimes the other team has better horses. So you adjust. You don't just keep dropping back and your QB repeatedly being pressured/flattened. we seemed to do very little to counter their good line play.

Back