• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU @ Louisville – Sat 10/29 – 3:30 ACCN

Hmm, that's not how I read your post.

I think it's remarkable Clawson has us ranked in the top ten and I think fans are right now to shift our expectations and want even more.

For myself and probably for many of us, this feels like the last few games of an era with the 2nd best, statistically at least, QB in ACC history. Clawson is a great coach but I think we are bumping into the ceiling of our potential under him, and that’s frustrating.

That gameplan could have just resulted in incompletions and sacks not pick sixes and fumbles. The pick sixes and fumbles are on Hartman.
Ultimately, a loss like this is always on the head coach, then the staff, then the captains and the QB. But I don't blame Sam for most of those turnovers. I don't blame him for the blindside hits; I don't blame him for the one that hit Greene in the hands. The pick six on the wing is ultimately on the QB (even though I think the receiver could have come after or more).

Agree that this appears to be our ceiling. The very thought we could be a top ten team is unthinkable after making the drive as a little kid to watch us and Duke scramble for their first win
We finally make top ten, no students show up then get our brains beaten in by an inferior opponent as soon as we get a little attention. This is our best team and this is what we end up with.
Hope we can win some down stretch and hope Sam is ok emotionally.

For myself and probably for many of us, this feels like the last few games of an era with the 2nd best, statistically at least, QB in ACC history. Clawson is a great coach but I think we are bumping into the ceiling of our potential under him, and that’s frustrating.
That's possible, and this is just a more realistic version of DeaconSlim's self-described worst-case rant above.

But you know what? I think Clawson can just find another great QB. I didn't think we'd find anybody to follow Wolford, at least so soon.

I think Clawson's got us in a good place. That sucked, and I doubt we'll ever stop talking about that third quarter. But we'll be back.

Sam held the ball a long time. Ball just needed to come out quicker.

I don't think that's all on him, the coaches didn't give him any kind of adjustment until like halfway through the 3rd quarter when we saw a quick play to Key.

I also am assuming Louisville's secondary played extremely well since even when the o-line gave time, it seemed like the ball took forever to come out.

The question of our ceiling is interesting. But to that point, i think the Clemson game is more telling than this one.

You'll all be pleased to know that the ncaa record for turnovers is held by Georgia with 13.

ACC record was Miami's 8 vs duke....last week. So I guess we tied that today

Sam held the ball a long time. Ball just needed to come out quicker.

I don't think that's all on him, the coaches didn't give him any kind of adjustment until like halfway through the 3rd quarter when we saw a quick play to Key.

I also am assuming Louisville's secondary played extremely well since even when the o-line gave time, it seemed like the ball took forever to come out.
Clawson told Stan post game that we got our asses kicked.... and that it's on the coach.

Sam is a great college qb for our system, but stats can be misleading. He will have 5 seasons which greatly skews to his favor. doubt many would consider him top 10 ACC ever especially given his penchant to absolutely implode in big games. First int was on him as well as his last and one or 2 fumbles on Clapp but he has to have head on swivel when he knows left side getting run over regularly and he was way too casual in pocket.

I’ve never thought Hartman was the end all be all at QB. Wolford and Newman were also good QBs and would put up great numbers with this talent. I don’t know if Griffis is the guy but I don’t doubt Clawson will recruit the guy.

Sam is a great college qb for our system, but stats can be misleading. He will have 5 seasons which greatly skews to his favor. doubt many would consider him top 10 ACC ever especially given his penchant to absolutely implode in big games. First int was on him as well as his last and one or 2 fumbles on Clapp but he has to have head on swivel when he knows left side getting run over regularly and he was way too casual in pocket.

Sam has played 43 games. He’ll finish with 48 games, four regular season’s worth of games.

So you think we would have won if we pulled Hartman after the first two turnovers?

Louisville clearly had a gameplan and executed it perfectly. And we could not stop it.

Maybe it's on Clawson for not figuring out it. Or maybe this just wasn't our day.
Would not have won but not a disaster as it was.

I’d love to know why this type of implosion happens about once a season
My honest opinion: because our coaching, scheme, and development is still ahead of our talent and 3/4 of the way through the season, after surviving some close games, we've been banged up and opposing coaches have enough tape to come up with a gamelan to beat us.

Back