• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU NFL Free Agent News

A lot of teams cut more veterans on this round of cuts to give them a chance to catch on with another team.

Way I see it-- kid is young and has a Wake degree. If he wants to spend a year or two chasing his dreams in Europe then knock yourself out. At the least he'll get some good memories, travel, and have something interesting to talk about when he has to go to a real job interview one day.

This. When Tanner comes back to the states to start his job selling insurance and he has the French newsbabe on his arm, everybody will see it was time well spent.

Looks like all of the Wake players survived the first round.

Good news!

While expecting that many Deacs may not survive the next/last round of cuts, making it all the way through training camp and the exhibition games raises the likelihood that some 1st and 2nd year Deacs may make a practice squad as practice squad roster limits have now expanded from 8 to 10. Also, practice squad players now make $6300 a week (that's about $100 K if they last season). Considering that, plus the signing bonus (for a free agent anywhere between $5,000 and $75,000) and the training camp stipend (about $1000 a week), it's not a bad gig for those right out of college. Also, for those that want to coach or stay in the sports industry, making a practice squad is not a bad addition to the resume'. Good to see Deacs hanging in there.

He's never going to make the initial 53 for the Steelers. He's really fighting out with 2 other RB's to be on the practice squad then hope to get activated to the full roster and make a good impression when the Leveon Bell and LaGarrette Blount suspensions come down. Bell, Blount and Dri Archer will be the three RB's on the 53 man roster to start the season for Pittsburgh.

What's the word on Ghee making it in SD? Looks like he is low on the depth chart.

Way I see it-- kid is young and has a Wake degree. If he wants to spend a year or two chasing his dreams in Europe then knock yourself out. At the least he'll get some good memories, travel, and have something interesting to talk about when he has to go to a real job interview one day.

Buddy of mine was the MVP of the French Super Bowl in the early 90s fresh out of college. He had a fucking blast- lived in Axon Provence, banged french chicks, had expenses paid, and made like $20K tax-free.

What's the word on Ghee making it in SD? Looks like he is low on the depth chart.

Cut

The other surprise, which is more a testament to how much better the secondary has gotten over the last few months, is the released of Brandon Ghee. When acquired, many thought Ghee would challenge for the starting CB spot opposite Shareece Wright. After sinking below fifth on the Chargers depth chart, he was an easy guy to cut. Now he'll have a chance to catch on with another team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/roster-cuts-san-diego-chargers-194159130.html

Steelers intitial round of cuts only got them down to 81. They just cut 6 more guys, including 1 more RB, to go to 75 and Harris is still on the roster. He should get plenty of work against the Panthers. Won't be surprised if Tomlin doesn't play the doobie brothers at all.

Cut

The other surprise, which is more a testament to how much better the secondary has gotten over the last few months, is the released of Brandon Ghee. When acquired, many thought Ghee would challenge for the starting CB spot opposite Shareece Wright. After sinking below fifth on the Chargers depth chart, he was an easy guy to cut. Now he'll have a chance to catch on with another team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/roster-cuts-san-diego-chargers-194159130.html

Jets have HUGE issues as CB, would love to see Ghee get a look there

Strikes me as prolonging the inevitable.

just curious but what is the inevitable? No longer getting to play sports and having to get a real job? If so, i dont blame him one bit.

just curious but what is the inevitable? No longer getting to play sports and having to get a real job? If so, i dont blame him one bit.
Not blaming him either. I said that in reference to the Steelers' perspective. Maybe I will be proven wrong.

Not blaming him either. I said that in reference to the Steelers' perspective. Maybe I will be proven wrong.

He's really in a pretty good spot. Likely gets put on the practice squad then a have a good shot at playing time when Bell and Blount get suspended. He should get plenty of chances to prove himself Thursday.

He's really in a pretty good spot. Likely gets put on the practice squad then a have a good shot at playing time when Bell and Blount get suspended. He should get plenty of chances to prove himself Thursday.

Bell and Blount won't likely be suspended until next season.

Back