• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU to offer undergraduate biomed and engineering degrees

lbE08

Stegosaurus are bush league
Reaction score
Per the email from Hatch:
Today Wake Forest University announced new academic programs in Biomedical Sciences and Engineering that will anchor the University's undergraduate presence, referred to as Wake Downtown, in Wake Forest Innovation Quarter beginning in 2017.

...and from the announcement (link):

- B.S. in Engineering – Wake Forest engineering students will exemplify the term ‘well-rounded,’ bringing to their subsequent careers or graduate studies a focus on applying engineering science, design and analysis to complex issues. The engineering major will offer optional biomedical and materials engineering emphases in a liberal arts environment of entrepreneurial and critical thinking. Classes in the engineering program are expected to begin in fall 2017.

- B.S. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology – Jointly administered by the Chemistry and Biology departments, this interdisciplinary degree will enable students to develop a conceptual understanding of and build practical skills to address increasingly complex biological, biochemical and biomedical challenges. Students preparing for research or pre-health careers will develop greater insight into the experimental approaches and results that lead to the current understanding of biomolecular function. Abundant undergraduate research opportunities will be available for students in WFU labs and those of several medical school departments already in the Innovation Quarter. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology classes will begin in January 2017.

- Concentration in Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Discovery – Building upon existing strengths and research interests of faculty and students, the establishment of a medicinal chemistry concentration within the Department of Chemistry will provide a distinctive, high-quality educational experience at Wake Forest. The concentration provides a new path to an American Chemical Society certified B.S. degree that will increasingly attract students interested in health-related fields, biomedical sciences and pharmacology. Classes for the new concentration will begin in January 2017.

Discuss.

Probably just Hatch and Wellman working together to try to find a way to live forever.

Today Wake Forest University announced new academic programs in Biomedical Sciences and Engineering that will anchor the University's undergraduate presence, referred to as Wake Downtown, in Wake Forest Innovation Quarter beginning in 2017.

It seems like every time Wake tries to be cute, they fail miserably.

But the new programs seem cool and much needed. I just hope the focus on the new labs and buildings don't push renovations of Winston and Salem even further to the back burner.

Last edited:
The BS in Engineering sounds unique and promising although I think they'll need to situate it in an existing Engineering field rather than just calling it "Engineering."

This is a great decision that will increase our competitiveness and national reach. The next step is a dedicated school of engineering, which will set us apart from the other small LA schools that we're generally grouped in

This is a great decision that will increase our competitiveness and national reach. The next step is a dedicated school of engineering, which will set us apart from the other small LA schools that we're generally grouped in

From Elon, maybe, but it just gets us in line with what duke offers.

From Elon, maybe, but it just gets us in line with what duke offers.
Being grouped with Duke rather than Elon would be a big improvement. I'm for anything that adds value to my degree.

Being grouped with Duke rather than Elon would be a big improvement. I'm for anything that adds value to my degree.

I agree, but I guess mentally I already have us grouped in with duke so it's not something that makes us "stand out."

Well if you look at all the other private schools in front of Wake in college rankings they are much better, by a very large margin, research universities. So this can only help in that case.

Maybe we can finally be a consistent member of the USNWR top 25? Or...gasp...Top 20? No! Perish the thought LOWF LOWF LOWF

They're trying to get in on the NASCAR boom too late with the engineering stuff. There's still some of that in the area though, so it will be cool to see the cars and engines and stuff around campus.

Does NASCAR have any partnerships with university engineering programs?

The bottom one was what I was informally asked about....med chem and drug discovery. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how well that will go over considering US medicinal chemistry is about half of what it was 5 years ago. There's been a tremendous number of layoffs in the US. I heard Merck has gone from 1000 down to 400. Where are these grads going to get jobs?? Breweries?

Does NASCAR have any partnerships with university engineering programs?

I think they did at one point with maybe VA Tech, and then got all greedy and tried to license out their own crap. Not sure if they do anything w/ uncc, I would think some of the teams do stuff w uncc

The bottom one was what I was informally asked about....med chem and drug discovery. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how well that will go over considering US medicinal chemistry is about half of what it was 5 years ago. There's been a tremendous number of layoffs in the US. I heard Merck has gone from 1000 down to 400. Where are these grads going to get jobs?? Breweries?

Something to help all these people hooked on oxy?

Wake is clearly behind on this but if they put together a program that stands out with grads with unique skills, it would help. Also they would attract bright kids who end up switching out into other majors.

Back