• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU to offer undergraduate biomed and engineering degrees

is hatch getting tired of losing recruits to "engineering" majors?

is hatch getting tired of losing recruits to "engineering" majors?

It actually seems like a doable liberal arts style engineering major that could work for athletes.

Sweet. It's a tall mountain to climb. I hope they can pull in some good faculty. I wonder if they plan to seek ABET accreditation eventually.

Sweet. It's a tall mountain to climb. I hope they can pull in some good faculty. I wonder if they plan to seek ABET accreditation eventually.

From the FAQ section of the announcement:

Engineering – WFU faculty have developed various proposals for the last ~25 years to introduce engineering into the undergraduate curriculum. Faculty are proposing a department of Engineering within Division V of the College that would offer a B.S. in general engineering and an optional concentration in biomedical engineering. The curriculum has been designed for certification by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology (ABET). This program was approved at the March 2016 College Faculty meeting.

Does ABET accredit general engineering degrees?

Yes. There are over 90 ABET-accredited programs in the United States that offer a B.S. in General Engineering.
Does this curriculum prepare our students to obtain their Professional Engineers (PE) license?

Yes. The PE test is taken after an engineering graduate has worked for several years, but prior to graduation most engineering students will take the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam that tests on core engineering courses that are components of the proposed curriculum

I'm not sure how attractive a general engineering degree will be on the job market or to grad programs compared to just a straight up BME degree.

I'm not sure how attractive a general engineering degree will be on the job market or to grad programs compared to just a straight up BME degree.
Integrating our Computer Science department with a computer/software/hardware engineering track would be my wish for Wake.

Should even things out facilities-wise once the law school has to shut down.

They're trying to get in on the NASCAR boom too late with the engineering stuff. There's still some of that in the area though, so it will be cool to see the cars and engines and stuff around campus.

Where is there any indication that the Wake engineering program has anything to do with NASCAR or racing in general?

Why else would they do it of not for NASCAR? Duh. Your the simple mind your so dumb and your brain is tiny!! Boom roasted. Sucka!!

Not to mention Carowinds. Did you know that part of Carowinds is located in NC and the rest in SC ? Blows my mind every time.

Hold up. UNCC Engineering has a race cars and roller coasters program?

We need these programs to compete in the new Charlotte-dominated landscape.

It would be awesome if Wake built rollercoasters in downtown Winston. It would make up for all the kids who don't go to Wake sporting events anymore.

Hold up. UNCC Engineering has a roller coasters program?

It's an intensive preparation program.

256px-Rct-box.jpg

Back