• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are you listening to right now?

Today’s NYT connections puzzle inspired me to listen to Istanbul (not Constantinople).

Found this rendition that’s pretty fun!

Fly me high through the starry skies
Maybe to an astral plane
Cross the highways of fantasy
Help me to forget today's pain

RIP Gary Wright

This is the project of a sometimes Wire collaborator, I guess, and this whole thing sounded pretty good to me, but particularly enjoying this one.

Last edited:
The Cars Complete Greatest Hits on the way to work this morning. One of the first CDs I bought for myself. Still love to turn it way up when “Magic” comes on.

Ooh Buck Meek too. I know these aren’t novel suggestions.
It’s taken me a while to get into this new one but once it gets its hooks in… I love both of Buck’s previous solo albums so we’ve already reached that point where I’m always tempted to turn off the new one and listen to the faves.

I really like what he’s doing with guitar tones and dynamics and dissonance. Tons of charm and quirk too — love it or hate it, nobody else singing like buck meek that I’ve heard

The Cars Complete Greatest Hits on the way to work this morning. One of the first CDs I bought for myself. Still love to turn it way up when “Magic” comes on.
If you are in a Cars mood, this is a hot little set. Elliot Easton is an underrated guitarist.

The above is from this set, just got scrubbed from this upload due to copyright.

I don’t think I’m gonna Hopscotch this year but got a three day pass at the early bird price.

If any of you guys are interested, let me know, I’d sell it for what I paid for it + taxes/fees or whatever, just so I’m zeroed out. Broke and saw that my guys Tonstarttbandht weren’t playing until 12:30 one night, and, shit that’s late — I’m not sure I can hang. I’m not even feeling like driving to Durham tonight for the Clientele since I have to be back out that way first thing tomorrow morning for work and I’m lazy and might just watch Sorcerer or something tonight. Middle age, huh.

Not desperate or anything, still might go and have fun, but if someone really wants to go, I’d hook you up just to break even. Word.
Bumping this if there are any locals who are just dying to go this weekend. Hopscotch 3 day pass for the early bird price + tax, like 150 bucks or something. Just want to break even if possible.

Just lazy, broke, and have been getting super annoyed at concerts lately -- guess I'm just getting old and crotchety.

Here's hoping your commute warm up charms the Mrs so she's up for shenanigans TONIGHT and work on her fav cars song.

Re: music paranoia question.

I listened to this on Monday and liked it sufficiently to post, but now have completely forgotten what it was and the youtube is down. Hmmmm...I may never know.
Oh shit, it was that dope XTC two-fer. Dang. Well, glad I caught it when I did. Rare.

Someone re-uploaded. My hero.

Last edited:
Just watched a pretty good doc on the San Francisco scene by the same folks who did the great Laurel Canyon doc a couple years ago -- it has some Doobies history. It's on MGM+ but you can get a 7 day free trial on youtube and see both of those, I think they're worth it.

I didn't realize the Doobies -- like a couple other bands -- had a Moby Grape connection via Skip Spence. Man, Skip Spence, what a sad story. OAR is an aural account of someone losing their damn mind. A masterpiece but also kind of haunted and unsettling. Almost an American version of Syd Barrett.

seeing the doobie brothers tomorrow. this is really some of the first music i remember jamming to as a kid. looking forward to it.
First 'big act' live show I attended. I was a
junior in high school. The old Charlotte coliseum on Independence. Shortly after that I saw Blood, Sweat, and Tears in the gym at Gardner Webb.

You’re the one I want
You’re a chance to take
You’re a heartbreak

doobie brothers w Michael Mcdonald awesome show. all the hits and they killed pretzel logic. anyone who slays steely dan is aok w me.
Saw them last year at Bourbon and Beyond and they killed. So awesome to hear Michael McDonald live. Yammobethere.

Back