• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are you listening to right now?

Cool full (?) Gastr del Sol set from 1995. McEntire, Grubbs, O'Rourke! Cool!

This got me headed down a little bit of a rabbit hole on the Gastr del Sol members. I’ve been an Orourke fan for ages, since he produced Bill Callahan’s Smog albums Red Apple Falls and Knock Knock, and I’ve followed his career despite Jim’s best efforts to be hard to track. Learned that Grubbs has a PhD in English and is a professor of music in NYC. He’s written 4 books including an academic book on John Cage, and another that sounds like an epic poem.

I came to them mostly through the McEntire connection as I knew Tortoise and Sea and Cake, but my first dip was their album Camofleur, which McEntire drums on but isn’t an official member still, or something. It’s pretty great.

ORourke is mysterious. I’ve been enjoying his periodic dj sets on NTS.

50 years since Pinochet’s troops tortured and murdered Victor Jara days after the US-backed coup.

I came to them mostly through the McEntire connection as I knew Tortoise and Sea and Cake, but my first dip was their album Camofleur, which McEntire drums on but isn’t an official member still, or something. It’s pretty great.

ORourke is mysterious. I’ve been enjoying his periodic dj sets on NTS.
Yeah Camofleur is really the only Gastr album I am familiar with. Orourke’s solo drag city albums are great, especially insignigance and eureka. Also the score to Love Liza is beautiful. That is a fucking sad movie.

The national finally released some shit that doesn’t have Taylor Swift on it!

The Jody thread bump made me remember my buddy co-wrote a song called "Can Jody" and I was reminded of it, and they weren't like a signed band or anything, and the tune was never professionally recorded, so there's no way it's on the internet anywhere but I thought, Hell, I'm gonna check youtube and HOLY SHIT, the internet delivers once again, what an invention. This was after my main friend left the band, but these guys are all my friends, too, and he comes on and sings the (Can) Jody song second song in here and it's a total mess and they make a joke out of it because we were all hammered. This had to be 20 years ago (eta - almost, 2004). Very weird to see but fun -- so many friends and I'm sure I'm in there somewhere because he was staying with me. Thanks Jody thread! I can't believe this exists. I think these sets are reversed though, as I dip into it.

ETA - nice, I get a shout out in this when they play my JAM. Awwwww, memories, nostalgia, saudade.

Last edited:
Back