• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are you listening to right now?

Just trying to coax el chupe out of hiding.

and now here's last night's show. dunno how long these videos will stay up.

There are some absolute gems on the Beatles Anthologies:

Hard to believe this was recorded in 1966.

Been listening to a lot of NF lately.........I know, I'm really late the the game. 2 favs so far:

Hard to believe this was recorded in 1966.

Genuinely curious what you're thinking when you say that.

Weird to me to think that 1966 was only twenty years before I was born.

(Great song and recording)

Genuinely curious what you're thinking when you say that.

Weird to me to think that 1966 was only twenty years before I was born.

(Great song and recording)

I’m not a music scholar but it seems way ahead of its time for 1966 western pop music. The ultimate version that was included on the Revolver Album was a bit more mainstream than this, but it shows just how experimental the Beatles were. Also realize just now that this was only 12 years before I was born.

Apparently the new McCartney doc on Hulu(?) is great if you wanna nerd out on music stuff

Blows your mind, doesn't it

Yeah, I posted on Facebook a few years back about my shock that Nevermind was 25 years old (now it’s 30!). Someone commented back that listening to Nevermind was like our dads listening to Led Zeplin III when we were in high school. I noted in response that when we were in high school III was only 22 years old.

I am an army brat. Growing up and moving every year or two the single most consistent thing was the classic rock radio station. A few years ago I realized stuff I 2as listening to in hs is now played on the classic rock stations. That was a real shoe in the nuts.

I’m not a music scholar but it seems way ahead of its time for 1966 western pop music. The ultimate version that was included on the Revolver Album was a bit more mainstream than this, but it shows just how experimental the Beatles were. Also realize just now that this was only 12 years before I was born.

Also not a music scholar but I think you’re right about some of the experimental stuff here. Reminiscent of early Can or Pere Ubu stuff I think, and for that reason ahead of its time. Really love what Ringo does on this track.

Also also not a music scholar, but it sounds very *beatles* to me, which I associate with that period. So idk

Also also not a music scholar, but it sounds very *beatles* to me, which I associate with that period. So idk

Yeah, but it was just 2 years after "I want to hold you hand" and like 8 months after "Ticket to Ride" were huge hits. This song was a sudden and major departure from the jangly pop songs written for screaming girls. Sure, once you hear revolution #9, which came 2 years later, it seem on par, but look at what came before it.

The turn to psych on Revolver was pretty dang unique for the Beatles, but 66 was the year of Pet Sounds and Sunshine Superman and Face to Face. I think what the Beatles did to legitimize pop music made it commercially viable for bands to experiment too. I don't know if it was Revolver that kicked it off, but I know the early-middle era of the Beatles was also quite experimental with regard to recording techniques too.

There's that scene at the end of one of the later seasons of Mad Men when Don sits down to listen to Tomorrow Never Knows and you can tell he officially feels left behind by Megan and her friends.

The turn to psych on Revolver was pretty dang unique for the Beatles, but 66 was the year of Pet Sounds and Sunshine Superman and Face to Face. I think what the Beatles did to legitimize pop music made it commercially viable for bands to experiment too. I don't know if it was Revolver that kicked it off, but I know the early-middle era of the Beatles was also quite experimental with regard to recording techniques too.

I'd argue that lyrically they started evolving on "Help!" in subject matter that departed from childish love songs, but sonically Revolver was the real experimental work between this one and "love to you" especially. Wikipedia says that Tomorrow never Knows was the first song they recorded for Revolver and this version was the first recorded take; John came into the studio to start the recording sessions for the album and made a clear statement that he was looking for something new. There is no bridge, there is no chorus, there is no melody really, there are no chord progressions; it is bizarre as a pop band tune, but masterful.

I admit that I never had the love for Pet Sounds that everybody gives it. To me, its more orchestral than it is experimental rock and roll.

Back