• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are you listening to right now?

Just wrapped up a visit to Hinterland 2021 in St. Charles, IA. Lineup looked like this:

Friday:

Avett Brothers
Old Crow Medicine Show
Caamp
Yola
Cut Worms
Hex Girls

Notes: Skipped Cut Worms and Hex Girls. Yola was fantastic - tons of star potential. Caamp delivered the goods - they have a great way of translating their sound for a big stage. I had never seen OCMS before and they were good, if not a bit overly animated. Avett Brothers fucking killed it - all thriller no filler in their set. Out of the 5 or 6 times I've seen them, this was the performance I enjoyed the most.

Saturday:

Tyler Childers
Black Pumas
Marcus King Band
Zach Bryan
Shooter Jennings
Paul Cauthen
The Dip
Kelsey Waldon
Lillie Mae

Special Late night after show by Orville Peck

Notes: Lillie Mae was ok, skipped Kelsey Waldon, liked the Dip a lot, skipped Paul Cauthen. Liked Shooter Jennings A LOT - he brought out Orville Peck to sing a Waylon song and it kicked ass. Skipped Zach Bryan. Marcus King is so much better live than in the studio - brought out a big Fire on the Mountain jam in what I can only assume was a nod to the anniversary of Jerry's passing. Black Pumas were fucking great - they were one of my favorites of the weekend. Tyler Childers was....I dunno. He was a bit flat from a personality stand point - almost seemed uncomfortable. His band sounded tight, though TC didn't play much guitar nor did he do any solo songs. His setlist was for the real fans (no feathered indians, no whitehouse road, no nose to the grindstone). I really enjoyed his performance in the moment, but not loving it as much on reflection. He's in recovery and this is one of his first shows back, so maybe that's what was going on.

Saturday late night - we left the main grounds and went to this little stage tucked back in the woods behind some tent camping and Orville Peck comes out for a covers set. He's quite the showman and after seeing him with Shooter, we were pretty pumped. He absolutely brought the goods. His late night show was one of the top 3 performances of the weekend for me. He brought out Paul Cauthen for the first live performance of "The Unrighteous Brothers" and they sang "Unchained Melody / You've Lost That Loving Feeling" and killed it. Glad we stayed up for this set. He played until about 12:30 and there was another band playing after him, but we couldn't hang so we called it a night.

Sunday:

Leon Bridges
Khruangbin
Mt Joy
Orville Peck
Hamilton Leithouser
Charley Crockett
Bendigo Fletcher
Vincent Neil Emerson

Notes: Skipped VNE, really liked Bendigo Fletcher and like Caamp they had a great live sound. Charley Crockett killed it - true showman. Skipped Hamilton. Orville Peck, round 2 was equally awesome to the late night set. Mt Joy live was fantastic. Khruangbin was in my top 3 - I'm thinking about going to see them headline Red Rocks later this month so I can get a full show. They invited Leon out for Texas Sun and that was great. Leon Bridges was so much better than the last time I saw him - love the new sound.

Overall - killer line up. We stayed in an RV so avoided a lot of issues with camping that people in tents seemed to be struggling with.
Top 5 shows for me: Orville Peck (late night), Khruangbin, Avetts, Leon Bridges, Black Pumas

Last edited:
a lineup after my own heart

i prob would have tried to make the effort for hamilton leithouser but otherwise, those highlights look amazing

sweet lineup, but why did you skip Cut Worms??

I dig 'em

Cut Worms is just ok for me; we were excited to be with friends and got busy drinking beer. Nobody in our group was pressing to go in before Yola so we just spent some time catching up and hanging in the lot.

speaking of the lot

heading up to hershey tonight for Phish

last night looked fun

SET ONE

First Tube
Axilla I
Fuego >
Runaway Jim
Gumbo
Sample In A Jar
Steam
Sugar Shack
Llama
Death Don't Hurt Very Long
Run Like An Antelope

SET TWO

No Men In No Man's Land
Soul Planet >
NICU
Joy
Scent Of A Mule
Golden Age
Prince Caspian >
Backwards Down The Number Line
The Lizards
Character Zero

ENCORE

Rock & Roll

speaking of the lot

heading up to hershey tonight for Phish

last night looked fun

SET ONE

First Tube
Axilla I
Fuego >
Runaway Jim
Gumbo
Sample In A Jar
Steam
Sugar Shack
Llama
Death Don't Hurt Very Long
Run Like An Antelope

SET TWO

No Men In No Man's Land
Soul Planet >
NICU
Joy
Scent Of A Mule
Golden Age
Prince Caspian >
Backwards Down The Number Line
The Lizards
Character Zero

ENCORE

Rock & Roll

NICE.

I went to the tour opener in Arkansas and had a great time...worst show of the tour though :)

My two buddies in Hershey said last night was fun; I think you'll get a very good night tonight. I'll catch them again for 2 nights at Dicks.

that 2nd set looks kinda rough on paper IDK. I have a friend and huge phan who lives in Hershey and she's been super jazzed for weeks about these shows. I'm sure she had a blast tho.

I'm hoping my TAB show next month doesn't get canceled.

Cut Worms is just ok for me; we were excited to be with friends and got busy drinking beer. Nobody in our group was pressing to go in before Yola so we just spent some time catching up and hanging in the lot.

how did it go re: masking?

just got an email from Pitchfork saying proof of vaccine or negative test required and masks encouraged

I can't imagine I'll actually mask 100% at an outdoor event -- i'm content to be further from the stage unmasked

how did it go re: masking?

just got an email from Pitchfork saying proof of vaccine or negative test required and masks encouraged

I can't imagine I'll actually mask 100% at an outdoor event -- i'm content to be further from the stage unmasked

Virtually no masking. I wore a mask when I was in line to get concessions, but otherwise did not wear on the lawn. Spacing between groups was not 6 feet, but people weren't generally on top of each other either.

saw that Isbell had to cancel his show in Houston because the venue wouldn't agree to his vax/testing requirements

I might get abused for this, but I'm an oldie so go easy. The better half and myself signed up for HootieFest in Cancun in late January.

Lineup:

Hootie & the Blowfish
Spin Doctors
Blues Traveler
Better Than Ezra
Sister Hazel
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Toadies
Drivin' n' Cryin'

I cut my post college music teeth on a lot of this group.

I might get abused for this, but I'm an oldie so go easy. The better half and myself signed up for HootieFest in Cancun in late January.

Lineup:

Hootie & the Blowfish
Spin Doctors
Blues Traveler
Better Than Ezra
Sister Hazel
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Toadies
Drivin' n' Cryin'

Very cool!! You're going to have a blast!

Lineup:

Hootie & the Blowfish
Spin Doctors
Blues Traveler
Better Than Ezra
Sister Hazel
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Toadies
Drivin' n' Cryin'

This is almost precisely the 1994 HORDE Tour line up, maybe 95.

Also speaking of Blues Traveler, four came out in 1994. Another great album for that year.

I�ve been listening to Rumours a ton lately. Was always on in my house growing up and it holds up so well. Just one of the most complete albums ever made.

I’ve been blasting this in my car all summer, hope you can appreciate it:

Just wrapped up a visit to Hinterland 2021 in St. Charles, IA. Lineup looked like this:

Friday:

Avett Brothers
Old Crow Medicine Show
Caamp
Yola
Cut Worms
Hex Girls

Notes: Skipped Cut Worms and Hex Girls. Yola was fantastic - tons of star potential. Caamp delivered the goods - they have a great way of translating their sound for a big stage. I had never seen OCMS before and they were good, if not a bit overly animated. Avett Brothers fucking killed it - all thriller no filler in their set. Out of the 5 or 6 times I've seen them, this was the performance I enjoyed the most.

Saturday:

Tyler Childers
Black Pumas
Marcus King Band
Zach Bryan
Shooter Jennings
Paul Cauthen
The Dip
Kelsey Waldon
Lillie Mae

Special Late night after show by Orville Peck

Notes: Lillie Mae was ok, skipped Kelsey Waldon, liked the Dip a lot, skipped Paul Cauthen. Liked Shooter Jennings A LOT - he brought out Orville Peck to sing a Waylon song and it kicked ass. Skipped Zach Bryan. Marcus King is so much better live than in the studio - brought out a big Fire on the Mountain jam in what I can only assume was a nod to the anniversary of Jerry's passing. Black Pumas were fucking great - they were one of my favorites of the weekend. Tyler Childers was....I dunno. He was a bit flat from a personality stand point - almost seemed uncomfortable. His band sounded tight, though TC didn't play much guitar nor did he do any solo songs. His setlist was for the real fans (no feathered indians, no whitehouse road, no nose to the grindstone). I really enjoyed his performance in the moment, but not loving it as much on reflection. He's in recovery and this is one of his first shows back, so maybe that's what was going on.

Saturday late night - we left the main grounds and went to this little stage tucked back in the woods behind some tent camping and Orville Peck comes out for a covers set. He's quite the showman and after seeing him with Shooter, we were pretty pumped. He absolutely brought the goods. His late night show was one of the top 3 performances of the weekend for me. He brought out Paul Cauthen for the first live performance of "The Unrighteous Brothers" and they sang "Unchained Melody / You've Lost That Loving Feeling" and killed it. Glad we stayed up for this set. He played until about 12:30 and there was another band playing after him, but we couldn't hang so we called it a night.

Sunday:

Leon Bridges
Khruangbin
Mt Joy
Orville Peck
Hamilton Leithouser
Charley Crockett
Bendigo Fletcher
Vincent Neil Emerson

Notes: Skipped VNE, really liked Bendigo Fletcher and like Caamp they had a great live sound. Charley Crockett killed it - true showman. Skipped Hamilton. Orville Peck, round 2 was equally awesome to the late night set. Mt Joy live was fantastic. Khruangbin was in my top 3 - I'm thinking about going to see them headline Red Rocks later this month so I can get a full show. They invited Leon out for Texas Sun and that was great. Leon Bridges was so much better than the last time I saw him - love the new sound.

Overall - killer line up. We stayed in an RV so avoided a lot of issues with camping that people in tents seemed to be struggling with.
Top 5 shows for me: Orville Peck (late night), Khruangbin, Avetts, Leon Bridges, Black Pumas

man this was on my list. i listen to their playlist on spotify often. would've hit VNE and maybe Zach Bryan.

Orville is on my list to get to whenever possible. Really dig his stuff. Glad you enjoyed the festival.

I saw Charley Crockett open a show when I had never heard of him. Showman is correct. I loved the set. I find myself skipping his stuff when streaming though.

I like what I have heard from Zach Bryan.
I really like Charlie Crockett, but his lisp can be very distracting on some of his songs. I saw him open for Jason Isbell a few years back and it was a great set.

Fun show last night. Rain came through just before and cooled things off, got a nice rainbow and a nice sunset. You Sexy Thing opened and closed the first set. Chalkdust Torture, Maze, Free, Gotta Jibboo and Bug were my highlights. Definitely liked the first set more but a solid show end to end, good time.

Back