• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What Celebrity Death Hit You Hardest?

jfk jr, because stupid abc preempted hours of british open coverage to talk about it

Agreed. Played golf that morning and came back to watch taped coverage that afternoon. Understand them breaking in, but they spent hours talking about it.

Left Prosser off because that seemed more like family than a celebrity.

I was surprised by how hard I was hit by the death of Harry Kalas (long time announcer for the Phillies.) It felt like I lost a part of my childhood. I've lived out of market since college so I didn't get to listen to him often, but I used to DVR the Puppy Bowl just to hear him call something.

2mdm0qv.jpg

I'll throw a new one out there...as a young golfer, Payne Stewart's death hit me pretty hard.

I can't explain why, but Heath Ledger's death really bummed me out. I don't have any of posters on my wall (then again I'm not a teenage girl) and I didn't exactly rush out to see a movie because he was in it. Nevertheless, he seemed like he had an extremely bright future.

Bias' death was one of those "I remember where I was" moments. It just seemed impossible, he had me convinced he was a superman after his last season.

Skip was personally hardest, and I remember Payne Stewart's death being particularly sad.

One I'll throw out there as just one that really made me think was Michael Jackson. I was living in the Bahamas when it happened, and during that time was on a tiny little family island (which was basically as advanced as 1950s USA). It seemed like the whole entire town was crowded into the one little food mart (with the 13" tv mounted in the corner) watching the reports, completely consumed by everything and emotionally hurting over his passing. I was pretty much unaffected in terms of being sad over his death, but I remember thinking just how incredible the scope of his influence was... it was an interesting realization/thought.

John Lennon-how it was broken to me(on MNF) was also something that had impact. As bizarre as it sounds Howard Cosell's rant really hit home.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't explain why, but Heath Ledger's death really bummed me out. I don't have any of posters on my wall (then again I'm not a teenage girl) and I didn't exactly rush out to see a movie because he was in it. Nevertheless, he seemed like he had an extremely bright future.

I would agree with this, especially after seeing him as the Joker.

Someone mentioned Leroi Moore, that one's high up for me as well.

Bias' death was one of those "I remember where I was" moments. It just seemed impossible, he had me convinced he was a superman after his last season.

Amen on the superman reference. Saw him score 41 in person against Duke that year (Maryland still lost:that year Duke lost to Louisville in the final game). Was just unstoppable.

My wife was never a big Ledger fan, but she refuses to watch the Dark Knight given the creepiness of his character and the timing of his death. Weird.

i don't expect most to know this name, but mike yaconelli. he's a writer, and i had always really loved his writing. he died just one week after i finally met him from a heart attack/car accident (i'm not entirely sure whether it was the heart attack or the impact that was actually listed as the cause of death. but the heart attack is what caused the accident). that one hit really hard.

Christopher Reeve was another one I just thought of, though it was his initial injury that was so shocking, not so much his eventual passing. There has been mention of how Bias seemed like Superman, but for me (and many others my age) Reeve WAS Superman, and that was pretty much it. It also impacts me more when there is a sudden accident with no wrongdoing by the victim, as opposed to something like a drug overdose or illness.

I know someone made fun of this earlier, but JFK Jr. really was so upsetting to me. I think bc he went to Brown when I was a kid and his family is all from around here. He was just the ideal American man for such a long time and to think of everything that happened to that family, I was impacted by it.

The only celebrity death that has ever impacted me is Skip.

My brother was working in the ER when they wheeled him in and called to tell me what had happened.

Skip Prosser is #1.

Macho Man is up there.

Back