• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What do your kids call your parents or what do you call your grandparents

names of grandparents

• Grandma/Grandpa

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • Grandmama/Granddaddy

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Nana/Papa

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Some combination of the above (also select those options)

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • Other

Votes: 35 44.3%
  • Doofus and Numbers

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Grandmother/Grandfather

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters
Our son calls my parents Ma and Gramps. I guess he got Ma from hearing us call her Mom and I think my dad chose Gramps for himself.

My point being is that as a red blooded american male, I would prefer not taking to poundtown someone who has a Oma, Memam, Mimi, Nan-Nan or Mamaw.

I can't possibly be alone in this. Adults calling their grandparents kiddish sounding names is most definately weird.

so do you expect somebody who has grown up calling their grandmother something for their entire life to change what word they use just because they're an adult now?

i don't have any more living grandparents, but if my grandmother were still alive, i would most definitely still call her mawmaw. that was her name from all of her grandkids. it's not going to change just because i'm an adult.

I miss my grandparents. For four unique reasons. And of course, I never kept in touch as much as I wish I had.

Wow. Moon changed after becoming a father.

Silly boy; I've been a father for 12 years. And my first would tell you I'm the greatest dad in the world and she wouldn't be reading off of a coffee cup. As mom of #2 says, you were put on this planet to be a dad. If there's one thing a woman knows, it's a good dad.

My point being is that as a red blooded american male, I would prefer not taking to poundtown someone who has a Oma, Memam, Mimi, Nan-Nan or Mamaw.

I can't possibly be alone in this. Adults calling their grandparents kiddish sounding names is most definately weird.

If she's yelling "Oma" during sex then I think you've got some other issues going on.

My grandparents chose for themselves before I was born (I was the oldest grandchild, obvs). Grandmama/Grandaddy and Grandma/Grandpa.

When my daughter was born (also the oldest grandchild) we extended the same courtesy to my parents and my in-laws. My parents chose Grandma and Grandpa, my in-laws chose Mimi and Papa. Care to take a stab at who is in denial that she's old enough to have grandchildren?

so do you expect somebody who has grown up calling their grandmother something for their entire life to change what word they use just because they're an adult now?

Yes. When I was 5 I called my mom mommy, that stopped around the time I was ten.

Same goes with my grandmom. I probably called her Grammy when I was 5, I called her Grandmom when I was 15.

Last edited:
Mom's parents were Grandmom/Granddad. Dad's parents are Gran and Pop
When I was a kid my mom's mom's grandmother (my great great grandmother) was still alive...she was 100 years and 2 days older than me. We called her Mother Laura....she died at 105, so I barely remember her...I only remember being scared of her because she was so old.

Mom's parents are Nana and Papa Jack (RIP)

Dad's parents are Mema and Papa Hank (RIP)

Ironically, both of my grandfathers were always called a name that wasn't their birth name. Jack was Glen Cameron and Hank was James Mitchell. They were called Hank and Jack since they were kids.

My wife's parents are called Gramma and Granddaddy by our niece.

I had this conversation with my mom earlier this week actually. Not sure what they will end up being called.

I am Granny, married to Poppy. It fits.

My grandparents were Granny and Dandy (combo of Grand and Daddy), and Grandfather and Grandmother.

Yes. When I was 5 I called my mom mommy, that stopped around the time I was ten.

Same goes with my grandmom. I probably called her Grammy when I was 5, I called her Grandmom when I was 15.

Well sorry you have a stick up your ass.

Moms: Granny & Paw-Paw
Dads: Granny and Grandfather

Mom's mom/stepdad: Nanny/Paw-Paw
Mom's dad: Paw-Paw
Dad's mom/dad: Mee-Maw/Paw-Paw

My mom/dad to my nephew: Granny/Paw-Paw

Silly boy; I've been a father for 12 years. And my first would tell you I'm the greatest dad in the world and she wouldn't be reading off of a coffee cup. As mom of #2 says, you were put on this planet to be a dad. If there's one thing a woman knows, it's a good dad.

This is like one of those "PhDeac is black and has a kid?" moments for me. I thought your new baby was your first.

My parents have always been Grandma and Grandpa - they have lots of grandchildren from my older siblings so my kids just picked that up and went with it.

However, on my wife's side our kids were the first grandchildren. When my oldest was born we asked her parents what they wanted to be called. My mother-in-law decided on "Henny" which was partially a play on her maiden name and partially a reference to the fact that she often referred to her kids as her "chickens" and herself as the mother hen. My father-in-law was running through possibilities one day and jokingly suggested "Granddude". We thought it might be funny to try to make it stick but it became "Doot" when my son tried to pronounce it and unbelievably that has stuck. Hence, we have Henny and Doot.

My kids have a Nana / Papa and a Grandmama / Granddaddy.

I only knew one of my grandparents because the other 3 passed away before my birth or when I was really young. I called my grandmother "Maaa-mingo!". I have no idea how that name came about. I had about 10 cousins on that side who all called her "Grandma" but I was dead set on "Maaa-mingo!" until I was about 17 when I fell to peer pressure and started calling her "Grandma". I am not of Latin descent.

So you have issues with people who love and respect their grandparents.

:noidea:

Everyone has their thing.

Back