• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What freedoms do you treasure most?

mebanedeac

Reaction score
I have friends living in various areas of the world that lack some of the fundamental freedoms that we enjoy routinely. Perhaps one way we can honor those who gave their lives in defense of our nation would be to think about the liberties they helped to preserve for us?

I treasure most the freedom to worship publicly according to the convictions of mind and conscience, doing so without any fear of harassment.

I treasure the freedom of speech, to say whatever I believe to be true and right. (I began this thread knowing that there will likely be some mocking replies and, as much as I personally dislike that, I love the fact that people can say what they want to say without being hauled off to face criminal charges for simply speaking/writing. I love the fact that this board has the Tunnel forum, as maddening as it is.) On this Memorial Day nothing troubles me more than the fact that the freedom to speak what one believes to be true is being threatened in serious ways. But we still have it and I am thankful.

I treasure the freedom to wage war on soda, families, Christmas, and the 2nd amendment

I treasure the freedom of speech too. Without it I wouldn't have been taught evolution and history, or learned that religion is full of myth and intolerance.

It's good that people have the freedom to reveal the true nature of their thoughts and the depth of their souls.

freedom of speech necessarily includes the freedom to ridicule, if that's what you want.

Last edited:
mebane is exercising his freedom to not answer this question.

I do not intend to start a fire storm, so I will limit my response to this:

My life's work involves public speech. In our neighbor to the north the freedom to do what I do without government interference has been seriously curtailed. There is a movement in the USA in that same direction. In fact, I think it is probable inevitable; but I hope not. Much more could be said; but I will leave it there.

My life's work involves public speech. In our neighbor to the north the freedom to do what I do without government interference has been seriously curtailed. There is a movement in the USA in that same direction. In fact, I think it is probable inevitable; but I hope not. Much more could be said; but I will leave it there.

The government will be interfering in your sermons? Are you fucking serious? Do you know what kind of shit comes out of the mouths of those snake handler psychos? How would that ever be "curtailed"?

The impression I get is that the government will be fine sitting back and letting you write and say whatever you want so that people can see what a paranoid nut you are.

I wouldn't call New York "our neighbor to the north", but the resistance to the Islamic Cultural Center in Times Square is a little disconcerting in terms of curtailing religious liberty. I'm surprised to see you upset about it. Kudos for you.

There's absolutely freedoms of speech and religion in Canada (if that's the 'neighbor to the north').

I wonder how you felt about the government in Tennessee curtailing citizens rights to build mosques.

See what a fine thing freedom of speech is?

As a great man once said: "out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks".

No really, can you please explain how the US government is going to be interfering with your sermons?

Back