• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What freedoms do you treasure most?

My honest hope was to begin a thread that would result in a discussion of genuine freedoms...freedoms that wonderfully define American life.

I should not have alluded to my concern for the loss of free speech. However it is a serious concern for me and I think it should be for every American.
But obviously that is not a concern recognized or shared by 99.9% of the folk here, so I should not have mentioned it at all.

I will post a link that more adequately explains precisely what I am concerned about; but I will not debate this. You are of course free to call me anything you wish.

http://www.albertmohler.com/2004/05/24/the-end-of-religious-liberty-in-canada/

Have a great Memorial Day week-end everyone.

The greatest threat to American religious liberty is not the perceived attack on Christianity from secularism. It's the very real attack on minority religions from American Christianity. It has been since the beginning.

My honest hope was to begin a thread that would result in a discussion of genuine freedoms...freedoms that wonderfully define American life.

I should not have alluded to my concern for the loss of free speech. However it is a serious concern for me and I think it should be for every American.
But obviously that is not a concern recognized or shared by 99.9% of the folk here, so I should not have mentioned it at all.

I will post a link that more adequately explains precisely what I am concerned about; but I will not debate this. You are of course free to call me anything you wish.

So you want to be free to tell gay people they are going to hell. Cool.

"The end result is that the Bible may now be considered a form of criminalized hate literature and Christians who teach that homosexuality is sinful may face criminal charges."

Has anyone ACTUALLY faced criminal charges? Has the government ACTUALLY designated the Bible as hate literature?

Does "every American" include the Muslims who want to build mosques in Tennessee or New York City?

As to the "moral decay" Carson and others speak about. The divorce rate has gone down in every state over the past 20 years:
"Every state in the U.S. that tracks divorce rates saw a drop in the number of people getting divorced over the last 20 years. As of 2009, Nevada was the state with the highest divorce rate, with 6.7 divorces per every 1,000 people -- down from 11.4 in 1990. Massachusetts, on the other had, only had 2.2 divorces per 1,000 people."

Plus more people are getting married.

Typically more than four times as many Americans practice their faith weekly in churches,etc. than in Britain; about three times as many as in France; five times as many as Germany and over six times as many in Australia.

mebane can't be serious with that prayer breakfast link. It shows the greatness of freedom of speech in practice.

Canadian fearmongering is almost as bad as American fearmongering.

Last edited:
It's kind of hilarious that mebane is worried about the government interfering with his sermons in a country where the Westboro Baptist Church exists and is largely allowed to say whatever they want.

That is an incredibly bigoted 9 year old article. Christianity still exists in Canada right? I'm not sure Jesus would have felt too threatened by hate speech legislation infringing on his movement.

It's kind of hilarious that mebane is worried about the government interfering with his sermons in a country where the Westboro Baptist Church exists and is largely allowed to say whatever they want.

End of thread.

so you don't like not being able to "preach" hate and damnation?

The freedom to post thinly-veiled political threads on the Pit.

Back