• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the Best French Fry Style?

The Best Fry?

• Crinkle Cut

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • Curly

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • Shoestring

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Standard (e.g. McDonalds style)

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • Steak

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Waffle

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters
not as skinny as a shoestring fry, not crinkle cut or waffle fry and, definitely not a steak fry.

1st street in W-S does awesome fries IMO. little thicker than a shoestring and somewhat crispy is the way to go.

French fries with the curry ketchup at Amsterdam Falafel in DC are my favorite. Crinkle cut at crappy burger/hot dog places are always delicious. Chik Fila waffle fries are great.

Mainly has to be crisp, get that mushy bullshit out of here. Seasoning matters too. Curly fries are usually seasoned with some random mix of stuff which is why they're awesome. I like shoe string fries but they are a PITA to eat so I usually go w/ fork on those.

Skippy's cheese fries were my favorite in Winston. I don't know if the re-opened Skippy's does them the same way since I haven't been yet. First Street does make good fries though.

Tots > Fries though.

French fries with the curry ketchup at Amsterdam Falafel in DC are my favorite. Crinkle cut at crappy burger/hot dog places are always delicious. Chik Fila waffle fries are great.

I have one near me in another town, these are very fine fries indeed.

Not sure how to answer quiz though, for me the best presentation of fries is poutine, which I suppose is "standard" for how the fries are prepared.

I have one near me in another town, these are very fine fries indeed.

Not sure how to answer quiz though, for me the best presentation of fries is poutine, which I suppose is "standard" for how the fries are prepared.

Yeah I opened this thread hoping there would be a poutine option.

A great crispy crinkle cut or steak beats the rest. Unfortunately, there's a high margin of error and they often end up mushy.

Standard is safe. Low risk. Hard to mess up.

I love curly, but that's probably because curly is more likely to be well-seasoned.

If they're cooked well and seasoned appropriately, then all of them can be winners.

My favorite style and seasoning combination: boardwalk style fries with salt and vinegar.

Curly are typically my favorite because they have the best balance of crispy edges and not-dried-but-soft area, too.
Steak fries are the worst, I don't think I've ever had good ones.
Crinkle Cut can be really hit or miss.

I like Arby's sandwiches but stopped going there once all they had was curly fries. I really dislike the seasoning on almost all curly fries.

It's hard to beat Mcdonald's fries - there is a reason there are so many Mcdonald's restaurants out there...

But I voted for crinkle cut - all the shapes are good but I have always liked a good crinkle cut fry.

I love tots (and wedges, while we're at it), but I don't really consider them "fries".

Sweet Potato fries are nice sometimes, but yeah, going normal fries over them if I have to choose one for the rest of my life.

There's a place here in Asheville that makes some really awesome sweet potato tots though.

Back