• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the greatest invention in the history of mankind?

Man, can you imagine having to move furniture around in a cave with your wife telling you where to place the ottoman, when the ottoman is probably just some big rock ?

I didn't realize Fire was one of Say Hey's fetishes.

Man, can you imagine having to move furniture around in a cave with your wife telling you where to place the ottoman, when the ottoman is probably just some big rock ?
This is actually a foundational argument in the cave historian world. The irregularity of cave walls pushed our Paleolithic ancestors (the Steve evolutionary branch) to invent square houses. Abraham Lincoln was a seminal figure in the so-called angular abode movement. The glass house epoch was a much later development.

You idiots. If we didn't invent fire, we would have wasted away and died out as a species 1000 years ago. Wouldn't have later invented the wheel or bread or cars or any of that shit. A goddamn printing press? Are you kidding me? Without fire we wouldn't be able to light a candle, wouldn't be able to read stuff anyway so WGAF about a printing press?

fire was not invented by men

which has caused greater and more dramatic change, the invention of agriculture or the industrial revolution (the invention of using inanimate sources of power on a vast scale)?

I think probably the latter

Don't have to. The Flintstones already showed us what it was like.

2_flintstones-living-room-2.jpg

If you want a real answer about what made mankind mankind (forgetting for the moment the distinctions between "invention"/"innovation"/"discovery" etc.) the answer is meat-eating. And fire was pretty fundamentally important in this development. The turn to meat consumption was ultimately responsible for the development of the human brain and advanced cognition (whatever that means).

I guess meat-eating plus opposable thumbs meant game over for the rest of the animal kingdom.

Fire is the obvious pick. Folks answering other stuff are just overthinking it and/or wanting to pick something different for the sake of being a contrarian. Like not voting for Jordan as MVP.

Fire is not an invention of man. Lightning started forest fires long before we got here. We didn't invent electricity either. Both were harnessed but already existed in nature.

Arrowhead or spearhead. Then the wheel. Then the internal combustion engine, dirty though it may be.

Fire is not an invention of man. Lightning started forest fires long before we got here. We didn't invent electricity either. Both were harnessed but already existed in nature.

Arrowhead or spearhead. Then the wheel. Then the internal combustion engine, dirty though it may be.

OMG, do I really have to explain this again? Of course lightning started forest fires, but lightning basically is fire, so it didn't "make" fire. We had to figure out how to make fire on our own. Unlike lightning, a caveman couldn't just touch a tree and make it catch on fire. The caveman had to invent fire. That happened, then we started eating meat and that made our brains smarter like wakephan09 said and then we were able to make arrowheads and wheels and fleshlights.

Back