• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the worst facet of American elections?

the wooooorst

• Electoral College

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Campaign finance

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • Gerrymandering

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
Don't forget Babs Mikulski

key_peele_east_west_640x360.jpg

2&2 is the worst facet of America[n elections]

Voted for finance but gerrymandering is right up there and one feeds the other.

Also, it's crazy that we have one election day on a Tuesday. Make it a holiday or move it to a weekend.

i think that election day should be a national holiday.

Gerrymandering. Districts that are safe for one party are the reason the House is so much more extreme and disfunctional than the Senate. When your biggest opponent is your primary challenger, rather than the general election opponent, you get pushed to extremes.

Campaign finance is a problem as well, but much less likely to be fixed. While Citizens United has had a terrible impact, the legal reasoning is sound. If we want to limit expenditures, we will need a constitutional amendement. Good luck with that.

You voted gerrymandering, but your second paragraph sounds like an argument for campaign financing.

In other words, if it'll take a Constitutional amendment to take out Citizens United, then that's a much bigger problem.

Get better friends. People who whine about Facebook have just done a poor job making friends.

We need to go to elections every four years. We have too many elections. More people would vote. There would be more time to govern instead of perpetual fundraising.

I agree with this. I voted campaign finance laws but there is something else that should have been on the poll - the absolutist position our society has taken on First Amendment rights. This makes us unable to restrict campaigning periods, campaign advertising, who can give, how much, etc. etc. like most other Western countries. It goes far beyond Citizens United. This is actually what lies behind all the money in the system. Because campaigns go on forever and spending is completely unrestricted, our politicians are in constant campaign mode instead of get something done mode, and campaigns have become astronomically expensive which feeds the campaign finance monster and the need for politicians to laser-focus on campaign cash instead of fixing problems.

There's this guy on the Internet named 923 who disagrees with the Supreme Court's Free Speech jurisprudence since 1976...

Gerrymandered districts are by far the worst. In 2012, Democrats running for the House got more votes nationwide than Republicans, but ended up with 33 fewer seats

I dislike holdout precincts or counties which do not report their counts every year until all other precincts are in. Sort of the Chicago approach. It gives the impression there is something unholy going on.

It looks like they're only down by 1-2% overall in national vote and are down by 63 seats (if the stats are updated across the multiple platforms I'm using).

That's pretty silly.

The worst facet of American elections is the uninformed electorate who keeps voting because everyone tells them they must exercise their right to vote as Americans. One informed voter who has examined all sides of issues and votes accordingly will have their vote cancelled by some yokel who just votes based on tv ads they saw during Wheel of Fortune.

Back