• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the worst facet of American elections?

the wooooorst

• Electoral College

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Campaign finance

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • Gerrymandering

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
your wife must be a fucking saint

She is. I did a good job picking a wife, too. She doesn't have a tough job because I don't say stuff that implies all the shitty people I know post inane crap on the internet. Hell, I rely on dopes I don't know on here for that.

Get better friends. People who whine about Facebook have just done a poor job making friends.

Clearly you have a PhD in Friendmaking because that's the best advice you've given on any of the boards. The ones complaining (not just today, but in every election) are about 95% Democrat.

Clearly you have a PhD in Friendmaking because that's the best advice you've given on any of the boards. The ones complaining (not just today, but in every election) are about 95% Democrat.
Yeah, I'm friends with a bunch of college graduates too.

what is wrong with people who didn't graduate from college?

There's this guy on the Internet named 923 who disagrees with the Supreme Court's Free Speech jurisprudence since 1976...

first of all posrep, that was good.

Substantively I actually don't disagree with the reasoning the court has used on campaign finance or Citizens United. The First Amendment is extremely clear and simple, it says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." It's really, really hard to find a way to regulate campaign finance and political speech around that.

If I was king I'd add an amendment regulating political speech and political spending, because the free for all we have now is actively undermining the faith of the US population in the entire democratic system. That can be clearly seen in turnout numbers which even in Presidential years are among the lowest, if not the lowest, among all democratic nations.

She is. I did a good job picking a wife, too. She doesn't have a tough job because I don't say stuff that implies all the shitty people I know post inane crap on the internet. Hell, I rely on dopes I don't know on here for that.

i love this post so so much.

I suggest you go and review the first several pages of the Facebook Gold From Crazies thread, started in the immediate aftermath of the 2012 election.

tumblr_mstbbzHKOm1qj171uo1_500.jpg

My vote doesn't count more than some uneducated yokel. Or a woman's.

The worst facet of American elections is the uninformed electorate who keeps voting because everyone tells them they must exercise their right to vote as Americans. One informed voter who has examined all sides of issues and votes accordingly will have their vote cancelled by some yokel who just votes based on tv ads they saw during Wheel of Fortune.

Same as mine.

I should get extra vote power for owning land as well.

The worst facet of American elections is the uninformed electorate who keeps voting because everyone tells them they must exercise their right to vote as Americans. One informed voter who has examined all sides of issues and votes accordingly will have their vote cancelled by some yokel who just votes based on tv ads they saw during Wheel of Fortune.

:rulz:

if it's just that we have a relatively uninformed electorate, maybe, but the idea that all votes count equally is a bad thing is pretty : rulz : worthy

if it's just that we have a relatively uninformed electorate, maybe, but the idea that all votes count equally is a bad thing is pretty : rulz : worthy

Is it? There is still support for the electoral college and having two senators per state.

i wasn't reading his post as "all voted being equal is bad", i read it as "knowing we have low turnout + massively uniformed populace makes me fatalistic about elections"

similarly, it's disheartening to me that 20% of the small portion of this week's election was 65+ and that 18-30 was only 13%

FT_2014.Midterm.Exit_.Poll_.Ages_.png

and yet we have one of the largest lobby groups in the country set up for the largest percentage of the electorate

hmm

Back