• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is your favorite thing about going camping?

Sleeping outside is my favorite. I love the cool night air, I love staring into a campfire, I love burrowing into a mummy bag, I love how everything packs up into a size where I can carry everything I need on my back, I love making and drinking coffee outside in the morning... I could go on.
Camped last weekend; pitched a tent at Smith Rock on Friday night, then on Saturday night just found a spot up a forest service road and pitched the tent by the car. Absolutely awesome.

eta: would also agree that while I prefer being away from other people, car camping with noobs has its place... and that place is with a shit ton of High Life.

went camping near crater lake a few weeks ago leebs. it was awesome. so many mosquitos though.

went camping near crater lake a few weeks ago leebs. it was awesome. so many mosquitos though.

where were you? Diamond Lake? SO MANY MOSQUITOES right now.

Sleeping outside is my favorite. I love the cool night air, I love staring into a campfire, I love burrowing into a mummy bag, I love how everything packs up into a size where I can carry everything I need on my back, I love making and drinking coffee outside in the morning... I could go on.
Camped last weekend; pitched a tent at Smith Rock on Friday night, then on Saturday night just found a spot up a forest service road and pitched the tent by the car. Absolutely awesome.

eta: would also agree that while I prefer being away from other people, car camping with noobs has its place... and that place is with a shit ton of High Life.

All of this plus dark skies, drinking whiskey by fire, sounds of nature, backcountry fishing, big mountains, solitude, quiet, lack of connectivity to the electronic world. Plus the baby sleeps much better in a tent than she does at home (and she's a pretty good sleeper).

Having a 4x4 makes remote car camping easy to do while still providing some luxuries not otherwise afforded by backpacking. The trade off, of course, is you're still limited to staying on a road, regardless of how challenging a drive. Still plenty of places to go by car where you stand a very good chance of not seeing anyone all weekend.

Dang, catamount gets raging drunk and does drugs and was a river guide. What a strangely perplexing creature.

All of this plus dark skies, drinking whiskey by fire, sounds of nature, backcountry fishing, big mountains, solitude, quiet, lack of connectivity to the electronic world. Plus the baby sleeps much better in a tent than she does at home (and she's a pretty good sleeper).

Having a 4x4 makes remote car camping easy to do while still providing some luxuries not otherwise afforded by backpacking. The trade off, of course, is you're still limited to staying on a road, regardless of how challenging a drive. Still plenty of places to go by car where you stand a very good chance of not seeing anyone all weekend.

Yeah, you're hitting the stuff I could go on about. I always sleep better outside (and I'm not a bad sleeper), and agreed on the 4x4. The Element I bought has upgraded wheels and tires, so we were able to get pretty far out there this weekend without much issue... makes for a pretty cool "car camping" experience.

so much this. whiskey+fire+STARS

Hate camping, prefer my bed and real toilet.
But when I have gone camping, I'd say my favorite thing is fucking in a tent.

oh man, saw some good shooting stars at smith this weekend. probably would have seen more, but the moon was so bright it was washing out the stars.

people who don't like camping make me suspicious of them.

Fishing in the local streams, gutting, grilling and eating the fish within an hour of catching them. The aforementioned whiskey by the fire is a good time too.

Yeah, you should be doing about 100 miles a week at that rate.

Yeah iirc, which I try not to, it was prolly 8-10 miles a day, through pretty steep territory, mostly along the NC/TN border. That would mean about 40-50 miles a week, and it was so effing hot that sometimes we would walk a mile or so one way out of our way on a water trail (most of the time to find a trickle or no water at all), so that would put another mile or two on the meter for the day.

LOL. This is great. What was the worst part? Any specific terrible memories?

The whole thing was terrible. I really started to lose it by the end. One of my buddies fell off a narrow and steep part of a trail going down a mountain and really sprained his ankle pretty bad, they called a car to come pick him up, at which point I then considered faking or taking a fall myself.

Also the food was re-hydratable shit. We had food groups of 3 bros that we divided carrying a weeks worth of food, ovens, pots, utensils, etc. One of the only good items of sustenance we were given were packs of powdered gatorade. We had enough for one per day, split three ways, it would make about a quart of gatorade or you could stretch it out a little farther if you made it weaker. A dude in my food group was fucking around and spilled the whole thing of gatorade one night, which not only wasted the gatorade but also a quart or so of water that we really couldnt spare. I came at him and was trying to choke him before they pulled me off.

Looking back it wasnt too different from this

40161272.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite thing about going camping is fire and bourbon.

No fires allowed but have any of you camped at Hammocks Beach? Magical.

Yeah iirc, which I try not to, it was prolly 8-10 miles a day, through pretty steep territory, mostly along the NC/TN border. That would mean about 40-50 miles a week, and it was so effing hot that sometimes we would walk a mile or so one way out of our way on a water trail (most of the time to find a trickle or no water at all), so that would put another mile or two on the meter for the day.

The whole thing was terrible. I really started to lose it by the end. One of my buddies fell off a narrow and steep part of a trail going down a mountain and really sprained his ankle pretty bad, they called a car to come pick him up, at which point I then considered faking or taking a fall myself.

Also the food was re-hydratable shit. We had food groups of 3 bros that we divided carrying a weeks worth of food, ovens, pots, utensils, etc. One of the only good items of sustenance we were given were packs of powdered gatorade. We had enough for one per day, split three ways, it would make about a quart of gatorade or you could stretch it out a little father if you made it weaker. A dude in my food group was fucking around and spilled the whole thing of gatorade one night, which not only wasted the gatorade but also a quart or so of water that we really couldnt spare. I came at him and was trying to choke him before they pulled me off.

I'm just imagining this all happening while your dad is back at home, sitting in a recliner, satisfied that his son is building character and also gaining an appreciation and love for the outdoors. Cautionary tale for us parents.

they came to pick me up all excited and there was like a going home reception where the parents could talk to the counselors and each other and whatever, and I was like fuck this we are leaving now I fucking h888888 these fucking hilljacks. On the way home I ate over $20 in 1992 money @ McDonalds, which is pretty impressive I think.

Good choice. The campground at Crater Lake is terrible. We took one look and moved on. Loved Crater Lake though.

yeah... they have one area that's more remote (i think 8 sites, hike in) but it's hard to get a spot. the rest of it is like being surrounded by the Lampoons.

Back