• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is your greatest athletic achievement?

PRESIDENTIAL PHYSICAL FITNESS AWARD IN 5TH GRADE!!!!!

preparing for the jealous neg-reps........

I returned a fumble 68 yards for a TD once in high school. The only time I ever got to carry the ball. I slowed down around the 15 yard line to stiff arm a little receiver who caught up to me from the opposite side of the field. Coach went apeshit thinking I would get tackled or fumble it back to him. I wasn't going to let a damn thing keep me out of the endzone.

I was winded for the rest of the game. Which we lost anyway.

Shot even par in my first ever round Forsyth Amateur at Reynolds Park. Not a great accomplishment, but it was the only time (still) that I had ever shot even par. I was in like 10th place...there was nowhere to go but down from there.

finished 4th in districts in the 800 in high school.

My favorite moment is 8th grade bball we were down by 1 point and the other team is shooting free throws with like 8 seconds left. I'm standing at half court, my teammate gets the rebound and I sprint toward the basket he launches a pass that I grab hit the layup and get fouled with like 4 seconds left. I was amped up, my team was celebrating, people were cheering. I look over at my dad in the stands and stone faced he goes "Make the free throw". I hit the free throw give my dad a look, and we win after the other team missed their desperation heave.

That had to be a really proud moment for your dad to see!

Tie:

Dunked on Halston Lane at Georgia Tech in a pickup game on Tech's campus with about 40 people watching including most of their team. He was the only guy back on a breakaway.

Shot a 68 at a US Amateur qualifier a few years ago near DC. Ended up missing the alternates by a few strokes after a rough 2nd day, but 68 was tied for low round of day 1.

I've run 6 marathons, but my times are nothing compared to the other runners round these parts. I'm proud of running them anyway.

thank god tack hasn't found this thread

Benched 395 at Wake;

Undefeated junior and senior regular seasons (football) in high school;

Member of intramural basketball champs at Wake (New Breed);

Member of intramural basketball champs at Richmond law; and

Member of Independence bowl champions!

I hit the winning RBI in the championship game in little league when I was 9.

I averaged a Kevin Love the last year I played organized bball (15).

I made it to the state quarterfinals in doubles my senior year of high school.

Mine is a split between these two....

My most impressive "athletic achievement" is that I got the second highest (at the time, no idea what it is anymore) squat record at my high school of 545lbs. The record was 565lbs set 3 or 4 years previously. I tried to tie record later that day and on my way back up (don't know if I had it anyway, but I was starting back up) I felt something tweak in my back and I just let go.....completely ruined the bar. I had pulled a muscle, it was the last time I ever tried to squat large amounts of weight...the injury still pops up from time to time, but only for a day or two.

The thing that I look most fondly on happened in the last 18 months. I was playing 5 on 5 full court at UNCA one weekend. Mostly college aged kids, and they could all play. Most were pretty decent individuals, but there was this one kid who wouldn't shut up. He was really good, but not that good. These kids were generally 5'10 to 6'4" and fairly skinny (like washed out high school bball players). I'm not in bad shape, but I was 45lbs bigger than the next biggest guy there and after a few games you could tell I was definitely a step or two slower. The annoying kid kept on making this comments towards me, specifically regarding that....nothing too malicious, but the quantity and the fact that I didn't know him from Adam (who's this little 19 y/o college punk to talk shit to me?) was really starting to piss me off and my teammates (who I'd played with several times before) were starting to notice (he was annoying them too). Anyway, my team has the ball and I set a high screen on the wing just beyond the 3pt line. My defender was got caught up in traffic and as I rolled off the screen I had a clear route to the basket, I got the ball. As soon as I got the ball my eyes got big with my clear path to the basket and I decided I was going to try and jam. (I can dunk, but only about 25% of the tries and I'd never done it in a game). The annoying kid was coming off the other wing to try and block me.....but he was about a step to slow and I jammed right in his punk face...he fouled the shit out of me, but because I was so much bigger, he ended up on the floor and I landed on my feet....of course everyone on my team was hollering and talking shit, I just stood over the little shit head dripped some sweat on him and didn't say a word. he didn't talk for the rest of the game.....it was awesome.

ETA...i don't have that many impressive endurance feats like marathons, or even half marathons, but I'm pretty proud of riding my bike from my house (elevation 2100ft) to the bottom of Craggy Gardens (elevation 5600ft) and back. It's 20 miles each way...the first 2 miles are from my house to the Blue Ridge parkway are rather flat and then the next 18 are completely uphill. I can't think of many times when I was more exhausted than after I got home from that ride

Last edited:
205 yard hole-in-one with all carry over water until the green

Chosen to MN All-Star Hockey team as a RW/C (57 points in 40 games)

Third place overall in a triathalon (forget the actual distances, maybe 6 mile run and 12 mile bike?)

I finished a 10K without dying.

Also I can ski double blacks in the Rockies (although I'm getting too old for that shit now).

That's all I got.:rulz:

Both of these, but 1) only a 5K (I've run more than 10K before, just not in a race) and 2) I snowboard, though I'm not yet "too old for that shit"

With a win tomorrow, coaching a kickball team to a .500 record after coming off an 0-8 season

But my greatest achievement is first place overall and in my fleet in an Optimist regatta on Sodus Bay, NY in like 9th or 10th grade

Played for two state championship golf teams in high school.

Aced a par 4 in 1999.

1. Medalist in a US Am qualifier in 2005

2. Back-to-back state golf individual titles while winning team titles also

3. 12 & U AAU tournament, team down 1, Eric Hicks (played at Cinci) misses a FT, I grab the rebound, take 3 dribbles up the court, throw a long pass to Chris Paul, who buries a layup and the foul at the buzzer for us to win.

Undefeated regular season in #1 Doubles my senior season. My doubles partner was 9-1 in #1 singles and I was 3-7 in #2 singles, so in no way should we have been undefeated, mainly because I sucked in singles. However, we were a great team and used to play Australian Doubles most of the time which would totally screw up our opponents.

I returned a fumble 68 yards for a TD once in high school. The only time I ever got to carry the ball. I slowed down around the 15 yard line to stiff arm a little receiver who caught up to me from the opposite side of the field. Coach went apeshit thinking I would get tackled or fumble it back to him. I wasn't going to let a damn thing keep me out of the endzone.

Back