• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What most embarasses you about your own political party?

We need a strong third party to keep the others in line.

Plus we need to publicly finance are Congressional and Presidential elections. If we take prive money out of politics things will be much better.

That they thought Trump was a viable candidate. He was Perot with hair.

My political beliefs don't fit in with the American two party system. I like and dislike some aspects of both of the two major parties. I like the big defense budget and strong military stances of the Republican party but dislike the asinine Reaganomics usually advocated to pay for it. I like many of the social, environmental, and healthcare policies of the Democrats, but dislike their support of labor unions and to an extent general inefficient over-regulation of some industries. I guess that puts me somewhere as a moderate on the American political spectrum, though I tend to label myself as more of a liberal. I'd rather be distanced as far apart from the Rush Limbaughs, Sarah Palins, Michael Moores, and Al Sharptons of the world as possible.

My political beliefs don't fit in with the American two party system. I like and dislike some aspects of both of the two major parties. I like the big defense budget and strong military stances of the Republican party but dislike the asinine Reaganomics usually advocated to pay for it. I like many of the social, environmental, and healthcare policies of the Democrats, but dislike their support of labor unions and to an extent general inefficient over-regulation of some industries. I guess that puts me somewhere as a moderate on the American political spectrum, though I tend to label myself as more of a liberal. I'd rather be distanced as far apart from the Rush Limbaughs, Sarah Palins, Michael Moores, and Al Sharptons of the world as possible.

This ^

Which is why I have called myself a "Radical Moderate" for the past 2 years...I extend my middle digit to both "far wings" of the two parties.

There's one guy I think could give President Obama a run for his money in '12 and that's Jon Huntsman. The usual suspects are already piling on his stance on environmental issues that are apparently heterodox. The other thing that will keep him from the nomination is something else that embarrasses me about the GOP: they'll never wholeheartedly support him because he's LDS.

Romney is LDS...though you are right that some elements of the RR won't ever go for that.

I'm embarrassed by a lot of things, from the plethora of bad hair cuts (as represented by Trent Lot, Bill Frist, and Rick Perry...or maybe I just have hair envy), to their complete inability since Reagan to articulate their beliefs in a strong but sensible way. I don't like that the RR controls so much of the focus. I don't mind that their influence is there-- I mean, who likes abortions, right?-- but the incessant focus drives me nuts, even though I am generally pro-life and agree with much of what they say...only I reach the same conclusions for different reasons, which goes back to what I said about their inability to articulate. If they could agree with the RR without sounding like they're pimping God, that would be a great deal. You can be an advocate for morality without sounding like a sanctimonious douchebag.. As somebody has already said, it is nice that the tea party has turned the focus to more important issues like fiscal sanity.

Great post.

RJ's correct. We need a viable 3rd party. He's been saying that since I started lurking here around the Orange Bowl.

If I was in a party and had to specify it would be the religious right and as OGD put it "over-regulation" of industries.

There's no such thing as a viable third party because there's no one third opinion. A third party would be like Maryland basketball in the early part of the decade, probably a better option than the two major party powers, but not what I'm specifically rooting for.

I agree with that whole statement verbatim.

There's no such thing as a viable third party because there's no one third opinion. A third party would be like Maryland basketball in the early part of the decade, probably a better option than the two major party powers, but not what I'm specifically rooting for.

What are you saying? We all have to fit into one of two slots? I think this thread shows ideologically a third party is viable. Economically the law prevents it.

I'm cool with my "party": Independent.

[I left the Pubs, don't want to join the Dems]

What are you saying? We all have to fit into one of two slots? I think this thread shows ideologically a third party is viable. Economically the law prevents it.

No, this thread shows that ideologically a third party would fail because mostly people hate different things in the two parties and because mostly people think different things are the most important.

No, this thread shows that ideologically a third party would fail because mostly people hate different things in the two parties and because mostly people think different things are the most important.

Liberal Democrats say hey. The fact of the matter is our (USA) political system has been built in such a way that a third party can't break in.

The two parties really are like Carolina and Duke. They claim to hate each other above all else, but dont you dare act like there is room for anyone else.

There'sa 25-35% on the right and the left. There is 30-50% who fall in between.

If a party was a little to the left socially (gay rights/marriage, forgetting about abortion, no religion in politics) and moderate economically (free/fairer trade, better tax policy, less wild defense spending), it would be very competitive.

If we could get 10-20 IND in the Senate and about 35-50 seats in the House within three cycles, the tone would dramatically change.

But vby far the most important is to have a Conostituional Amendment funding all federal campaigns publicly. Any law will overturned by this radically right five on the Supreme Court.

If a party was a little to the left socially (gay rights/marriage, forgetting about abortion, no religion in politics) and moderate economically (free/fairer trade, better tax policy, less wild defense spending), it would be very competitive.

If we could get 10-20 IND in the Senate and about 35-50 seats in the House within three cycles, the tone would dramatically change.

But vby far the most important is to have a Conostituional Amendment funding all federal campaigns publicly. Any law will overturned by this radically right five on the Supreme Court.

Most people like defense spending and would not characterize it as "wild', particularly when compared to entitlements. After all, defense is the one gov't program that actually builds character in the citizens participating in it (versus dependency).

We've covered this ground many times previously, but you know you just described the Libertarian party.

Most people like defense spending and would not characterize it as "wild', particularly when compared to entitlements. After all, defense is the one gov't program that actually builds character in the citizens participating in it (versus dependency).

Head Start doesn't build character? Federal Stafford loans that allow citizens to get an education?

Head Start doesn't build character? Federal Stafford loans that allow citizens to get an education?

Programs that teach independence are sustainable. The supermajority of social programs teach dependence, rather than initiative and innovation.

Back