• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What most embarasses you about your own political party?

Programs that teach independence are sustainable. The supermajority of social programs teach dependence, rather than initiative and innovation.

So you'd support government programs that teach independence?

No, this thread shows that ideologically a third party would fail because mostly people hate different things in the two parties and because mostly people think different things are the most important.

We've covered this ground many times previously, but you know you just described the Libertarian party.

Libertarians are very much agasint social programs and their leader, Paul, even has problems with the Civil Rights Act in regards to businesses.

Libertarians are very much agasint social programs and their leader, Paul, even has problems with the Civil Rights Act in regards to businesses.

Ron Paul is the leader of the Libertarain Party? That's going to be news to Libertarians everywhere, including party leader Nic Coome and candidate Andrew Withers, I'm sure it will be news to Ron Paul as well.

Moderate democrat.

Idiots like Maxine Waters.

Great post.

RJ's correct. We need a viable 3rd party. He's been saying that since I started lurking here around the Orange Bowl.

If I was in a party and had to specify it would be the religious right and as OGD put it "over-regulation" of industries.

In Gore Vidal's classic compendium of essays "The United States 1952 to 1992" he recounts a funny instance when John Anderson was running as the independent candidate in 1976...asked why he was running as a 3rd party candidate Anderson somewhat cryptically responded "because I believe in a 2 party system" :)

The present 2 party system is a charade and I. for one, am wondering when the United States will have its 'facebook moment' as the Arab world has been dealt this spring...oh, I'm sorry, I forgot...we have a perfected Democracy here in the United States and so no real changes are necessary.

...and so it goes...the present parties want no interruption of "the game" and will work together to villify any alternative option...another option is 'bad for business' for the reigning constituents of the Oligopoly.

A viable 3rd party = Democrat majorities forever.

This might be the most well-reasoned, rational thread in the history of the politics board.

What are you saying? We all have to fit into one of two slots? I think this thread shows ideologically a third party is viable. Economically the law prevents it.

Not just economically, some states have byzantine requirements for parties to be on the ballot.

Head Start doesn't build character? Federal Stafford loans that allow citizens to get an education?

Fuck Stafford loans. The government has me bent over at 8.5% and 6.8%. My private loan is at 2.9%. I wish I had gone all private instead of accepting this 'favor' from Uncle Sam.

A viable 3rd party = Democrat majorities forever.

why do you figure that? If the third party was going to be viable, they'd have to draw equal numbers from the moderate right and the moderate left. The fringes would still vote for the Dems and Pubs, but I don't see why the Democrats would be in the majority.

I think you just like to repeat that to yourself so that you can justify your extreme partisan hackery in favor of the Pubs :thumbsup:

I hate the complete inability of the dailykos/moveon crowd to recognize the value in compromise. Also not a big fan of the national party's failure to put on their big boy pants about common-sense issues of the day (helping with Social Security/Medicare by raising the retirement age, legalization/decriminalization of drugs, adding more tax brackets).

Finally, I really dislike Mel Watt's moustache. I don't even know why, but I hate it. And Brad Miller wears horrible clothes.

Bloomberg could start a third party. That would fut his ego. He would be the godfather of it. He could start with Hagel, Tester, Schweiker, Warner and a few others.

He could promise them enough money to run and freedom from litmus tests.

I dislike that my party is wimpy, accommodating, wavering, and hypocritical. Still...better than the alternative.

I define myself as moderate, but I usually vote Democrat. So, going down the party's "What We Stand For" page on its website, I'll just do issue by issue.

-Civil Rights: agree with most everything

-Economy and Job Creation: agree with a lot, but way too much demonization of corporations and big business. these "evil" corporations create tons of jobs.

-Education: way too much support for teacher's unions instead of for students. I hate how Dems so often back the status quo in education but are willing to push for change in so many other areas

-Energy Independence: Completely disagree with the whole concept. I think it's a dumb idea. Working towards more sustainable energy is a whole different story and a great idea but not so that we can become energy independent.

-Environment: mostly agree

-Fair Elections: mostly agree

-Health care: embarrassed that the Dems couldn't just have a backbone, come up with a comprehensive plan from start to finish, and pass the stupid thing when they had a majority in both houses and the presidency. instead, all the posturing with Repubs and in-party fighting made the whole plan seem less effective than it might be.

-Immigration reform: embarrassed that the Dems are trying to attach the most obvious, beneficial, and bi-partisan proposal (drastically increasing visas and green cards for highly educated workers) to comprehensive reform. just let the first part pass...it's that vital to our economy and keeping the reverse brain drain from happening at our universities.

-National security: mostly agree

-Open government: empty pledges like this annoy me. If they actually did a lot about it, I would be in favor though.

-Retirement security: mostly agree

-Science and Technology: mostly agree

-Voting rights: completely agree

Back