• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What rounds will Boogie, Sage, & Newman get drafted?

being a college football great isn't everyone's life goal.

not necessarily the same, but from a wake fan's perspective, greg dortch made a bad decision leaving early -- but i believe he said he doesn't regret it at all.

Yeah. There's no other way to say it except he screwed up. He could have been a college football great and he threw it away. Meanwhile his older brother maxed out his college career by changing positions, playing out his eligibility, and getting all-ACC and All-American honors. Chazz didn't even play a snap from scrimmage (only special teams) but he's got a season of 3rd round pick money and a shot at a career.

Man even dressing out and getting run on ST is still a pretty cool life experience.

not necessarily the same, but from a wake fan's perspective, greg dortch made a bad decision leaving early -- but i believe he said he doesn't regret it at all.

The USFL isn’t the goal either. Being a college football great is an affirmative step toward an NFL career.

The same people who say that Sage would not have benefitted from another year at Wake are the same ones who say Dortch wouldn't have either. Dortch though finally caught on last year with the Cardinals, as a KR, something he wasn't exactly known for at Wake (his punt returns were better). Over the course of 3 season, Dortch went from the Jets to Panthers to Rams to Falcons to Cardinals. In 3 seasons he has appeared in 7 games, and still has not caught a pass, but at least has gotten paid.

It will be interesting to see if Sage eventually catches on somewhere as well, but I don't think he translates to special teams as well as Greg did.

Not to sound like a broken record, but we could legitimately have had a WR group of Perry, Roberson, Dortch and Sage last season.

Sage is going to make a fine football coach in Lincoln County, North Carolina. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I guarantee these guys regret their decisions. None of them lack confidence, in their mind they just lacked opportunity. Since Sage whiffed on the NFL, I 100% bet he thinks man, if i had just come back to wake and been 1st team all American then I would have been drafted. Not a criticism of him, it’s just the mindset of high level athletes.

I guarantee these guys regret their decisions. None of them lack confidence, in their mind they just lacked opportunity. Since Sage whiffed on the NFL, I 100% bet he thinks man, if i had just come back to wake and been 1st team all American then I would have been drafted. Not a criticism of him, it’s just the mindset of high level athletes.

I think Sage and Dortch are different cases, and I understand Dortch's decision more than Sage's. I will say, if Sage does not regret leaving early, he is delusional.

In 3 seasons he has appeared in 7 games, and still has not caught a pass, but at least has gotten paid.

Not that it really matters, but this is incorrect. Dortch had 3 receptions for 15 yards for Arizona last season.

WGAF if Sage feels regret or not. Whatever he felt, hope he has moved on, unlike some here.

He crushed it for two seasons at WF, and it was awesome watching him play. Would've been fun if he had returned, but WF football has thrived since Sage left, particularly at receiver. Hope Sage dominates the USFL and works his way back into NFL camp. If not, hope he has productive life outside of getting paid to play football.

Last edited:
Sage, Dortch and Newman all serve as examples of over estimating their value. All would have benefitted from playing an additional year or two at a developmental program like Wake Forest. Hinton maxed his eligibility and has a better NFL career to show for it. Clawson and staff have proven their ability to develop player talent beyond initial expectations. It's smart to give them enough time to do their job.

The same people who say that Sage would not have benefitted from another year at Wake are the same ones who say Dortch wouldn't have either. Dortch though finally caught on last year with the Cardinals, as a KR, something he wasn't exactly known for at Wake (his punt returns were better). Over the course of 3 season, Dortch went from the Jets to Panthers to Rams to Falcons to Cardinals. In 3 seasons he has appeared in 7 games, and still has not caught a pass, but at least has gotten paid.

It will be interesting to see if Sage eventually catches on somewhere as well, but I don't think he translates to special teams as well as Greg did.

Not to sound like a broken record, but we could legitimately have had a WR group of Perry, Roberson, Dortch and Sage last season.

Dortch was an All-American at punt returner. I think we all expected returner to be his clearest path to a roster spot.

Hopefully Clawson will record a video and Tweet it out, publicly shaming any teams that don't come to the WF pro day.

Wake Pro Day is on ACCNX (Watch ESPN) right now. Stan is hosting.

Clawson said there are 40 scouts there. Every NFL team is represented. He said in 2014, there were 4 scouts at pro day. I’m impressed so many scouts are there especially without any sure Day 1 or 2 picks.

Doing broad jump and 40 yard dash now.

Most of the draft eligible players are training at Wake and sticking around Spring practice. They didn't have the facilities for guys to stay to prepare for the draft and now they do.

Hartman will be throwing to the TE/WR in drills. Apparently, they recently changed the rule to allow underclass QBs to participate in Pro Day drills. They just clarified that it counts as a Spring practice day for Hartman.

They're interviewing Boogie now. Very cool that he came back for Pro Day.

Last edited:
Back