• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What Wake needs to do at Clemson

special teams play

the kicking game itself seems pretty solid now. two punts downed inside the 5 against Notre Dame was good stuff. The big "BUT" is we gave up way too many yards on the kickoff returns to Notre Dame, and failed to get much for ourselves on punt and kickoff returns. So would like to see us contain Clemson's return game while trying to get out to the 30 or 35 to help out of offense and limit the other team's starting field positions.

Clemson's strength is our strength. We are both fast teams. They are not like Notre Dame which was able to just get 3 yards at a time and kill the clock.

A) Wadtkins is the best player in the country but he is not big. We have speed as well. I would put Noel on him mano a mano.

B) Clemson's O-line sucks. Boyd gets it out quick primarily to Wadkins and Allen.

C) Clemson has great speed. IF they want to run it between the tackles that plays to us. Wilbur and our LBS have to get to the edge. We have fared pretty well at this during the year.

D) Allen is the best TE in the country and the most important match-up is Ehrman/Jackson/Mack etc vs. him. He has size and hands.

E) Clemson is not great on D. We have to protect the QB on the edges. UNC scored points but gave up two turnovers to their DE's. We cannot do this. Our tackles have to move their feet. If Godfrey/Weaver can get that initial stop Tanner can make some throws.

F) Playcalling/Coaching - Lobo has to do a good job. We have to mix it up and keep them off balance. They are nowhere near as good as FSU on defense.

G) Special Teams/Big plays - HUGE

This team is not as good as FSU. Remember that Manuel was out when they beat them. Noel vs. Wadkins is a must win for us. We have to keep their mojo from getting out of hand.

We have one chance in 7.

D) Allen is the best TE in the country and the most important match-up is Ehrman/Jackson/Mack etc vs. him. He has size and hands.

This will be hard to do as our staff does not admit TEs exist.

Wake will need to play a near perfect game. Ultimately, if we can force turnovers and hopefully Clemson isn't on top of their game....and we get a great game from our offense and defense...maybe we win...I just don't see it. Clemson is a tough place to play at yet alone get a win.

Clemson's strength is our strength. We are both fast teams. They are not like Notre Dame which was able to just get 3 yards at a time and kill the clock.

A) Wadtkins is the best player in the country but he is not big. We have speed as well. I would put Noel on him mano a mano.

B) Clemson's O-line sucks. Boyd gets it out quick primarily to Wadkins and Allen.
C) Clemson has great speed. IF they want to run it between the tackles that plays to us. Wilbur and our LBS have to get to the edge. We have fared pretty well at this during the year.

E) Clemson is not great on D. We have to protect the QB on the edges. UNC scored points but gave up two turnovers to their DE's. We cannot do this. Our tackles have to move their feet. If Godfrey/Weaver can get that initial stop Tanner can make some throws.

F) Playcalling/Coaching - Lobo has to do a good job. We have to mix it up and keep them off balance. They are nowhere near as good as FSU on defense.

G) Special Teams/Big plays - HUGE

This team is not as good as FSU. Remember that Manuel was out when they beat them. Noel vs. Wadkins is a must win for us. We have to keep their mojo from getting out of hand.

We have one chance in 7.

I doubt their O-line is as bad as our d-line.

Does anyone know if Givens will be able to play Saturday? If I understand correctly he is having hamstring issues....also!

We are being hamstrung by hamstrings...

That doesn't make sense either.

I was saying that both Clemson and Wake have been involved in "De facto" division title games before, as in the winner of that game will go to the ACC title game. Wake has won one of those on the road against Maryland, and Clemson has lost one at home against BC.

I hope our coaches have been studying the film of the GT-Clemson game 10 days ago. I was there and was amazed at how easily GT dominated Clemson on offense and defense. Wadkins had some good plays and seemed to be a constant threat, but overall was pretty much neutralized. The GT offense also ran at will. Clemson seemed almost helpless and couldn't stop them.
I know our personnel doesn't match up exactly with GT's, but we need to learn/copy from them as much as possible.

I'll throw something if we come out and try to run the triple option.

I'll throw something if we come out and try to run the triple option.

The triple option would be better than the single option we ran against ND, you know the option where everybody knows Tanner is going to pitch the ball as quickly as possible. :rulz:

Wake will need to play a near perfect game. Ultimately, if we can force turnovers and hopefully Clemson isn't on top of their game....and we get a great game from our offense and defense...maybe we win...I just don't see it. Clemson is a tough place to play at yet alone get a win.

If we play a "near perfect" game and we have a +2 or greater turnover margin and clemson has a run of the mill game we are going to win, it's plain and simple. Obviously those are big "ifs" but we are a damn good team when we play well. Clemson is good, but not good enough to beat us on the top of our game with a mediocre game themselves especially if win the turnover battle.
the trick is that it's going to be hard to have a near perfect game in pickens county.

Back