• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What was the greatest (unique) moment of your life?

AnonymousDeac

Reaction score
Not interested in weddings, births of children, etc.

Doesn't have to be something that is 100% unique to you but just trying to avoid the traditional answers.

Finally found a Time Warner Cable employee to tie up in my basement. I must have eaten PF Changs three meals a day for a week before I opened the flood gates.

giphy.gif

Being in Arena das Dunas when Dempsey scored vs. Ghana is probably my favorite moment if that counts. Having dreamed of attending a World Cup for 10+ years then after being drawn into the group of death/opening vs. Ghana who had knocked us out of the past 2 world cups and that goal happening 30 seconds in was awesome. I blacked out and don't really remember anything until after the 3rd minute.

Weirdest was probably seeing a guy I knew from Wallburg, NC at a random Walmart in Eagle River, Alaska or meeting a girl in a bar in Dublin that had a mutual best friend (were great friends now as well).

Oh, and I accidentally participated in and won a special olympics putt putt tournament in 1995 at the adventure landing (not named that at the time) in Winston. I guess that's actually the most unique now that I think about it.

From a sports standpoint, it was probably when Willie Idlette picked up the first down on the orbit sweep to clinch the ACC Championship Game. It was like that single moment cancelled memories of years and years of horrible football.

Oh, and I accidentally participated in and won a special olympics putt putt tournament in 1995 at the adventure landing (not named that at the time) in Winston. I guess that's actually the most unique now that I think about it.

Should we end the thread now?

sitting next to Joanna Krupa a few days into the Main Event of the WSOP, given at the time I had a picture of one woman on my computer and it was her.

I don't if I can do greatest/unique. Here are two fun stories. Both have to do with events my friend/mentor Ernie did the music contracting for. Each was backstage:

My friend Mike and I were getting some food at one of the early Dave Thomas', A Home for Holidays show about adoption. We were putting food on our plates when this tall blonde lady said, "Y'all are single, aren't you?"

We each said yes. She took our plates and told us to get some juice or a bottle of water and that would make plates for us. We really didn't pay any attention to looking at her then and went to sit at a table. A couple of minutes, she brings us plates with healthy stuff on it. As she got closer, we realized it was Faith Hill.

At a Phil Collins show at The Pond, I was in the lockerroom waiting for the guys after the show. A 75+yo black lady came over to me and said I looked hungry. I told her thanks, but I was OK. Next time I turned around, there two of largest plates of food I had ever seen and she was on her way over with a giant glass of Kool-Aid.

I was sitting there aghast at the amount of food when bassist Nathan East walks in and laughs. "I see you met my mom."

I was stunned and blurted out something like, "Man, I didn't know. I'm sorry."

He laughed again, "It's OK. I bet you told her you weren't hungry."

"I did."

He said, "Pick up the plates and follow me."

We went the hallway and stopped by a trash can. He smiled and said. "Keep a little on each plate. If either is empty. she'll get you more."

Certainly not the greatest moment of my life, nor a story I tell often, but it's something that popped into my head when reading some of these. I warn you in advance, it isn't all that exciting.

When I was in 6th grade, I was a pretty good student, but not the top student. Specifically, I was pretty good at math, but there was one other kid in the class that was pretty much a genius and our teacher treated him as such. I, on the other hand, was more rambunctious and definitely not one of the teacher's favorites.

We had to take a "Math Contest" quiz, which was supposedly given to all public school kids in NY state. 40 multiple choice questions of increasing difficulty. The last 10 or so were ridiculously hard. At any rate, I remember thinking that I did pretty well, but that there were at least 5-10 questions that were complete guesses. Weeks later, it comes out that I got 39 out of 40 correct, which was the highest score (by 2) in NY state. There was a big thing made of it at my school... Local newspaper article, an award ceremony, etc.

The funny thing, to me at least, was that the teacher took a great deal of pride in it, like he had something to do with it. And the rest of the year, he treated that other kid (a legit genius) like dogshit and always called on me for everything. It was so weird.

I've always been amused that it was probably the one time in my life that I guessed on that many things and they pretty much all hit. A freaking worthless 6th grade math contest. Why couldn't it have been like a 10 team parlay or something that would have actually won me some money?

Maybe you were a legit genius and you turned into a degenerate gambler.

I don't if I can do greatest/unique. Here are two fun stories. Both have to do with events my friend/mentor Ernie did the music contracting for. Each was backstage:

My friend Mike and I were getting some food at one of the early Dave Thomas', A Home for Holidays show about adoption. We were putting food on our plates when this tall blonde lady said, "Y'all are single, aren't you?"

We each said yes. She took our plates and told us to get some juice or a bottle of water and that would make plates for us. We really didn't pay any attention to looking at her then and went to sit at a table. A couple of minutes, she brings us plates with healthy stuff on it. As she got closer, we realized it was Faith Hill.

At a Phil Collins show at The Pond, I was in the lockerroom waiting for the guys after the show. A 75+yo black lady came over to me and said I looked hungry. I told her thanks, but I was OK. Next time I turned around, there two of largest plates of food I had ever seen and she was on her way over with a giant glass of Kool-Aid.

I was sitting there aghast at the amount of food when bassist Nathan East walks in and laughs. "I see you met my mom."

I was stunned and blurted out something like, "Man, I didn't know. I'm sorry."

He laughed again, "It's OK. I bet you told her you weren't hungry."

"I did."

He said, "Pick up the plates and follow me."

We went the hallway and stopped by a trash can. He smiled and said. "Keep a little on each plate. If either is empty. she'll get you more."

V70gQTq.png

A STORY ALREADY TOLD
https://www.ogboards.com/forums/sho...upport-Trump?p=2578518&viewfull=1#post2578518

Two come to mind:
1) Summer before starting at Wake, Puff Daddy and Jimmy Page were “tearing up the charts” with the single Come With Me, which featured a recreation of Kashmir.

I was bussing tables in a local hotel restaurant, which happened to have an agreeement with the large local amphitheater to have their musical acts stay at the hotel. One quiet morning, Robert Plant came in, as he was touring with Jimmy Page again that summer, and was having breakfast by himself and reading a paper. I decided to approach Mr. Plant, and ask for an autograph, which he obliged on the condition that I check on the status of his omelette.

As he was signing some hotel napkin, he asked me if I was coming to the show that night. Naturally I said yes, even though I wasn’t, not wanting to look bad. Turns out that he was giving people tickets if they didn’t have them, so I missed out on that. Rather than be honest and say no, I decided in the moment to be a total prick and say, “Yes, but is Puff Daddy going to be there?” He stopped, looked up at me, and said, “Oh god, not that bullshit.” 18 year old me totally agreed with the sentiment, but had no better line than, “Tell me about it,” but I am never left to doubt his opinion on Puff Daddy.

2) I had a photograph that I took selected as part of a curated museum exhibition a couple years ago. Seeing my name on a plaque on the wall, along with commentary from the curators was pretty cool.

1- Two chicks at same time(4 times). 2 before college, 1 in college, 1 after college

2-Spending some(brief)time with Arnold Palmer, a slew of NFL and NBA Deacs, every football and basketball coach since I've been alive, sans redacted.

3- blew a .36 BAC in college. Not proud of it but certainly unique

4- Been next to 2 loved ones as they took their last breaths. This is the most powerful and moving experience that has ever happened to me.

Last edited:
I'm 11 or 12 years old, at Dell Curry basketball camp at the JCC in Charlotte. We had been doing some three-on-three games out on a blacktop one day, and as we were walking back into the gym afterwards, we walked past the outdoor pool. It just so happened that three girls who I knew from school (including one I had a crush on) were at the pool and spotted me and yelled and waved hello. I was walking right behind Dell, who was carrying one of his sons on his shoulders (so I'm gonna say it was definitely Steph) saw the girls, turned around and looked at me and smiled and said "well alright man" or something to that effect

I won a year's supply of Arby's by hitting a layup, a free throw, and a 3 pointer before the shot clock expired during a promotion at the Kentucky/UGA men's basketball game in 1996. Larry Munson gave me a high five and told me I might be needed after the timeout.

Joe Namath once picked up my dinner check (and later my date). Brian Gottfried (tennis player) did something pretty similar.

I won a year's supply of Arby's by hitting a layup, a free throw, and a 3 pointer before the shot clock expired during a promotion at the Kentucky/UGA men's basketball game in 1996. Larry Munson gave me a high five and told me I might be needed after the timeout.

If you missed, would have gotten two year's at Arby's?

Back