• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What was the sentiment when we hired Skip?

I know you're the Reff and you say stupid and wrong shit all the time, but I think this deserves to be corrected. Skip clearly didn't intentionally select Levy to shoot the technical FTs. He certainly didn't "not let" CP3 or Taron shoot the FTs. Skip wasn't retarded. There was confusion because Levy had been fouled on the play and was also shooting FTs, and unfortunately he went to the line first thinking he was shooting his FTs from the personal foul, when in actuality he was accidentally shooting the technical FTs. It was a fuck-up, but one that arose from confusion, not from Skip being an idiot. Please feel free though to continue your status quo of posting dumb things.

Pos rep

Could have sworn Hicks was top 5. Either way, he was one of the more highly touted recruits coming out of high school during Odom's tenure.

Odom and Bz are similar in that they look kind of nerdy and didn't relate well to the student body, but that's pretty much where the comparison ends. As pointed out by others, Odom's floor (NIT team) appears to be Bz's ceiling.

Wake hired Skip in the aftermath of the Battier Dook team that won the title after beating Maryland in the worst officiated college basketball game I've ever seen. This was during the period that Battier was drawing charges during pregame warmups, and the clock operator was pulling some 1972 ish to let Dook back in late against Clemson (may not have been the same year, but it was clearly an ongoing problem). I remember questioning the sanity of anyone who would take a job in the same conference as Dook so long as the Conference was that far in the tank for them. I thought that there was no chance anyone would succeed 5 on 8. Four years later he had Wake #1 in the country. Thinking back on it, it is kind of eerie that the first time I met him was on the track at Wake. His death and Len Bias's death have to be the saddest things that have ever happened in the ACC.

Oklahoma State was the worst for me. I really thought we had a team good enough to win the national title.

When Duncan was raped by the Stanford front line, that was a pisser to. The OSU game turned my house into a riot zone with any object within reach being completely demolished. That team had all the right parts.

Odom is one of the all time great people skills coaches. He has friends all over the coaching community which is one big reason he has his gig as director of the Holiday tourney in some awesome place, I forget which. Buzz is one of the all time worst people skills coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could have sworn Hicks was top 5. Either way, he was one of the more highly touted recruits coming out of high school during Odom's tenure.

I don't think he was. He was highly touted among Wake people as the "first true PG" under Odom. He was a decent prospect in the Top 75 or so.

Odom was snake bitten in his recruiting more than a little. Joachim Blom, a big Swede (6-10, 240) with a reputation as a "viking warrior" didn't pass the NCAA clearinghouse twice! Because he took his algebra (required class) in eighth grade in Sweden, and the NCAA would not count any of his higher level math classes as "equivalent." The Stanford mugging would have been ineffective if Blom had been there to make Stanford pay for their tactics.

Likewise, the Shon Coleman non-qualifying debacle. That left a "non-class" when Odom thought he had the remaining parts to go with the Duncan/Childress etc. group.

How about the guy from Israel. Think he was a pilot. Was he an Odom recruit?

^^^
Iztach Cohen...Israeli fighter pilot and supposed big guy enforcer type. Would have been in the same class as Rodney Randolph and tree ( and me).

How about the guy from Israel. Think he was a pilot. Was he an Odom recruit?

^^^
Iztach Cohen...Israeli fighter pilot and supposed big guy enforcer type. Would have been in the same class as Rodney Randolph and tree ( and me).

I'll take what Wake got instead. Rodney Rogers qualified late and that was the open ship for him.

When Rodney qualified, Itzak suddenly decided to stay home and play in an Israeli pro league.

^^^

How tall was that guy? I thought there restrictions on fighter pilot height.

I remember him listed as 6 foot 8 ....I have no idea how he fit into a plane.

He was Israeli Air Force - not so sure about fighter pilot. Lots of places for AF officers besides a fighter jet pilots seat.

Back