• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What was the sentiment when we hired Skip?

Yep. Good coaches who have poor post-season records typically end up winning in the postseason. Gary Williams, Lute Olsen, etc. I'm pretty positive Skip would have done the same thing.

Agree with this completely. People overestimate coaching in the NCAAT and underestimate the randomness of single-elimination.

ODOM was much like Buzz in the sense of quirky, nerdy, not much of a recruiter. He got luck with Duncan and Childress. One major difference when Odom took over as opposed to Buzz. Were there were no expectations. I assume if Odom was hired after Skip, he also would have been run out of town.

This is a joke right? Odom recruited 4 of the best players in Wake forest History: Duncan, Rogers, Howard and Childress not to mention solid players like Songaila, Rutland and O'Kelly who be to die for recruits at this point. I can't believe you likened Odom to Bdelik. Odom gets little respect, but he was a good coach who had a couple of bad seasons, shitting on him is like shitting on Dino's culture: revisionist history.

We were all disappointed with the Butler embarrassment and many were questioning odom's future at Wake. I didn't know who Prosser was at the time, but I ran into Antwan Scott at the New Bern mall and he seemed really excited about the new coach so I got excited too.

The often over-looked bad luck loss in the NCAAT was the 2002 loss to Oregon. We were playing great in that game and if Dawson doesnt go down with a separated shoulder, we probably move into the Sweet 16 as a 7 seed taking on 6 seed Texas. I'm sure Kansas would have throttled us in the Elite 8, but 2002 was one of the only years I felt like we could over-achieve our seed in the tournament. That was a really good team, well-built at every position.

Regarding Odom and recruiting, the Loren Woods fiasco really messed up the post-Duncan teams. He was supposed to continue the run along with Bob O'Kelley. Woods being a psycho and O'Kelley's struggles his last 2 years really hurt the post-Duncan teams. The ABCDE class was the turning point though, and Skip walked into about the best possible situation as an incoming new coach. Much different than the mess our next coach will be inheriting.

I hindsight, can u imagine where we would be right now had Prosser broken out hearts and gone to Pittsburgh? Wellman could have gone to any coach he wanted and said you can come to wake and have an NCAA tourney ready team with Chris Paul as your point guard from the first day you accept the job. And at that time, most thought that Paul was staying for more than two years. I think I lot of really good coaches would have jumped at that chance and who knows what would have happened but I guarantee that it would not have led us to [Redacted] in 2014. We would have been crushed had Prosser left but........

I wouldn't be so quick to say we would not have [Redacted]. It's not like we have him now because no one else wanted the job. We have him because of our AD's arrogance.

odom's bad years are what [Redacted] has been striving for: being the last one not selected for the ncaa tourney.

The truth is the truth....but that's of no consequence.

IIRC, Skip opened his introductory press conference by saying "I don't know muck about the ACC but thanks to Ron Wellman I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night." A great line and a preview of things to come.

The often over-looked bad luck loss in the NCAAT was the 2002 loss to Oregon. We were playing great in that game and if Dawson doesnt go down with a separated shoulder, we probably move into the Sweet 16 as a 7 seed taking on 6 seed Texas. I'm sure Kansas would have throttled us in the Elite 8, but 2002 was one of the only years I felt like we could over-achieve our seed in the tournament. That was a really good team, well-built at every position.

Regarding Odom and recruiting, the Loren Woods fiasco really messed up the post-Duncan teams. He was supposed to continue the run along with Bob O'Kelley. Woods being a psycho and O'Kelley's struggles his last 2 years really hurt the post-Duncan teams. The ABCDE class was the turning point though, and Skip walked into about the best possible situation as an incoming new coach. Much different than the mess our next coach will be inheriting.

I watched that Oregon game with Darius Songaila's fiance. She said some very unkind things about Darius when he missed a short one towards the end of the game.

That was one of my favorite Wake teams.

The truth is the truth....but that's of no consequence.

Credibility, thy name is RJ.

I can't wait until a couple years from now when you've convinced yourself that you never supported Jeff [Redacted]. The search engine is not your friend.

I watched that Oregon game with Darius Songaila's fiance. She said some very unkind things about Darius when he missed a short one towards the end of the game.

That was one of my favorite Wake teams.

that chick partied. are they still together? she played tennis at wake I think, until she found her gold

we were at Freddie bs shortly after skip was hired and he came in with two assistants. It was like a Thursday at 1pm or something. We were hammered and gave him big cheers which he appreciated, very cordial. We did a "new basketball" chant. they wouldn't take a jäger for the Deacs! though, which was disappoint

that chick partied. are they still together? she played tennis at wake I think, until she found her gold

Got divorced about a year before Timmy and Amy.

I hindsight, can u imagine where we would be right now had Prosser broken out hearts and gone to Pittsburgh? Wellman could have gone to any coach he wanted and said you can come to wake and have an NCAA tourney ready team with Chris Paul as your point guard from the first day you accept the job. And at that time, most thought that Paul was staying for more than two years. I think I lot of really good coaches would have jumped at that chance and who knows what would have happened but I guarantee that it would not have led us to [Redacted] in 2014. We would have been crushed had Prosser left but........

Imagine if Wellman broke in Bzdick for CP3's sophomore year in this scenario... oh lord

Air Force didn't crush Wake until 2006. We would've been spared the Bzaster

Last edited:
PhDeac (who was known as "AdvancePlacementDiplomaDeac" back then) was pissed when we hired Prosser because he really wanted John Thompson.

I saw Jerry Wainwright who was here at UR soon after we hired Skip. He said, "You got a good one. A REALLY good one." His record spoke for itself. But the way he carried himself and was simply a loveable leader, who the players looked up to and would work for, was what made him. I remember his first game against UNCW where he tried to run his full court, full time press, and we just didn't have the personnel for it and were losing. He scrapped it and we came back and won on an out-of-bounds play to Ervin Murray, or maybe from Ervin Murray. If J-Ho hadn't been convinced to come back, that would have been a long season. I've never seen one guy carry a team like that. One of the all-time great seasons by a player in my book.

we were at Freddie bs shortly after skip was hired and he came in with two assistants. It was like a Thursday at 1pm or something. We were hammered and gave him big cheers which he appreciated, very cordial. We did a "new basketball" chant. they wouldn't take a jäger for the Deacs! though, which was disappoint

LOL. We were actually all sitting at a picnic table outside, and Skip, Dino and Battle were walking out from apparently having eaten lunch. El Chupe sees them and just starts pointing at them frantically and screaming "NEW BASKETBALL! NEW BASKETBALL!" We all then started clapping the fight song. Good times. Chris Mack did a Jaeger for the Deacs with us at Homecoming the next year.

Back