• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What was the sentiment when we hired Skip?

ODOM was much like Buzz in the sense of quirky, nerdy, not much of a recruiter. He got luck with Duncan and Childress. One major difference when Odom took over as opposed to Buzz. Were there were no expectations. I assume if Odom was hired after Skip, he also would have been run out of town.

??????? Dave Odom???? He coached 12 years at Wake Forest….1 year, 1 year he failed to make any postseason tournament. 1 year, 1 year, he had a losing record. Both occurred in his 1st year on campus….NEVER HAPPENED AGIAN during his entire tenure at WF.

If a goofy, balding, nerdy, skinny white dude waltzed on campus and had us into the 2nd round (or third rd these days) of the NCAA's in his 2nd year no one is running him out of anywhere. God forbid he actually pulled an Odom and the following 5 years all include tourney appearances including 2 sweet 16's and elite 8.

I have no idea what Odom and Bzdelick have in common at all.

LOL good post.

Whatever wavering there was dissipated quickly. Witty, funny, friendly, charismatic, and oh yeah- good recruiter and game winner. Was he John Wooden? No. Did he make [Redacted] look like a shit-shoveling mute? All day long.

What?

So, he recruited Rogers/Childress/Tree Owens who would average 18/10 in the current pathetic ACC and averaged 16/8 as a senior/Duncan/Songaila/Howard/Larue/Rutland who was becoming a STAR and shredding Steph Marbury the night he hurt his knee.

No injury - Rutland plays in the NBA. He almost made it after the knee injury. How many NBA dudes is that? 5? Skip recruited 2-3? Dino - 3?

ODOM was much like Buzz in the sense of quirky, nerdy, not much of a recruiter. He got luck with Duncan and Childress. One major difference when Odom took over as opposed to Buzz. Were there were no expectations. I assume if Odom was hired after Skip, he also would have been run out of town.

Like what would have happened had Skip not died.....I definitely believe Skip might have won a NC. He knew how to coach NBA talent and never had one as talented as we were two years later.

He would not have won one here. He could not win in the post season because his teams did not play defense and he could not game coach. He lost me when I witnessed his lack of game coaching from right behind our bench at the West Virginia debacl in the NCAA Tourney in 2005. Not letting CP3 or Taron shoot the technical foul shots and having Levy shoot them. Calling a play for Big E and having Ellis tap him on the should and tell him Big E was not in the game. Not knowing how to solve Bellein's second half defense. His last 2 teams finished 12th & 11th in the ACC. Dead last & tied for last. Skip played an exciting brand of basketball but he won early with GDO's players--Dawson, Scott, Josh Howard, Songalia & his recruits, Downey, Levy & Danelieus. Then he got one great one on his own--CP3 and built around him and when he left early we had nothing. But yet he hangs in the rafters and GDO & Bones do not and they won 4 ACC titles?

The sentiment was the polar fucking opposite of the current sentiment.

Not letting CP3 or Taron shoot the technical foul shots and having Levy shoot them.

I know you're the Reff and you say stupid and wrong shit all the time, but I think this deserves to be corrected. Skip clearly didn't intentionally select Levy to shoot the technical FTs. He certainly didn't "not let" CP3 or Taron shoot the FTs. Skip wasn't retarded. There was confusion because Levy had been fouled on the play and was also shooting FTs, and unfortunately he went to the line first thinking he was shooting his FTs from the personal foul, when in actuality he was accidentally shooting the technical FTs. It was a fuck-up, but one that arose from confusion, not from Skip being an idiot. Please feel free though to continue your status quo of posting dumb things.

A mix up at the 1:34 mark of the first half may have cost Wake valuable points. Demon Deacons forward Jamaal Levy was fouled by Fischer, and when West Virginia protested the call, a technical was assessed. Levy, a 52.5 percent free-throw shooter, took all four charity tosses and made just one of four. The Wake coaching staff intended for Downey to shoot the technical free throws.

"We had already told Taron, 'You shoot the technical fouls,'" Prosser explained. "We obviously didn't communicate that to the officials."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/scores105/105078/20050319NCAABWAKEFOREST0.htm

I know you're the Reff and you say stupid and wrong shit all the time, but I think this deserves to be corrected. Skip clearly didn't intentionally select Levy to shoot the technical FTs. He certainly didn't "not let" CP3 or Taron shoot the FTs. Skip wasn't retarded. There was confusion because Levy had been fouled on the play and was also shooting FTs, and unfortunately he went to the line first thinking he was shooting his FTs from the personal foul, when in actuality he was accidentally shooting the technical FTs. It was a fuck-up, but one that arose from confusion, not from Skip being an idiot. Please feel free though to continue your status quo of posting dumb things.

You have to remember REFF PMEd me on multiple occasions to say Skip to Cinci was a "done deal". He ranted and raved about it over and over.

Of course you have to remember, there were over 7 billion people in the world at that time and REFF was the only one Skip didn't like.

you also have to remember that you are a stupid fucking moron as well.

i'd like to get thereff and rj into the octagon where they can compare poor personal hygiene, perceived self-importance and tiny penises, with the loser getting fed to the hogs. winner too.

While the entire Pelphrey tide was going on, many chided me and told me I had no idea what I was talking about when I made Skip my 1/1a choice form Day One (the other person I listed was Rick Majerus, but I said he wouldn't take the job).

bullshit_everywhere-e1345505471862.jpeg

What?

So, he recruited Rogers/Childress/Tree Owens who would average 18/10 in the current pathetic ACC and averaged 16/8 as a senior/Duncan/Songaila/Howard/Larue/Rutland who was becoming a STAR and shredding Steph Marbury the night he hurt his knee.

No injury - Rutland plays in the NBA. He almost made it after the knee injury. How many NBA dudes is that? 5? Skip recruited 2-3? Dino - 3?

2-3? Skip recruited a HOF PG plus 3 lottery picks plus Ish.

No disrespect to Skip, he was a great recruiter too. I am just outraged that someone would liken Odom to [Redacted]. That is just some seriously stupid shit to say Odom's recruiting was in the same league with [Redacted]. Duncan, Childress, Rogers, Howard, Songalia, Larue, plus solid guys like Rutland, Dawson, O'Kelly. In high school Rutland was considered on par with Iverson, then tore his ACL. If Loren Woods wasn't such a whiney pussy and Rutland hadn't torn his ACL the post Duncan era would have been fine at Wake; we probably wouldn't have won a Natty, but it would have been fine. I hate this revisionist history of Odom's tenure as HC.

No disrespect to Skip, he was a great recruiter too. I am just outraged that someone would liken Odom to [Redacted]. That is just some seriously stupid shit to say Odom's recruiting was in the same league with [Redacted]. Duncan, Childress, Rogers, Howard, Songalia, Larue, plus solid guys like Rutland, Dawson, O'Kelly. In high school Rutland was considered on par with Iverson, then tore his ACL. If Loren Woods wasn't such a whiney pussy and Rutland hadn't torn his ACL the post Duncan era would have been fine at Wake; we probably wouldn't have won a Natty, but it would have been fine. I hate this revisionist history of Odom's tenure as HC.

Hicks was a top 5 PG coming out of high school. Odom had some good luck in recruiting and some really bad luck too (Rutland, Woods, Mahktar, you could argue O'Kelley, maybe Hicks). He also made a few recruiting decision that made you scratch your head (AW, Shoetz, McMillan).

I think Hicks was more like at Top 15-20 PG. That's still good, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't Top 5.

I think Hicks was more like at Top 15-20 PG. That's still good, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't Top 5.

He was RSCI #57 and Teague, similarly ranked, was the nation's #8 (Scout), #9 (Rivals), or #13 (ESPN) point guard. It ultimately depends on how deep the class was, but 5-10 is more likely than top-5, IMO.

I loved Hicks, but NOT Top 5. Can still hear GDO yelling when he wanted him to do something, " Brod, Brod, Brod"!!!! No complaints about Broderick Hicks at all.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Back