• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What will Republicans choose

What will they choose?

• Vote to defund Obamacare

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • Avoid a shutdown

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They're going to (or at least appear to) try like the dickens to do both. In the end they'll most likely just shoot themselves in the foot.

They're going to (or at least appear to) try like the dickens to do both. In the end they'll most likely just shoot themselves in the foot.

Obama will blink and they know it.

Votes aren't there for defunding in the Senate, but the House wants to defund. Boehner loses his Speakership if he blows off the Tea Party.

On Obamacare? No. Obama has the upper hand here.

Obamacare is not getting defunded. That is a distraction. And Obama has had the upper hand several other times and folded before the flop. This is not an opinion that is reality. For better or worse it is a reality that Republicans have bullied him around the past 2 years.

I expect more of the same. Especially with Obama reeling in the polls from the Syria debacle.

I think if the Pubs could actually defund or otherwise overturn Obamacare they'd pay a tremendous political price in the end. For all the posturing the leadership has to do for the nutjobs I think they probably understand this.

If they don't like "Obamacare" they should amend the law to their liking...not pretend to want to destroy it. But they have to offer something arguably better. Something that offers better actual reformation of our mucked up healthcare system.

I think if the Pubs could actually defund or otherwise overturn Obamacare they'd pay a tremendous political price in the end. For all the posturing the leadership has to do for the nutjobs I think they probably understand this.

If they don't like "Obamacare" they should amend the law to their liking...not pretend to want to destroy it. But they have to offer something arguably better. Something that offers better actual reformation of our mucked up healthcare system.

It's easier just to vote to defund it than make it better.

It's easier just to vote to defund it than make it better.

And that in a nutshell is the Republicans' biggest problem. Obamacare sucks. Even Democrats know it. But all the Pubs want to do is play games and give lip service to defunding or repealing it. They would be much more credible if they were to propose a better solution. Although it's probably to late now for that.

Pubs want to ride Obamacare into a 3 piece majority at which time they could defund it. The don't want to amend it they want to use it for political pressure that they believe will turn votes their way. I don't know if but will work but that is the plan and the worse Obamacare performs the better for pubs. Turns out it was a pretty crappy law so their main job is to not save it from itself.

They clearly need to be focusing on ending the scourge that is "gay rights" and continuing the war on women. Yeah, there's irony in there somewhere.

As is usually the case with Republicans, they will want both. Thanks to its Tea Party Overlords, compromise has become a dirty word in the Republicans Party. The problem is that they can't have both. If they add defunding ACA to a bill to keep the government running, the Senate will simply strip that part out of the bill and send it back to them....unless the Senate Republicans decide to block everything there first. In either case, the Republicans only have one option in the end: Pass a clean bill to keep the government running or be blamed for shutting it down.

eDrRvm6.png

Pubs are deathly afraid people will like ACA once it's implemented. Once that happens people will start asking what the Pubs were doing for the past five years.

And that in a nutshell is the Republicans' biggest problem. Obamacare sucks. Even Democrats know it. But all the Pubs want to do is play games and give lip service to defunding or repealing it. They would be much more credible if they were to propose a better solution. Although it's probably to late now for that.

Lolz

Pubs want to ride Obamacare into a 3 piece majority at which time they could defund it. The don't want to amend it they want to use it for political pressure that they believe will turn votes their way. I don't know if but will work but that is the plan and the worse Obamacare performs the better for pubs. Turns out it was a pretty crappy law so their main job is to not save it from itself.

It seems like there's some truth to this. Pubs are desperate to win and in order to do so will lie and distort and fear monger. Obamacare is the greatest scourge imaginable and must be defeated or else...I mean for crying out lout it's OBAMAcare!!!! It's GOVERNMENT (that evil) DOING something (which is of course always bad unless it involves putting people in jail or bombing people somewhere).

Jesus. We've enough real troubles that are in need of solutions. Work on that shit please and maybe more people will take you seriously and even vote for you.

Pubs are deathly afraid people will like ACA once it's implemented. Once that happens people will start asking what the Pubs were doing for the past five years.

When will that be? How many more times is the law's author going to delay its implementation (hint: how many times have YOU done that to a great idea in your life?)?

It seems like there's some truth to this. Pubs are desperate to win and in order to do so will lie and distort and fear monger. Obamacare is the greatest scourge imaginable and must be defeated or else...I mean for crying out lout it's OBAMAcare!!!! It's GOVERNMENT (that evil) DOING something (which is of course always bad unless it involves putting people in jail or bombing people somewhere).

Jesus. We've enough real troubles that are in need of solutions. Work on that shit please and maybe more people will take you seriously and even vote for you.

Don't act as though that that is a Republican problem. Both sides lie and distort and fear monger. It is how politics is done.

In addition, I think that there are a lot of Republicans that feel that eliminating Obamacare is an honorable goal. It might take scoring political points to get there, but I think there is a good percentage that feel it honestly needs to be completely eliminated not amended. Therefore if they have to score political points in order to have the opportunity to do what they feel is best for the country then they are going to do it.

You act as though the best thing for this country is to amend Obamacare...it might not be. It certainly is within the realm of possibilities that repealing / defunding is completely the best thing that could happen with regards to healthcare in this country.

Last edited:
I think someone is taking themselves a little too seriously.

Back