• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What will Republicans choose

What will they choose?

• Vote to defund Obamacare

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • Avoid a shutdown

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The fact that Obamacare needs to be amended proves that all of us were right that it was passed far too quickly, without any real oversight, and is a piece of shit. Therefore anyone who voted for Obama in 2012 and therefore wanted this fucking terribly written bill to go through has no right to talk about it to me.

YOU'VE YOU LOST ALL THE MORAL HIGH GROUND ON THIS ISSUE AND YOU OPINION MEANS NOTHING !!!!$*!*$!!#$@!

Now I'm going to go somewhere and try not to stroke out. Because I'm old and useless and life has passed me by.

Oh, I've no doubt that many who oppose Obamacare do so with great earnestness. As I said, Obamacare is (it seems) the greatest scourge imaginable and must be defeated or else...I mean for crying out lout it's OBAMAcare!!!! It's GOVERNMENT (that evil) DOING something (which is of course always bad unless it involves putting people in jail or bombing people somewhere).

Anyhow, I don't think I said it needed amending. But it's a huge piece of legislation and surely it can be made better over time. As would need be any piece of legislation designed to reform something as massive and messed up as our health care system.

Oh, I've no doubt that many who oppose Obamacare do so with great earnestness. As I said, Obamacare is (it seems) the greatest scourge imaginable and must be defeated or else...I mean for crying out lout it's OBAMAcare!!!! It's GOVERNMENT (that evil) DOING something (which is of course always bad unless it involves putting people in jail or bombing people somewhere).

Anyhow, I don't think I said it needed amending. But it's a huge piece of legislation and surely it can be made better over time. As would need be any piece of legislation designed to reform something as massive and messed up as our health care system.

This is such a narrow view. If the republicans passed a bill that banned abortions you wouldn't try to make it better you would try to overturn it.

I understand that the large majority of the people on this board can't fathom how someone would genuinely believe that we were better before Obamacare than with it but some people believe that. And it isn't crazy. My personal view is that neither are desirable but I am not condemn one side as idiots when both sides are wrong. We don't need Obamacare we don't need what we had previously. We need universal and Obamacare completely misses that.

I don't condemn those who think Obamacare is the best thing sliced bread. I certainly disagree with RJ but unlike him I am not going to assign motives to his political position on Obamacare. I honestly feel he thinks it is what is best. I don't. Republicans don't (with a much proposed outcome than me). You act as though someone with a different desired outcome is merely acting like a child because they are preventing the outcome you want. It is silly.

Hmmm....while you seem to imagine that you understand me so well, I admit you're not making a lot of sense to me.

Sorry to offend, but the Tea Party influenced Pubs are indeed acting the part of the petulant child. In many ways. That's not a "narrow" view, IMO. It's an unfortunate reality. And one that serves not our collective well being (again, IMO). So I dutifully chide them. Oh, they have every right to their views and efforts. And I've said nothing to suggest there aren't many in the base who are quite sincere in their beliefs, however absurd. I grant the assumption most are well intended.

And I would say that both sides act like children on a consistent basis. Whenever they don't get what they want all hell breaks loose. Kind of like this message board.

And I would say that both sides act like children on a consistent basis. Whenever they don't get what they want all hell breaks loose. Kind of like this message board.

You have to admit that the TP is on a whole different level.

Wrongor does it again. I have NEVER seen a SINGLE person say this "I don't condemn those who think Obamacare is the best thing sliced bread."- I've never seen anyone come close to saying this.

Once again he makes things up out of thin air to INVENT strawman positions that don't exist.

Someone please copy this.

Or ask Wrongor why he makes things up that aren't true on such a regular basis.

Thanks.

By the way, house Republicans have already made the decision. They are voting to defund Obamacare.

By the way, house Republicans have already made the decision. They are voting to defund Obamacare.

Now the real question is - What will happen when the Senate passes them back a clean bill? Do we shutdown for a couple hours? A day?

Better question is what happens to Ted Cruz? He's whipped up a frenzy among conservatives to defund Obamacare but he just now figured out the votes aren't there in the Senate?!? Lots of luck with that.

You have to admit that the TP is on a whole different level.

I'm not at all sure Wrangor can see or will admit this. But I think it's true. It's dumb-as-nails but passionate TP types that drove me from the Republican Party. And who seem on track to unwittingly make conservatism synonymous with Fantasyland and lunacy.

Wrongor does it again. I have NEVER seen a SINGLE person say this "I don't condemn those who think Obamacare is the best thing sliced bread."- I've never seen anyone come close to saying this.

Once again he makes things up out of thin air to INVENT strawman positions that don't exist.

Someone please copy this.

Or ask Wrongor why he makes things up that aren't true on such a regular basis.

Thanks.

Yea, I just let that slide. Haven't met the person yet who thinks or says this. Besides, I buy bread unsliced so...

I'm not at all sure Wrangor can see or will admit this. But I think it's true. It's dumb-as-nails but passionate TP types that drove me from the Republican Party. And who seem on track to unwittingly make conservatism synonymous with Fantasyland and lunacy.

I'll admit TP is farther down the scale. But there is plenty of room In the sliding scale for a large portion of Dems before they reach the "fully grown adult" marker.

I am not a TP fan either and have made that very clear.

From FoxNews: 'Just Say No' is road to nowhere for Republicans

Quote:
----------
...Many in Washington seem to have focused on refining their pitch to the base, while neglecting the voters in the middle necessary for majority support. “Repeal ObamaCare now” or “No more debt ceiling increases” makes a good bumper sticker or tweet, but it is not a viable legislative strategy for Republicans in Congress.

The GOP would be better off by taking a page out of the Bill Clinton triangulation playbook.

On health care, pursuing a solutions-based approach that focuses legislative efforts on limiting the negative aspects of ObamaCare while finding partners on the other side of the aisle to make common sense cost reducing improvements to the legislation, the GOP can simultaneously burnish its legislative credentials and work to fix a law they view as broken.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor tried this approach once and was rejected by the conference and outside conservative groups, leading to a host of bad press for Republicans. They shouldn’t make that mistake twice.

Finding a clutch of Democrats that would be willing to listen to ways to alter the law to increase incentives to consumers who make better health care decisions that could significantly reduce the cost of care, for example, is much easer than finding Democrats who want to repeal ObamaCare. But interested Republicans will have to look for them and reach out first.

That approach could actually lead to a law, which is what legislators are paid to produce, unlike the repeal movement, which just produces rhetoric. It would also advance conservatives’ policy objectives: more incentives for wise choices and less cost to the government...

...Ultimately any deal that avoids a fiscal calamity is a win for both sides. Yes, it’s pretty sad that merely avoiding disaster is seen as a success, but if you want to get out of a hole you first have to stop digging.

If Democrats and Republicans can show the American people that this time they managed to engage in a debate and emerge with consensus without pushing the nation to the brink of disaster it can serve as an example of how to make our democracy work, something that has been conspicuously absent from Washington for a long time.
----------

'mericans are dumb, but most will see through that ruse.

No, Pubs in the House will be most blamed. Or credited, if you're a government and Obamacare hater.

Back