• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What will Republicans choose

What will they choose?

• Vote to defund Obamacare

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • Avoid a shutdown

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Because if the government shuts down, Obama gets blamed for it as the man in charge.

As usual yo uare wrong:

"According to the poll, if a government shutdown lasted only a few days, 11% of Americans think that would cause a crisis and another 38% forecast major problems. But if a shutdown lasted a few weeks, the number who think the country would face a crisis rises from 11% to 31%, and the number who believe major problems would result increases a bit to 43%.

So whom would Americans blame if the government shutdown?

"Only a third would consider President Barack Obama responsible for a shutdown, with 51% pointing a finger at the GOP - up from 40% who felt that way earlier this year," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland."

Tp is banking on public sentiment going against Obamacare so much that they will side with them during the shutdown.

I don't think the country is there yet to be honest. I think you would actually have to implement it and then have it fall on its face to really rule up the electorate to a point they would accept a shutdown in exchange for defunding Obamacare.

It is a risky play in my opinion and one that I don't think will work in republican favor if it plays all the way out. They are banking on Obama folding. Will be interesting to see what happens. Obama isn't going to defund his own healthcare bill but he might placate to pubs with something else. I would guess that is their short term goal.

Long term they are trying to make sure that Obamacare is tied around the democrats neck so that if it fails they go down with it. Of course if it succeeds the democrats will get all of the credit. I think that plays very much in pubs favor.

It's hard for anything to succeed if half the country is committed to making sure it fails.

And not even a year ago, Americans had the chance to vote out Obamacare. They didn't.

It's hard for anything to succeed if half the country is committed to making sure it fails.

And not even a year ago, Americans had the chance to vote out Obamacare. They didn't.

I guess that justifies bush increasing the war efforts in Iraq. He was elected to a second term. Everyone aboard!

Just because you are re elected does not mean the country is 100% on board with your efforts.

#bkfstrokesout

Not sure of your point except to take a shot at bkf. A majority of Americans supported the Iraq War in 2004.

Not sure of your point except to take a shot at bkf. A majority of Americans supported the Iraq War in 2004.

And a majority of Americans have an unfavorable view of Obamacare. You make my point for me.

Point to bkf.

Pick up your game, Wrangor.

Let me get this straight: if bkf is correct, then the public support (and opposition to) Obamacare is based on propaganda? Under the circumstances, the public would be well-advised to be skeptical, especially with the amounts of money involved. And if Ph is correct, the Dems think this is a winning situation? Wow!

Point to bkf.

Pick up your game, Wrangor.

Haha. Yes in the face of evidence we disregard it. If the polls don't tell you what you want them disregard them. It seemed to work last election for the republicans.

PH and BKF. That is a scary horse to ride PH. Watch yourself.

Obama would have lost if people hated Obamacare so much.

And people like aspects of it just not it. That's a sign of propaganda issues.

Let me get this straight: if bkf is correct, then the public support (and opposition to) Obamacare is based on propaganda? Under the circumstances, the public would be well-advised to be skeptical, especially with the amounts of money involved. And if Ph is correct, the Dems think this is a winning situation? Wow!

Obama screwed up big time while passing ACA. He allowed the RW propaganda to go unchallenged until it had set in. The BS lies about "death panels" are a prime example. The BS lies that costs would double when the CBO put out legitimate studies showing this wouldn't happen (in fact in every state that has published rates {from AL to NY to CA, MT, MD sand others} rates are lower).

The lying scare tactics from the right went basically unchallenged until they became "truths" to the right and even some in the center. What's most pathetic about this is that ACA is semi-watered down version of American Enterprise Institute/Bob Dole Bill of the 90s. For all intents and purposes it's a Republican bill.

What the GOP opposes in this is that Obama did it. Their entire strategy from BEFORE he took the Oath of Office was to destroy his presidency.

Obama would have lost if people hated Obamacare so much.

And people like aspects of it just not it. That's a sign of propaganda issues.

Gonna disagree. President won despite his health care plan.

I wonder when the GOP or even the media starts the Obamacare is one step away from universal health care a/k/a single payer or socialized healthcare.

Doing nothing would have been a much quicker step to single payer. The unabated and unchecked insurance industry's madness would have driven us to single payer during Hillary's presidency and she would have gotten it passed.

Doing nothing would have been a much quicker step to single payer. The unabated and unchecked insurance industry's madness would have driven us to single payer during Hillary's presidency and she would have gotten it passed.

I don't understand what you are saying here?

Last edited:
"“It only takes one with passion — look at Rosa Parks, Lech Walesa, Martin Luther King,” said Representative Ted Yoho of Florida, one of the rank-and-file House Republicans who have risen up to challenge their party’s leadership over whether to confront the Senate and President Obama with their demands to cut off funding for the president’s health care law. “People with passion that speak up, they’ll have people follow them because they believe the same way, and smart leadership listens to that.”"

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/u...nding-up-to-boehner.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Rates were going up much more without ACA. Millions more would have been priced out of the market. As more seniors had to choose between food and prescriptions, single payer would look much better. As more families lost their all their sayings and their homes due to runaway medical costs and went bankrupts (for most of the past 30 years medical expenses have been the #1 reason in the US for personal/family bnaruptcies), single payer would have looked much better. As more people changed jobs and lost insurance due to pre-existing conditions, single payer would have looked better.

With all those and more happening, Hillary would have absolutely taken single payer to the public and she would have won the vote very easily.

Gonna disagree. President won despite his health care plan.

I wonder when the GOP or even the media starts the Obamacare is one step away from universal health care a/k/a single payer or socialized healthcare.

Heard an NPR story about how employers will use Obamacare to separate health care from employment by using vouchers for employees to use the exchanges instead of providing health care plans.

Heard another BBC story about health care. Always funny to hear the Brits explain our "system".

Back