• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's the story behind your avatar

I don't even remember why I chose this avatar. I've had it since I joined the boards. I should probably change it.

This guy is the "Jolly Fisherman", the mascot of Skegness.
Skegness is a really crappy seaside town in Lincolnshire, England that we would go to whenever we visited my grandparents.
jolly-james.jpg

You do realize that Rico Suave was the name of the song, not the artist, right?

Hadn't thought of a good avatar. Don't really care. I'll take suggestions.

Yes, but the avatar is a pic of Gerardo.

Tardawg wanted a dawg and who better than my ugly adopted daughter. She is da bomb, long tongue and all.

it's from a time when the quad had big lovely trees and they were rolled. Some version of this has been my avatar for all my time on the boards.

Best SNL character of all time.

I think you misunderstood the question, would you eat the moon if it were made out of barbeque spare ribs?

Its a simple question, WFUtoUSC, just answer yes and we'll move on

This thread gets recycled every now and again, but the responses are always fascinating. Great thread!

Colonel John S. Mosby was, like me, an attorney and not a very tall guy (I'm 5'7" and he was 5'6"). He was (not necessarily like me) also a bad m'fer. He was expelled from the University of Virginia after shooting a bully and was sentenced to one year in prison. He was eventually pardoned and released. His prosecutor liked and respected him so much that he invited Mosby to study law under him (prior to the days of law school). Although he opposed secession, he enlisted in the 1st Virginia Cavalry as a private and soon became a highly respected scout for JEB Stuart. Eventually he was given the mission to form a unit of Partisan Rangers. He spent the last 2 years of the Civil War wreaking havoc in Northern Virginia against occupying Union troops, surviving 3 serious wounds, and essentially became Public Enemy #1 from the Union perspective. He was the last significant Confederate officer to surrender.

Despite having fought for the Confederacy and being a dogged enemy, Mosby became a Republican after the war and also became very good friends with Ulysses S. Grant and compaigned for Grant for President in Virginia. This earned him the enmity of many Southerners who had idolized him as a hero during the war. He served as the U.S. Consul to Hong Kong during the Grant administration (and worked tirelessly to eliminate rampant corruption in that office), and also held government posts during the Rutherford Hayes, William McKinley (both Union officers during the war) and Teddy Roosevelt administrations.

Just someone I find extremely interesting.

Last edited:
It's the ironwork on the porch railing of a building on the campus of a small college somewhere you've never heard of.

Back