• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

When is the next time we win a game?

Yeah, I do actually think we are a tad more talented than GT, but we're both bad teams. Wake, BC and the Techs are still the basement of the ACC. That said, the difference between the 2 teams is Gregory more consistently gets his team to play D and play with some intensity. I didn't think that much of the Gregory hire, but his teams have always been pretty solid defensively. Whereas the hallmark of Buzzdick's teams is that they are last in their conference at FG% D. Yesterday was a prime example of both. So yeah, you'll prolly end up with a slightly better record, and I think that'll be because Gregory will get more out of his players than Buzzdick.

Well, I don't know how you're measuring talent - outside of Harris, I'm not sure there's another Wake player who'd start for GT right now (I'd take Marcus Georges-Hunt over whatever trainwreck McKie has turned into at this point in his career under Bz - MGH actually defends people). GT's roster certainly boat races Wake's in term of recruiting rankings coming out of high school (hell, Julian Royal was a top 100 recruit and he basically never plays). I don't think very highly of Gregory at all, but he certainly has a bunch of bodies to work with.

KenPom has GT as a 56% chance to win in W-S. That seems about right. GT isn't a great team, but it's substantially above the Wake / BC level of horrific suckitude.

Another thing you gotta factor in is teams don't give consistently the same effort for 30+ games per season. Our team reminds me of Leitao's last UVA team. That team was so bad and there was such little energy in the building that you could tell other teams weren't into the games either. When you're bad, you tend not to get your opponents' best efforts. UVA and State would probably say their losses to us were their worst performances of the year. And in that State game, I think they got lulled into a false sense of security with that early lead, and when foul trouble hit, they lost any momentum they had (and they also played horrible defense). Contrast those 2 games with GT yesterday. GT hadn't won an ACC game yet and they played as though they had that game circled on their calendar. And we clearly weren't ready for that kind of effort.

That's why we should win another 3-4. We should handle the inferior Techs at home and also catch a MD and or FSU napping. Can you say extension?

Bingo

ACC wins since the beginning of the 2011-2012 season:

Wake 7
BC & GT 5

Yes, GT has clearly separated itself from BC and Wake in its play.

It's one game. Didn't you lose at home to VT?

Georgia Tech is better than Wake. There's not really any question about that. We could play anywhere: Atlanta, Winston-Salem, Reynolds Gym, or the moon, and Georgia Tech is still better than us. We would beat them a few times but they would win the majority of the games.

Won't really mean much if they finish last in the ACC.

They have played a generally tough schedule, but they also have had their two most favorable games in conference and only managed to split those two games. And they haven't exactly been road warriors either.

Last edited:
Do we play Northern Illinois?

"Northern Illinois scored 4 points in 1st half, shot-clock era record. Previous low was 5 points by ... Northern Illinois earlier this season"

Georgia Tech is better than Wake. There's not really any question about that. We could play anywhere: Atlanta, Winston-Salem, Reynolds Gym, or the moon, and Georgia Tech is still better than us. We would beat them a few times but they would win the majority of the games.

I agree with the overall point, but the game in Winston is basically a toss-up. KenPom's article on scoring margin addresses this very situation:

"it takes a 15-point home win to get a team to the point where you’d expect them to win the road. Is home-court advantage that strong? No, it’s not. Keep in mind this method is going to use conference games almost exclusively and in most situations conference foes are somewhat equally matched. Cases of a team winning (or losing) by 20 or more points are often cases where the winning (or losing) team has overachieved (or underachieved). They weren’t truly 20 points than their opponent to begin with, and this is manifested in the fact that the return game results, on average, in a small win."

ACC wins since the beginning of the 2011-2012 season:

Wake 7
BC & GT 5

Yes, GT has clearly separated itself from BC and Wake in its play.

It's one game. Didn't you lose at home to VT?

Exactly. Given the historical records of GT and BC, the fact that Coach [Redacted] is outperforming them is remarkable. The fact that we're winning games in the ACC is amazing.

People are saying Md is a bad match jus because of Len (with good reason). But at the worst they are a VERY bad basketball team. We definitely could beat them (or lose by 30 ).

You can say the same about nearly every game we play. We are the most unpredictable team I've ever followed. When everyone gives full effort, we can play even with teams like State and UConn. I wouldn't be overly surprised if we beat a Kelly-less Duke team on Wednesday. But we give such inconsistent effort that I wouldn't be surprised to lose by 30 at home against VT. If you can't see it happening, you didn't watch yesterday. The talent of our opponent almost doesn't matter. The only question is how much effort we give. It's so strange; I've never seen a team shut down as we did in the first half against Iona and Tech (both following great efforts).

I'll take our players and you take GT and I'll beat your brains out. That is the talent we have on our team that is being wasted.

Run a 1-3-1 half court trap and fall into a 3-2 match up zone and let GT figure that shit out.

Well, I don't know how you're measuring talent - outside of Harris, I'm not sure there's another Wake player who'd start for GT right now (I'd take Marcus Georges-Hunt over whatever trainwreck McKie has turned into at this point in his career under Bz - MGH actually defends people). GT's roster certainly boat races Wake's in term of recruiting rankings coming out of high school (hell, Julian Royal was a top 100 recruit and he basically never plays). I don't think very highly of Gregory at all, but he certainly has a bunch of bodies to work with.

KenPom has GT as a 56% chance to win in W-S. That seems about right. GT isn't a great team, but it's substantially above the Wake / BC level of horrific suckitude.

I agree this GT team is better than this Wake team, mostly because you guys actually play on the defensive end of the court. But I don't think you're more talented, though granted, I've only seen parts of a few of your games. I'd take Harris and McKie over anyone for GT in terms of talent. I recognize McKie isn't close to maximizing his talent, and I attribute that to Buzzdick not getting through to him. Add in our 6 frosh, and yeah, I think our collection of talent overall is just a bit better than yours. So if you had 2 identical Brian Gregorys coaching Wake and GT, I think we'd be a little better.

Back