• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

When Should I worry that my daughter is not talking.

Didn't he fail math? What a loser.

Urban legend. When asked about it making the rounds in an interview Einstein said he never failed any classes and was doing advanced math as a small child.

I have a twin sister and when we were younger my parents were concerned because she talked too much and I essentially let her talk for me. Consider telling her brother to shut up?

Are there really that many pricks here for all the tags about my 2yo daughter? Nice people.

I'm sure everything will be fine. My two year old is behind the pace of his older brother, but he's much more mechanically inclined. I've noticed my two developed different skills at different times. I'd be patient, as hard as that is to do.

In other news, I apologize on behalf of the idiots who make insensitive comments/tags. Although your daughter's situation will certainly work out, this is still no place for comments like those.

Urban legend. When asked about it making the rounds in an interview Einstein said he never failed any classes and was doing advanced math as a small child.

I have a twin sister and when we were younger my parents were concerned because she talked too much and I essentially let her talk for me. Consider telling her brother to shut up?

He finished 4th in his grad school class of 5. The 5th being his future wife.

kids develop at their own pace. I can't think of how many things I have worried about that were no big deal in retrospect.

yea I am hoping it is not big deal. I don't want to worry about her. I don't want to do speech therapy we tried they did nothing but play with her for two months. But I don't want her to turn 3 and we take her to pre k3 program and she is still not talking.

My daughter also wasn't speaking much around 2, just some babbling and some one or two word phrases. We had her tested for developmental problems, and while she was behind significantly on her verbal skills, she was on pace with her understanding and physical skills. They suggested that it was too early for her to go into any type of speech therapy. They gave us some suggestions of things to work on with her at home and to encourage her to respond verbally before we would make assumptions about what she wanted (as was suggested earlier). About six months later, she got going and hasn't stopped since. Do right by your daughter, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth either. There are many days I wish she would not talk quite so much.

Also, I understand that people like to give you shit on the boards, and sometimes rightly so, but this thread is not the place for that.

thanks I know how that goes my son has to scream everything at the top of his lungs and has not stopped since 1.

My daughter will not talk outside of maybe 5-8 words. She just turned 2 December 1 so I am not as concerned about it yet. My son was talking, knew how to count, and knew his abc's by 1. Me and my wife are debating giving her till she turns three before we consult for speech therapy. Anyone have any experience with this?

Exact same situation as my little cousins. The parents took the younger boy to see a speech therapist and he advised them to make him use an electric toothbrush to stimulate his mouth. I think it depends on the reason for the lack of speech.

I didn't talk much as kid, didn't become more outgoing until much later. My parents worried that I didn't talk enough. Only advice I can really offer is give it time.

My first kid will be here in about 7 months, so I have no experience to speak from other than what I know about my own development.

My pediatrician said they will talk when they are ready. My son was way behind in his speech right around his second birthday, but we are 3 months later and he has a ridiculous vocabulary all of the sudden and won't stop talking. The grandparents wanted to take him to see people, but we held off since he was ahead in a lot of the other skills they look for. The pediatrician said talking and speech is the same as building a muscle and it takes time to develop and figure it out, but when they do, it goes fast.

The only worry from me was the whole autism thing, but if your kid is outgoing and not showing any other signs beyond delayed speech, apparently it isn't a big deal.

She is not very outgoing she is very independant. She knows how to clean up after herself throws her diapers away

Ricky didn't talk until he was like 10 or something, and went on to become a legend in his own time. the fiesta fox. So I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Ricky didn't talk until he was like 10 or something, and went on to become a legend in his own time. the fiesta fox. So I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Well, we know who isn't Harv.

What kind of crazy world are we living in when a female that doesn't talk is a problem?

Speech pathologist here, feel free to PM me if you have more questions. Since she has some words and just turned 2 it is not a major concern, the concern would be if she is not using a lot of gestures (pointing to things she wants, waving to say hi) and showing understanding of your gestures. Those types of things would be more concerning because they are signs of autism.

I'm in California so I don't know the NC systems but there should be a birth to 3 resource for you, here we call them regional centers that you can contact and they will listen to your concerns and if necessary do speech assessments and psych if necessary (for free). Many pediatricians don't know much about language development so if you can get an assessment without waiting for a referral that would be good. For a two year old, speech therapy would mostly consist of the therapist teaching you techniques. I have some good documents at work I can send you that detail some techniques to use in parent friendly language. So PM me your email address if you want.

Exact same situation as my little cousins. The parents took the younger boy to see a speech therapist and he advised them to make him use an electric toothbrush to stimulate his mouth. I think it depends on the reason for the lack of speech.

Holy shit, worst advice evarrrrrrrrrrr. I hope this was 20 years ago or more.

Speech pathologist here, feel free to PM me if you have more questions. Since she has some words and just turned 2 it is not a major concern, the concern would be if she is not using a lot of gestures (pointing to things she wants, waving to say hi) and showing understanding of your gestures. Those types of things would be more concerning because they are signs of autism.

I'm in California so I don't know the NC systems but there should be a birth to 3 resource for you, here we call them regional centers that you can contact and they will listen to your concerns and if necessary do speech assessments and psych if necessary (for free). Many pediatricians don't know much about language development so if you can get an assessment without waiting for a referral that would be good. For a two year old, speech therapy would mostly consist of the therapist teaching you techniques. I have some good documents at work I can send you that detail some techniques to use in parent friendly language. So PM me your email address if you want.

I worked for the 0-3 program in NC for 2 years so I PMed him that info!

jamesda3 said:
She is not very outgoing she is very independant. She knows how to clean up after herself throws her diapers away

This sounds like me when I was younger. Except for the part about cleaning up after my self; still don't do that very well.

she does wave and point to things she wants. She is starting to recognize colors and point them out. I am probably just concerned because of how quickly her brother developed compared to her.

Back