• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WHERE ARE THE STUDENTS?

Studying isn't an excuse. There is plenty of time to study in a week and on Sunday. People won't go because the games aren't fun. It's not losing, it's being embarrassed on the field. I'd rather be drunk in the parking lot too.

As a consumer, that's my prerogative.

Some of the most die hard fans (the ones that post on here) said they didn't want to go into the games last year, instead they wanted to stay out in the parking lot and keep tailgating.

Probably 5% of our student population is comparable in fandom to many of the die-hard alumni that post on here. If the die-hards dont want to go into the game, why the hell would a casual student fan want to go in?

Just win baby!

(and stop running the ball on 3 and 5)

Some of the most die hard fans (the ones that post on here) said they didn't want to go into the games last year, instead they wanted to stay out in the parking lot and keep tailgating.

Probably 5% of our student population is comparable in fandom to many of the die-hard alumni that post on here. If the die-hards dont want to go into the game, why the hell would a casual student fan want to go in?

Just win baby!

Count me in the group that didn't want to go. I did, but it sucked. A lot. For those that don't share my sickness, I seriously doubt anyone would continue to subject themselves to it.

You should have added:

Any Alum: We were so much better fans when I went to school!

Any Student: Yeah, when you went to school it was soooo much easier than it is now!

Old Guy: When I was at Wake, we won like two games in four years. Lost by an average of 21 points. Yet the student section was always full and raucous. And we used to CHEER with the cheerleaders: "repel them, repel them, make them relinquish the ball!", etc.

This will not be a problem this year, they started Deacon Camp to get the new students indoctrinated and ready for the season. All 43 that attended are now die hards.

http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/genrel/082911aaa.html

"We've had a disconnect with our students in the past," said Director of Sports Marketing Nicole Jones. "So hopefully getting these 43 students to get excited, then hopefully they can get their friends excited. It's best to get them when they're freshmen."

Yeah Deacon Camp after a combined 11-33 year in your revenues sounded like the worst idea ever.

I thought most of the old guys who don't like us young un's stayed over the board whose name shall not be spoken?

Old Guy: When I was at Wake, we won like two games in four years. Lost by an average of 21 points. Yet the student section was always full and raucous. And we used to CHEER with the cheerleaders: "repel them, repel them, make them relinquish the ball!", etc.

I want to see a picture of this. I need some sort of evidence for these claims that the student section was FULL when you went to school.

LOL was that ever a common cheer? Tim Russert mentioned it about CHS (his and my alma mater) in one of his books.

LOL was that ever a common cheer? Tim Russert mentioned it about CHS (his and my alma mater) in one of his books.

... and the companion cheer, "Impede them, impede them, put obstacles in their way!"

Just win baby!

I consider myself a die hard fan. I didn't want to watch. There was one time when I was watching in Cville and my drinks kept getting stronger and stronger. A friend made me turn off the game. I had zero hope last year. It's the worst that I have witnessed as a fan. [Started at wake in '02].

To be fair, the Deacon Camp is bigger than just athletics. I'm glad I read the article because it looked really bad to suggest that only 43 freshmen wanted to take a few hours to learn the fight song and stuff like that.

I was just being mostly silly, but yes, it was actually a common cheer at one time. Can't really recall if it was lead by the cheerleaders or just emanated from the highly engaged and full student section. At that time, students sat essentially front and (almost) center in the west stands. Still should today, IMO.

Last edited:
Studying isn't an excuse. There is plenty of time to study in a week and on Sunday. People won't go because the games aren't fun. It's not losing, it's being embarrassed on the field. I'd rather be drunk in the parking lot too.

As a consumer, that's my prerogative.

Old Dude: Now, here's an example of a bad fan.

The Wake Maryland game in '07 was boring too when it was 24-3, soon to be 31-3. That comeback was fun, but if you'd of been there at all, you'd of missed the comeback.

Stop being spoiled and get your butt in the seat... and how about staying there long after you finish the pint you snuck in.

Old Guy: The student section looks like a damn easter basket with all the pastels.

Young Guy: dude, do know how much tail I get when I wear lavender and pink?

Old Guy: Tail? From other dudes maybe.

I was just being mostly silly, but yes, it was actually a common cheer at one time. Can't really recall if it was lead by the cheerleaders or just emanated from the highly engaged and full student section. At that time, students sat essentially front and (almost) center in the west stands. Still should today, IMO.

Yes, that's where the student section was, 10-15 rows (?) running about 40 yards or so behind the home bench, and if you didn't get there early, it filled up. If that happened, they usually gave you a random seat up in one of the corners. Of course, it really did feel like a large high school stadium sometimes, with a "home side" and a "visitor's side".

being able to use profanity is going to breathe new life into this tired old topic

Young guy: "I came to Wake because I didn't get into Princeton? I'm not really a football fan anyway."

Old Guy: "Back in the day, we were born Deacons!"

Back