• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who deserves to have a job?

We don't want Martin to get hurt due to the non-existant blocking.

We've usually got 2 or 3 walkons out there trying to block on special teams when we have more than capable athletes redshirting.

BUY:
Tanner- great throws today that weren't hauled in; fumble sucked but shit happens. The O-line isn't great but he typically buys time for himself.
Kinal- stud
Redding- gets pressure and plays hurt
T-Bo- does his job, can't say the same for a lot of players
Deandre Martin- cannot wait to see more of him
O-line isn't terrible- we have two guards playing tackle, a back-up center playing guard, former DT playing guard, and a veteran center. They are what we thought they were

SHOW ME SOMETHING:
Josh Harris- expectations are a bitch. Sooner I stop expecting him to be a stud the better for my mental health.
Nikita- not a factor so far this year
KJ & Bud- I don't know how much is a reflection of the scheme but they have been pedestrian at best

SELL:
All wide receivers not named Campanaro. Team needed them to step up and they literally dropped the ball.
Special Teams as a unit sucks. Can't block and can't return.
ALL LBs. For every one good play they have three bad ones. No excuses. All of them.
The 3-4
Knorr and defensive playcalling

Oddly enough, I really don't think Lobo called that bad a game today (and I usually hate him). WR's were awful as a whole, Tanner missed a couple receivers and made one bad error, but otherwise I thought the offense looked OK. We shot ourselves in the foot on offense, and the defense was just plain pitiful. We need a new DC or scheme ASAP.

Totally agree, our defense(supposedly the strength of the team, especially the db's) have been horrible. We can't cover anyone.

I don't have the same level of dislike in seeing Lovell return kicks but Reynolds is awful. We absolutely positively need to find someone else to put back there who will run with a full head of steam and make something happen. the blocking is less of a factor than orville's habit of coming to a complete stop then throwing a few k-mart jukes before getting tackled at the 12 on each kick. people were cheering for every touchback today as we knew it was a positive play versus if orville tried to run it. i hope the kid can start to show something given the hype but this is certainly not even close to what we thought we'd see this year.

Why are people complaining about Lovell Jackson returning kickoffs? He didn't return one all day.....

And the one punt he returned, he gained 12 yards on it.

We've usually got 2 or 3 walkons out there trying to block on special teams when we have more than capable athletes redshirting.

We've got a lot of scholarships. If the walk-ons can't do the job, use scholarship players. We used to have guys like Gattis, Vaughn, and Curry on special teams as seniors. No need to have walk-ons if they can't handle business.

I don't have the same level of dislike in seeing Lovell return kicks but Reynolds is awful. We absolutely positively need to find someone else to put back there who will run with a full head of steam and make something happen. the blocking is less of a factor than orville's habit of coming to a complete stop then throwing a few k-mart jukes before getting tackled at the 12 on each kick. people were cheering for every touchback today as we knew it was a positive play versus if orville tried to run it. i hope the kid can start to show something given the hype but this is certainly not even close to what we thought we'd see this year.

Orville's hype from last year was more out of desperation than production. I didn't think he brought much to the table at RB. Thank God for Martin.

Why are people complaining about Lovell Jackson returning kickoffs? He didn't return one all day.....

And the one punt he returned, he gained 12 yards on it.

It's a career complaint. Aside from one play against Stanford, he's done jack when he was purported to be at least the second coming of Kevin Marion.

It's a career complaint. Aside from one play against Stanford, he's done jack when he was purported to be at least the second coming of Kevin Marion.

I guess, but it's pretty clear that since the Florida State game, the scouting report has been for teams to kick it to Orville. It doesn't matter who else we put out there, because the ball isn't coming to them anyway.

Yeah the special teams is just horrific.

Remember when we actually used to return KO's past the 15 (and even broke a few for long gains and even TDs)?
Remember when we blocked the occasional punt?
Remember when we used to actually catch punts and not let them roll for an extra 20 yards? (and even broke a few for long gains and even TDs)?
Remember when we used to feel pretty good about FG attempts inside 45 yards?

Orville's hype from last year was more out of desperation than production. I didn't think he brought much to the table at RB. Thank God for Martin.

At the end of the year, we are going to hear Grobe say how he really should have figured a way to get Reynolds more touches this year. And before you know it, he will have graduated without really doing a whole lot. It's strange, but it seems that some of the guys that play as true frosh kind of flame out as their career progresses. Hopefully that is not the case for Reynolds.

Won't discuss players, but it sure seems that we fired the wrong coaches in the offseason. It's astounding to me that a BCS team apparently doesn't have either a nickel or dime package. If the 3-4 is all we practice, then you'd think we'd at least be decent at it.

Remember when we used to actually catch punts and not let them roll for an extra 20 yards? (and even broke a few for long gains and even TDs)?

We don't even try to catch most punts. No even fair catch. Why do we so often just let them go?

BUY:
Tanner- great throws today that weren't hauled in; fumble sucked but shit happens. The O-line isn't great but he typically buys time for himself.
Kinal- stud
Redding- gets pressure and plays hurt
T-Bo- does his job, can't say the same for a lot of players
Deandre Martin- cannot wait to see more of him
O-line isn't terrible- we have two guards playing tackle, a back-up center playing guard, former DT playing guard, and a veteran center. They are what we thought they were

SHOW ME SOMETHING:
Josh Harris- expectations are a bitch. Sooner I stop expecting him to be a stud the better for my mental health.
Nikita- not a factor so far this year
KJ & Bud- I don't know how much is a reflection of the scheme but they have been pedestrian at best

SELL:
All wide receivers not named Campanaro. Team needed them to step up and they literally dropped the ball.
Special Teams as a unit sucks. Can't block and can't return.
ALL LBs. For every one good play they have three bad ones. No excuses. All of them.
The 3-4
Knorr and defensive playcalling

Harris had a solid game yesterday. Averaged nearly 5 yards a carry, 84 total. So, IMO, he showed something yesterday.

I agree with all your "buys" though. Tanner is a good QB who is making good decisions and trying to make plays when no one else will. And T-Bo is doing everything we need a full back to do.

I may be in the minority here, but it seems like on defense we aren't giving our players a chance to be successful. We play them pretty far off the line (against a team that runs a lot of bubble screens), and really only give them a chance to make the tackle instead of the "big" play. I'd like to see KJ and Bud put in more feast or famine positions where the risk is greater but the rewards would be excellent.

They have the talent to do so and I think the current schemes are rendering their skills useless and denigrating them to average CB's when they have the potential to be great ones. I'd be interested to see how the defensive players feel about this as well.

Also, kudos to Okoro yesterday, he had a helluva game.

Won't discuss players, but it sure seems that we fired the wrong coaches in the offseason. It's astounding to me that a BCS team apparently doesn't have either a nickel or dime package. If the 3-4 is all we practice, then you'd think we'd at least be decent at it.

Especially when we have the depth and experience in the secondary to justify both situational packages.

Back