• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who deserves to have a job?

I may be in the minority here, but it seems like on defense we aren't giving our players a chance to be successful. We play them pretty far off the line (against a team that runs a lot of bubble screens), and really only give them a chance to make the tackle instead of the "big" play. I'd like to see KJ and Bud put in more feast or famine positions where the risk is greater but the rewards would be excellent.

They have the talent to do so and I think the current schemes are rendering their skills useless and denigrating them to average CB's when they have the potential to be great ones. I'd be interested to see how the defensive players feel about this as well.

Also, kudos to Okoro yesterday, he had a helluva game.

I don't think you're in the minority, I don't think anyone really understands the defensive schemes/why we're running what we're running. The defense hasn't made sense for quite some time now, my question is why is it it manifesting itself now? We have guys who I thought understood the game and know how to play. This defense was supposed to be a pretty solid defense and has some of the better individual players we've ever recruited/had. It's frustrating.

I agree. I certainly don't know more than the coaching staff, but it seems to me like we aren't allowing our skilled guys to go out there and make plays. That's what we brought them in to do. Of course they will make mistakes, but I would rather see us lose defensively where we man up and take it right at the offense than lose the way we are now.

It's frustrating to watch as fans and I'm sure it's frustrating for the players too.

Back