• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who Else Is On The Hot Seat?

from an outsider's perspective.

Unless Bzz's team collapses late in the season I think he is back next season. Wellman wants him to succeed and he already has more wins this season than any of his first 3.

Donahue is in the mos trouble. Was expected to challenge for an NCAA bid with 98% of the minutes back and has 6 wins. New AD as well. I think he is gone.

Turgeon has at least 1 more year at MD - they don't have the money to fire.

Brownwell at Clemson will be ok unless they collapse.

Gregory probably has 2 more years at GT (GT has 2 more years paying Hewitt at $1.4M per year -which is more than they pay Gregory). This year is a lost cause for GT. They have suffered 4 season ending injuries and are down to 8 scholarship players. They lost Carter (their most talented player), Jorgenson (would have been the primary PG), Morris (never seen someone so unlucky, stress fracture before season, comes back, gets in a car accident and suffers a concussion, comes back and now breaks his foot), and Poole. With a new AD (Xavier's AD) I could see Gregory being fired next year if they have a losing season next year. Otherwise I think he gets 5 yrs so they can have Hewitt's contract payed off. Given he had only 8 scholarship players his first season (and no home arena) and is back down to 8 scholarship players this year due to injuries he likely gets a little slack.

Johnson I could see going. VT is terrible. New AD at VT as well and Johnson is really cheap.

If you asked me to put money on it Donahue and Johnson go, everyone else remains.

RamblinRed

There's plenty of rumors around that GT's new AD has worked out some kind of deferred compensation package with Hewitt that cuts down the yearly payments (though obviously over a longer time frame). Either way, it's hard to see GT cutting Gregory loose since he was hired in the first place as a cost saving move - it was a simple acknowledgement that GT is a football school, doesn't care that much about basketball and the fans would be willing to swallow another 3-5 years of garbage while getting out from under Hewitt's buyout. Find some middle of the road coach who would be friendly with the press, pay him peanuts and just throw a terrible product on the court for a while. Hell, it's what Auburn has been doing for going on 100 years now.

Vad,

My belief is that GT will likely make a move on Gregory after year 5 unless he has a huge year, I don't expect Bobinski to sit on things for long. He has too many basketball contacts for that.

Very few AD's will fire a coach in fewer than 4 years unless they are abject failures. Most AD's are going to give a coach 4-5 years to allow their initial classes to get to upperclassmen status.

Your really not being fair the the AA. They didn't have the money to go out and pay $2M for a big coach.

RamblinRed

Didn't Gregory just sign an extension that runs through 2018?

I would imagine that Gregory is safe so long as they're digging out from under Hewitt's terrible contract -and maybe Johnson's future buyout too ;-

There are 2 ways of looking at the VT season. Greenberg's recruits (Eddie and Raines) have not stepped up as Seniors. On the other hand, both have shown no improvement since Johnson took over. It was a huge red flag when a true freshman was named as a captain before the season started. Attendance is very low. An assistant AD has publicly expressed concern over the finances of the department. The future of Johnson will depend on who the new AD chooses to listen to at this stage.

Your really not being fair the the AA. They didn't have the money to go out and pay $2M for a big coach.

RamblinRed

Of course they didn't. Doesn't mean they had to hire someone they knew was going to be "average" at best. There's plenty of exciting young D2 or even high school coaches who would have lept at the chance and done it for even less money than Gregory. Colleges - in general, in every sport - take far too few risks when hiring.

GT could have spent $250k a year on someone like Nevada Smith (now in the Rockets organization coaching their D-League outfit) and rolled the dice. Would have been a superior choice to a known mediocrity in Gregory for $950k a year. Just a stupid, stupid hire.

Doubt he's on the so-called 'hot seat' just yet, but Frank Martin is a sterling 4-20 in SEC play in his 1.5 seasons in Columbia so far.

I doubt there is a basketball situation in the country that is worse than what Frank Martin stepped into in Columbia. He is being paid 2 mil a year to try and turn it around as put people in that 18K capacity arena.

I doubt there is a basketball situation in the country that is worse than what Frank Martin stepped into in Columbia. He is being paid 2 mil a year to try and turn it around as put people in that 18K capacity arena.

I've been to a handful of USC games since Martin's arrival, and watching him "coach" makes me uncomfortable. Everyone knows he's a hardass, but jesus christ, I've never seen a coach berate his players like that. He spends the majority of each TO ripping one single player a new asshole instead of coaching up the whole team.

Best example: a few weeks ago, the Cocks were down by 2 against Ole Miss with 30 seconds left and the ball. He called TO and then spent at least half the TO berating the point guard using every single expletive under the sun while the rest of the team was just awkwardly standing around waiting on him to finish so they could figure out a play. You could hear the shit he was saying 15 rows up, no problem.

I just don't see how that kind of coaching is sustainable.

I've been to a handful of USC games since Martin's arrival, and watching him "coach" makes me uncomfortable. Everyone knows he's a hardass, but jesus christ, I've never seen a coach berate his players like that. He spends the majority of each TO ripping one single player a new asshole instead of coaching up the whole team.

Best example: a few weeks ago, the Cocks were down by 2 against Ole Miss with 30 seconds left and the ball. He called TO and then spent at least half the TO berating the point guard using every single expletive under the sun while the rest of the team was just awkwardly standing around waiting on him to finish so they could figure out a play. You could hear the shit he was saying 15 rows up, no problem.

I just don't see how that kind of coaching is sustainable.

Leitao was the same way when he was here. Although he didn't look as scary as Martin. Martin looks like a made man from New York.

Maybe Mike Brey?

A lot of ND bball fans grumble about Brey, but ND doesn't invest much into their bball program and don't pay Brey a whole lot (under $600k/yr). If ND invested the money Baylor did into its program back around 2006, you'd see the same uptick in on-court success, particularly in the post season. ND's bball facilities are worse than a lot of mid-majors. Their AD probably knows he has too good of a thing going there in terms of ROI and has Brey under contract for multiple years too.

Tar Heel Capel should be updating his resume...App State is headed to another single digit win season

Leitao was the same way when he was here. Although he didn't look as scary as Martin. Martin looks like a made man from New York.

Ha I remember Leitao chewing out some big guy (Watson maybe ?) at the ACCT at like midnight against Clemson so loud both people still in attendance could hear it.

I really don't think Bzz is going to back. I think we're going to win 17 games at the MOST this year. Its hard to defend 8-24, 13-18, 13-18 and 17-14.

Losing Josh Smith has killed G'town as they have no one who can score in the middle. Academic issues caused Josh Smith's absence; so that could also be tied back to JT III. They play Michigan State on Saturday. If/when G'town loses that game, they will only make the NCAAs if they win the Big East tourney.

And just like that, G'town beats Michigan State.

Buzz is costing us money. He will not be back.

BC is a major disappointment. They have two all acc guys and some size.

Back